S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old July 1st, 2008, 07:45 PM   #121
Ancient1

Rick,
I only know their first names: Gail and Alan. They are both old time skaters. Alan is from the UK, but has been in the USA for a long time. Gail came from the NorthEast, I suspect Mass from the accent. I only met them last night. Very satisfied!

Jim (The Ancient One)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
thats great Jim, thats 3/4 of the battle. who are the coaches there?
Old July 1st, 2008, 08:05 PM   #122
bobnva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Rick,
I only know their first names: Gail and Alan. They are both old time skaters. Alan is from the UK, but has been in the USA for a long time. Gail came from the NorthEast, I suspect Mass from the accent. I only met them last night. Very satisfied!

Jim (The Ancient One)
Any chance it's Gail Collier? If so your set.
bobnva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 08:30 PM   #123
Ancient1

Bob,
I'm not 100% sure, but I think her last name is Keicher. I think Alans last name is Anscombe.
Jim
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:54 AM   #124
rwsz

Quote:
Rick,

Jim (The Ancient One)

thats good, i am sure they will be right for you.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:20 AM   #125
NaNaDo

Hi Jim !!! I am so glad you seem to have found a new skate home !!!
I should wait another few days to post anything. ... we're OK... no falls or anything, just feeling the full 61 years today Since we were off lessons and practice for 4 months and now back only 4 weeks, we have been thinking we could push it a little to get back some strength we lost in those 4 short months ... "WRONG". We both felt so slow, clumsy and uncordinated tonight. Even the very simple Glide Waltz felt like a Doom and Gloom Waltz!!!!

Thank God we do skate, because I think this is what a 61 year old "inactive" person feels like, and I sure don't like it!!!

So I guess we need to practice what I was preaching to you!!! "Take our time" and in a few more weeks the little bit we lost will come back !!! I hope it goes a little better Thursday !?!?!?
NaNaDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 06:07 AM   #126
Ancient1

Regina,
It could be that it is just an off night. Don't kill yourself, but you have to push hard enought to feel it, just not so hard that you injure yourself. A little balance, yin and yang, give and take...
I know what it is like. On the new floor, I could barely spin. After 3 hours I could barely lift my legs. Yes it's tough, but it is worth it. You will get your strength and balance back. It just takes more effort than when we were younger. Best of luck and good health,
Old July 2nd, 2008, 10:00 AM   #127
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnva View Post
Any chance it's Gail Collier? If so your set.
They're in Orange CA. She and Dennis are at the rink there.

I spoke with her at Gold Skate and she's not teaching a lot this year.
MWehmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 01:45 AM   #128
cheryl murphy

Talking Hi, I'm back

Hi all! wow, I have missed a lot of goings on! Jim, I am so glad you are ok and have found a new home. I dropped out of site for a while because I was pouting. I just couldn't seem to get my skates done. I still do not have them, but I think I will within 2 weeks. I mailed them off to Saturday. So, I will be joining the ranks of all of you. It is so nice to be encouraged. This is a great commuity and I am very glad to be a part of it. I can sure tell it is going to be an uphill battle but I am ready.
Old July 8th, 2008, 03:21 AM   #129
NaNaDo

Hi Cheryl.... "Welcome Back" !!! Good to see you are still here, Sad though, for you and your skates Hope the time goes quickly until the skates come back.

Uphill battle??? yes, some days it will be, but well worth all the struggles. I know you will be having the time of your life once you get going!

Jim .... it did get better for us during this past two weeks, Kenny thinks it is mainly because our last Coach kep us apart for so long that we are just struggling skating together again. Last night was "Real Good" !!! We had a great time doing dance steps together at session. And Thursday night we will have another lesson!!!

Last edited by NaNaDo; July 8th, 2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #130
Ancient1

Cheryl,
What happened to the skates? I see that you had to mail them off. I'm sorry to hear that it has been this long of a wait for you. It would kill me to have to way that long, so I do feel for you.
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #131
Ancient1

Regina,
I am glad that you and Kenny are getting back in sync. Yes, being away can mess up the timing, but it comes back fast.
Old July 9th, 2008, 12:51 AM   #132
cheryl murphy

Quote:
Cheryl,
What happened to the skates? I see that you had to mail them off. I'm sorry to hear that it has been this long of a wait for you. It would kill me to have to way that long, so I do feel for you.
Jim, can't wait to have a current photo as my avatar with skates on! I ended up mailing them to someone I knew from my past with the blessings of Jon from Loveland in Ohio. Hope to have them before nationals, since they all will be going.
Old July 9th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #133
cheryl murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaNaDo View Post
Hi Cheryl.... "Welcome Back" !!! Good to see you are still here, Sad though, for you and your skates Hope the time goes quickly until the skates come back.

