S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old October 15th, 2014, 04:01 PM   #1
Ogsk8erboi

Post Bones Team 101A vs Elite 101A

I was trying to get opinions on the difference between the new roller bones team wheels vs. the roller bones elite wheel?

I've tried the original Powell Bones Elite in 101A and Super Elite in 101A and Loved it but never the roller bones (Team)

I know both must be made out of different materials. But now that the New Bones Team has a 101A hardness for some of the wheels what is the difference between it and how do they compare to the 101A Roller Bones Elite

(lol besides price. $40 does sounds better than $75 even though it might not be)

vs

Ogsk8erboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 02:30 AM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogsk8erboi View Post
I was trying to get opinions on the difference between the new roller bones team wheels vs. the roller bones elite wheel?

Why?? What anyone that does not sk8 where you sk8 is most likely not going to provide you with any relevant info.... other than a generality or 2.

I've tried the original Powell Bones Elite in 101A and Super Elite in 101A and Loved it but never the roller bones (Team)

So you love the Elites?? Why not stick with them. Old mechanics rule, "If it works. don't fix it"

I know both must be made out of different materials.

Bingo. You have broken the code.

But now that the New Bones Team has a 101A hardness for some of the wheels what is the difference between it and how do they compare to the 101A Roller Bones Elite

(lol besides price. $40 does sounds better than $75 even though it might not be)
You have pretty much answered your own question. Typically, less expensive wheels are made with a lower grade of urethane so they do not perform as well at the limits..or even get to the limits.

Durometer has really nothing to do with how a wheel performs other than comparing it to wheels of similar construction and compound. A cheap wheel wheel rated at "X" durometer will not perform like an expensive one @ the same durometer...

Now I'll give ya a hint. Sure Grip has a new art wheel out..The Royal. I know 2 sk8rs that parked their Bones to test the Royals. One bought a new set, the other has yet to give his testers back.

Now anyone that has actually compared these two?? Chime in.
Old October 16th, 2014, 08:06 PM   #3
Ogsk8erboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
You have pretty much answered your own question. Typically, less expensive wheels are made with a lower grade of urethane so they do not perform as well at the limits..or even get to the limits.

Durometer has really nothing to do with how a wheel performs other than comparing it to wheels of similar construction and compound. A cheap wheel wheel rated at "X" durometer will not perform like an expensive one @ the same durometer...

Now I'll give ya a hint. Sure Grip has a new art wheel out..The Royal. I know 2 sk8rs that parked their Bones to test the Royals. One bought a new set, the other has yet to give his testers back.

Now anyone that has actually compared these two?? Chime in.
thanks they look really nice. and price is reasonable. btw where could I go to test out wheels like these or to get tester wheels DOC?
Ogsk8erboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogsk8erboi View Post
thanks they look really nice. and price is reasonable. btw where could I go to test out wheels like these or to get tester wheels DOC?
Where to test?? Here!! Ya never know what might show up.

Get wheels to test on your own?? You need to make friends with a wheel manufacturer and then convince them they will get value for the money invested in the samples and the shipping to you. Detailed reports on what the wheels do, how they work, don't work, consistency, quality,etc... You name it, they want to know it ...
Old November 8th, 2014, 05:23 AM   #5
Sir Aaron

I know this is a bit of a late response. I've become an obsessive wheel collector of sorts. It drives my wife batty because I've got several sets of completely unused wheels, most of them RollerBones (all ART wheels because I'm an ART skater).

I've got all the RollerBones ART wheels in all sizes and have had some correspondence with Rollerbones related to the wheels. The team wheels are supposedly made from different urethane. In my opinion, the Super Elite was one of their best wheels because of the hub (didn't care for the grooves). The team wheels start off pretty grippy but then get slick over time as they seem to compress or wear. The Super Elite and Elite seem to remain more constant in their respective grip. But out of the box, I'd say you'd probably find their performance to be similar. It's after several hours of use that you'd see a difference. Team wheels are also easy to make flats, but not nearly as bad as Komplex.

One of the forum members was supposed to send me a set of Royals to test but I've not heard back from him. I'm off skates for a couple months so no hurry. Besides, I've pretty much switched to Roll Line. I've got a couple kids in the club on other wheels like Rollerbones and Komplex.
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 02:29 PM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Aaron View Post
I know this is a bit of a late response. I've become an obsessive wheel collector of sorts. It drives my wife batty because I've got several sets of completely unused wheels, most of them RollerBones (all ART wheels because I'm an ART skater).

Makes perfect sense. Having a case of SEDS is also a good reason.

Team wheels are also easy to make flats, but not nearly as bad as Komplex.

This I can vouch for. Same issues with Komplex here. Look at 'em hard and they go flat.

One of the forum members was supposed to send me a set of Royals to test but I've not heard back from him. I'm off skates for a couple months so no hurry. Besides, I've pretty much switched to Roll Line. I've got a couple kids in the club on other wheels like Rollerbones and Komplex.
IF you don't get the Royal testers, buy a set. I'd send ya mine but they moved to Florida....and I did not.
Old November 10th, 2014, 03:09 AM   #7
Sir Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
IF you don't get the Royal testers, buy a set. I'd send ya mine but they moved to Florida....and I did not.
I'll definitely be thinking about it. The wheels I really want to try are STDs.
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote