S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old March 17th, 2016, 11:24 PM   #1
buddig

Default Why not narrow wheels on quad skates...

I wonder why quad skates and cruise skateboards all have wide wheels, when we know from inline skates,
that narrow and bigger wheels is faster and provides less resistance.
I changed my skateboard wheels from 54 mm to narrow 76 mm wheels from my inliners, and what a difference.
My skateboard rolls much easier and faster especially on rough asphalt.
I've never seen this done before, but it works very well.
Somebody knows, why narrow wheels is normally not used on quad skates and cruise skatebuards /longboards?
I'm still inline skating, but about 3 month ago, I began to learn skateboarding.
Henning
Old March 18th, 2016, 12:01 AM   #2
jotson

They do make QualLine skates. I've only seen them at the local rink once. They tend to have a wide stance. Not sure why they aren't popular, other than they aren't from Australia

http://www.skates.com/QuadLine-Rolle...s-s/121569.htm

Turning roller skates into QuadLines from Richard Humphrey
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2016, 12:33 AM   #3
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Narrow wheels tend to lean and roll over sideways, you need lateral stability in a quad to make the action work correctly.

Grip increases some when you narrow a quad wheel until the action vant be worked efficiently.

2 wheels, 99A 62mm tall.... A is 44mm wide B is 30mm wide.
B has more grip for most situations. Until the urethane reaches a shear point, at that point it will slip reguardless of the surface grip available. Another reason scotts urethane grips so damn well.

Smaller contact patch increases pressures, it helps. But it doesnt solve all the problems.
Old March 18th, 2016, 12:36 AM   #4
Armadillo

To grasp why too narrow inline wheels are unsuitable for serious quad skates and skating, you have to wrap your mind around the way that your push stroke must function to generate forward skating momentum/speed.

With Quad skates the direction of the push (once you are rolling at a decent speed) is pointed at 90 laterally outward, away from the direction of roll.
All four wheels stay in flat contact with the rolling surface (no wheel leanover), and to avoid having the wheels slipping laterally across the rolling surface as you push, a minimum amount of wheel width must maintain intimate contact with the surface during peak force of the push stroke, or grip will not be maintained. The urethane contact patch is not shaped right to grip enough to resist a strong quad push stroke.

Skateboards will not hold grip on curves if inline wheels are used, and they will quickly be shredded away down to the full width of the inline wheels as they slide through turns and shed speed.

Quads rolling inline wheels will also be shredded away until the wheels get flat all the way across, but this is just from the lateral pushing and slipping. Quads need about a minimum of 30mm wheel width to hold good grip during the push strokes.

Quadline skate wheels are a slap in the face. They pretend that a curved inline wheel profile will not immediately be shredded away down to a flat profile, but that is exactly what happens.
Are they total morons, or what? They need to make Quadline wheels that START OUT flat to the pavement --- NOT ROUNDED --- and even if flatted from the factory, the narrower inline wheels will still wear out much quicker than narrow quad wheels do.

Since the push with skateboards is DIRECTED rearward, not lateral, the inline wheels on them can roll fine and fast, but they will die a fast death from getting shreaded away as they go sliding through the curves faster than you want to go.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; March 21st, 2016 at 10:18 PM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2016, 12:55 AM   #5
buddig

Thanks to you for the answers.
Because I'm a beginner on skateboard, I do not slide sidewards, I only enjoy, that it rolls easy and long time between every push. (until my wheels is worn out)
Old March 19th, 2016, 12:04 AM   #6
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddig View Post
Thanks to you for the answers.
Because I'm a beginner on skateboard, I do not slide sidewards, I only enjoy, that it rolls easy and long time between every push. (until my wheels is worn out)
In a straight line, inline wheels work very well on skateboards. I have used 110mm inline wheels on my long board and the roll is excellent. Doesn't carve worth a darn, but the roll is nice.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2016, 12:43 AM   #7
Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
In a straight line, inline wheels work very well on skateboards. I have used 110mm inline wheels on my long board and the roll is excellent. Doesn't carve worth a darn, but the roll is nice.
^^This is about it.

One other thing. My first pair of quads (after modern urethane was invented) were used both indoors and out. The wheels lasted me literally forever. Literally 10+ years mostly in rinks with synthetic floors but plenty of outdoor hours.

My inline skates (and one of the reasons I took a break from them for 2 years to pick up longboarding) go through a set of wheels about every 1000 miles/6 months the way I skate recreationally. If I play hockey in a parking lot I can go through 3 sets of wheels in ONE AFTERNOON. When I played hockey on quads - no apparent wear to the wheels.

Since quads and skateboards have TRUCKS that do the turning, you do not need EDGES like ice and inline skates. So you NEED more of a wheel contact patch so you don't slide out on every turn.

If you don't keep your edges sharp on ice skates, guess what? Slide out on turns, slip under power pushing. And it is hard to mentally grasp that inline skate wheels have "edges", but trust me here, they do have functional edges.

Hope this helps! You wanna recycle your old inline skate wheels to your skateboard to save some cash? I can't blame you. If you are not sliding out while cutting a tight turn...rock on!
Old March 19th, 2016, 10:47 PM   #8
ursle
Street Skater

Thin metal wheels on granite, turn off the sound, boots are tied up past the ankle, makes him seem a bit stiff, but wow...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aus1PA5-SyI
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2016, 11:51 PM   #9
buddig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
...You wanna recycle your old inline skate wheels to your skateboard to save some cash? I can't blame you. If you are not sliding out while cutting a tight turn...rock on!
Yes, I have been thinking about buying some longboard wheels, but before I buy them,
I would I try the inline wheels, and I was very surprised.
The skateboard was very noisy, so I couldn't hear the cars. With the inline wheels it is silent.
Another advantage especially on the rough asphalt.
Next time I go to the skatehall I'll bring the original skateboard wheels with me.
They are easy too change back, if I shall try to skate ramps.
Old March 20th, 2016, 03:08 AM   #10
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Thin metal wheels on granite, turn off the sound, boots are tied up past the ankle, makes him seem a bit stiff, but wow...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aus1PA5-SyI
It apeard from the cut scenes that Donald O'Conner and Fred Astair had locked their wheels during the tap dance portions of thieir skate scenes. Not really sure, but this, (Gene Kelly) looks totally ligit.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 12:31 AM   #11
jotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
It apeard from the cut scenes that Donald O'Conner and Fred Astair had locked their wheels during the tap dance portions of thieir skate scenes. Not really sure, but this, (Gene Kelly) looks totally ligit.
Totally plausible with the Donald O'Conner video, but the Fred Astair and Ginger Rogers video is constant motion, so I don't think they were locked. I always thought Fred was known for "one take" scenes.

Regardless, that was some awesome talent on all these scenes. Can you image skating dressed like Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire?
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 10:42 AM   #12
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotson View Post

Regardless, that was some awesome talent on all these scenes. Can you image skating dressed like Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire?
Yea, like one song. Funny how the okd shows like "Leave it to Beaver" the old folks did everything in suits. Walk around town, rude bikes whatever. Must have been super hot.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2016, 10:31 PM   #13
LambChopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Yea, like one song. Funny how the okd shows like "Leave it to Beaver" the old folks did everything in suits. Walk around town, rude bikes whatever. Must have been super hot.

I asked my mother-in-law and father-in-law about this, and they said it wasn't really like that. They dressed in casual clothes for casual activities. Hollywood strikes again.
LambChopper is offline   Reply With Quote