Uphill battle??? yes, some days it will be, but well worth all the struggles. I know you will be having the time of your life once you get going!

Jim .... it did get better for us during this past two weeks, Kenny thinks it is mainly because our last Coach kep us apart for so long that we are just struggling skating together again. Last night was "Real Good" !!! We had a great time doing dance steps together at session. And Thursday night we will have another lesson!!!
Hi Regina, thank you and I am glad to see you are doing so well. I wish I had a club close by, looks like I will be doing some driving!
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #134
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl murphy View Post
Jim, can't wait to have a current photo as my avatar with skates on! I ended up mailing them to someone I knew from my past with the blessings of Jon from Loveland in Ohio. Hope to have them before nationals, since they all will be going.
Cheryl,

I dunno... I'm going to miss that picture of you and Don. You look so sweet and innocent... and so does Don. LOL!
MWehmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #135
Ancient1

Cheryl,
How did the first night on your new skates go? Please post a picture of your new skates with you in them.

An update on my comeback. It has been 3 weeks now at my new place to skate (Skate Mania) in Ocala, Fl. I'm getting use to the floor, which is much tighter than the previous rink. I am getting very comfortable in my mapes. It almost takes no effort now. I think I will soon be able to do a single loop. I believe that once I get the loop back, I will be able to get my wrap back. I hope it will be soon. I was able to get a few outerback upright spins... They were not pretty, but I did hold the edge and maintained a little control. My figures are now mostly on the line as my leg strength increases. I can barely go around 1 time in a dance before getting wore out and my form is horrible. I wouldn't even really call my dance as a dance. It is so bad, I can't concentrate on the music time, but it is improving.
Old July 26th, 2008, 01:13 AM   #136
RlrSk8r

Talking

Well NaNaDo said that since she isn't going to compete, she would use her Imperials....
What I don't understand is this - What's wrong with Imperials ? If you're going to compete, would you HAVE to get something else ? Does the sk8 have to be new-fangled/modern ?

I compete and I'm using something that LOOKS like an Imperial. I say it looks like, bcuz the sk8 started out as a size 12 Super Deluxe and I took the hangers off and redrilled the plate for a set of Imperial hangers. Then I cut the back of the plate off since it now is a size 7 plate.

I then mounted these under a Riedell 297 and am competing on them. The 297s are 2 seasons old and are rotted out. That's all I get out of a pair of boots. I sk8 hard a couple hours on Wed and then 5 hours on Sunday so the boot gets sopping wet and bcuz of the acid in my system, the boots mold and rot, even if I air them out. To stop the mold, I spray Clorox (full strength) in them and it KILLS the mold so the smell won't kill you. I know that the boot will last 2 years at the most, so I don't care what the Clorox will do to the leather.

I think I paid about $25 for the plates, just to experiment with them. I have a machine shop. What I built, I happen to like so much that I compete on them, even as ugly as they are. And I have to say that I don't do all that bad on them, either.

Anyway, I skated on Atlas for about 7 years but went back to the Imperial. I really like the imperial. I've been thinking about trying the Roll Line plate since Dave Ripp says it handles as well as the Imperial and it's lighter. I bought an Edea boot and will either get the Roll line plate or cut a bunch of metal off of the Imperial and replace some of the steel with titanium to make it lighter. I'm finding that as I get OLDER (heh heh, Bon Jovi line, there. I'm 60 now) I need (uhhh, OK,,,, I WANT a lighter sk8. I also find that the wheels and bearings are so heavy I might go with Roll Line wheels, since they are a lot lighter than the Bones. Also, I will go with those micro bearings, too.

A number of years ago I built a pair of "light-weight figure Imperials" and put them under a Risport boot and found that the lighter sk8 translated into more floor speed. They were a full pound lighter than the Reidell/Snyder and my patterns got bigger. That's what I want - LIGHT WEIGHT. I don't know if it will give me any better scores when I compete but I don't want to be as tired at the end of the 3 minutes.

So the bottom line is: use what you feel comfortable with and go out in front of the judges and STRUT YOUR STUFF, be it free style or figures or dance. When I go out on the floor, I'm thinking, "I OWN THIS PLACE and you're gonna watch ME ! And you're gonna ENJOY it. I'll make SURE of that."

