S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old May 28th, 2014, 03:20 AM   #1
rinkraptor

Default How's Wheels These Dayz ?

Hey Doc, are the wheel makers doing any better these days ? Radar still putting out good wheels ?
rinkraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 05:14 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Talking You got some readin' to do..

Radar makes some decent wheels still but none are hard enough for me any more.

The current good stuff in order of my personal preference.

1) Scott Corey's VFH compound poured on the Bont Micro bearing hubs. (very expensive and extremely limited availability)

Note the weight with 7mm micro bearings installed.

2) 97 and 101A Bones Turbos. (expensive but can be found discounted at which point they can be an excellent cost / performance value)

These take the "normal" 627b bearings.

3) 98A SG Zombies. (Possibly the best bang for the buck available)

4) Labeda Ruby red Stilettos (expensive to very expensive due to extremely high wholesale.)

Odd, I don't have a pic handy. Look in the SeSS catalog @ the rink.

This is based on my preferences and the results I see from the sales to "my" sponsored derby team and other local sk8rs.

You will still see me rolling some of the olde school stuff like my Orange and Yellow Interceptors, Red and Purple Sims Vipers and my old red Ultimate Weapons. .

Much has changed since I moved north and you got out of the sport. So, what kind of shape is Star City's floor these days?? I doubt these wheels would be optimum for that floor as I remember it.
Old May 29th, 2014, 07:52 PM   #3
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

I can concur with the Docster, the RBT's in 92 -101 are a good bet. I say 92 because they are ultra smooth and not much slower than the 97, but that's just my personal preference. Haven't rolled Radars recently so I can't comment there. The Scotts are the ultimate in wheel performance, there again my opinion and preference. I roll 96 and 98 Super Enforcers and my fiance rolls 90's. She hauls mail with hers but on occasions I may have to scrub my speed somewhat to keep from running over her but for the most part she cooks my can out there. Alot of that depends on the floor and personal well being that particular session.
Old May 30th, 2014, 12:55 AM   #4
rinkraptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Much has changed since I moved north and you got out of the sport. So, what kind of shape is Star City's floor these days?? I doubt these wheels would be optimum for that floor as I remember it.
Yes Doc, much has changed..... And I've been AWOL so long I've lost touch with it all. Last time I saw the SC floor Richard had just gooed it up with a nice nasty thick coat of goo, and you could stick to it like a fly on a ceiling. Sk8ing on it at 280 lbs was like driving that old Pack Rat compactor truck when it was full of garbage; that was why I decided to wait to get rid of the weight before returning to the floor. I generally prefer the hardest wheel I can get a good grip with. Maybe my best bet is to dig out the old Kryptonics Afterburners and get them re-grooved; I never did get that done.
rinkraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 03:10 AM   #5
gbrouillard

If you can find them, Anabolix Purple Reign 99A.

Here is a Labeda Stiletto 97A that Doc mentioned.

NOTE: There is a setting in photobucket that eliminates all the extra garbage in the img code. Member wired pointed it out to me but I do not recollect what it was exactly.

Last edited by Doc Sk8; May 30th, 2014 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Cleaned up the image code.
gbrouillard is offline   Reply With Quote