One judge told me that she would rather see a clean program with good basics and maybe not so much content, than a program full of lots of heavy stuff that you can't do cleanly so you won't get as good a score (or if you're a dancer, have clean feet with good timing and posture). I've always believed that a sk8r needs to perfect his/her basics and have good posture, which will improve your feet and make it look like you are having fun and make the audience WANT to watch you. Only then will the judges want to watch you and then they will give you good scores.

If you don't believe this, just ask JimmyP or MaryLu W. I think they know more about this than I do.

Is it easy perfecting your basics ?

No....

Is it worth doing it to get good scores ?

PRICELESS !

Roger

Shameless commercial plug here for nationals:

Watch for me in MASTERS A SOLO (Roger) and us in VETERANS A TEAM (Pam and Roger, Melody Skating Club, Indiana)

I'll try to show some good basics and good posture
Y'All be cheerin' me, Ya Hear ?
RlrSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #137
Ancient1

Roger,
That's so cool. created your own skates in your metal shop. how cool! I agree about striving for perfection. Best of luck, brother.
Old July 26th, 2008, 02:13 AM   #138
NaNaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RlrSk8r View Post
Well NaNaDo said that since she isn't going to compete, she would use her Imperials....
What I don't understand is this - What's wrong with Imperials ? If you're going to compete, would you HAVE to get something else ? Does the sk8 have to be new-fangled/modern ?

Watch for me in MASTERS A SOLO (Roger) and us in VETERANS A TEAM (Pam and Roger, Melody Skating Club, Indiana)

I'll try to show some good basics and good posture
Y'All be cheerin' me, Ya Hear ?
Hi Roger !!!
First off "Best Wishes" skating Nationals !!! I'm happy for you and yes, will be sitting here at my computer cheering you on! We wish it could be us, maybe we will again, someday!!!

Now, to the important stuff Not a thing wrong with Imperials. I am happy mine lasted the 25 years in the attic and stll look good and work very well with the help of new cushions and todays wheels! They are special to me. My husband bought them for me shortly after we were married 35 years ago. And I remember the day he gave them to me like it was yesterday!!! Many, many years of fond memories are in these Imperials !!! Roger, they are just fine, I skate some great edges in them and cover the floor fine !!! People keep telling me the newer plates are just easier to manuever in and easier to maintain control. But I think I do pretty good and the Coach we have now never tries to tell us we would do better with the newer equipment. If we were going to compete I really doubt we would get the new plates, and no, it is not a "must" to have the latest equipment when competing, it just that most competitive skater do today!

And my husband is pleased as punch with his "old" super deluxe that were a special gift. He was joking with one of the men at our rink who had a nice set of older super deluxes, that he would "kill to have his old super deluxes back". He sold his when we gave up skating. Well this man got very sick and can not skate much anymore and one evening he gave Kenny his super deluxe plates, he wanted no money for them, he just wanted to make sure that "someone who would appreciate them got them, in case he didn't make it thru his surgery"!!! What a wonderful gift .... a gift that has such love attached to it is a precious thing!!!!

Interesting how you talked about the weight of the plates and wheels! That is the comment I keep getting, they are to heavy most people say. But I believe lifting the heavier skates helped me loose so much weight when we returned and also helps build and maintain the muscles in the legs. I am 61 and my husband will be 64 in the fall and so far we are hanging in there and the weight of the skates has not bothered us.

Thank you Roger and again, Best Wishes skating!!!
ps: Kenny is a machinist too
Old July 26th, 2008, 03:53 AM   #139
RogerSK8s

NaNaDo
I appreciate how you and Kenny like your sk8s. They are truly a work of art, from a machinist's point of view. Charlie Snyder used to work for General Motors (from what I heard) and started his sk8 business so he could make sk8s for his daughter and then things grew from there. He knew many things to make a great skate and I would not change the overall design of them. I think he overlooked a couple things which I have updated but I'm very happy with what he designed and built.

My coach isn't all that happy that I'm still on the Snyders. He uses Atlas and suggested that I switch to them. I told him that I used them for a few years and came BACK to the Snyder. I've sk8d on them again for over 15 years and won't go back to the atlas. It happens to be a cheap die cast plate and is lacking in proper performance. I like a fast reaction plate which is why I use the Imperial. Do I need fast reaction in a plate ? No. I just LIKE it.

Also, I built a figure plate some 15 or 20 years ago. When Atlas hit this country, it was marketed under the premise of being faster and more responsive - "You can fix your mistakes faster !" But look at the flip side of that: If you are ann esquire, masters or veterans figure sk8r, you will MAKE YOUR MISTAKES FASTER ! So obviously, you'll have to correct more of them and do it faster.
Do I want to make mistakes faster ? I don't think so. I want a plate that is so responsive that when I make a mistake, it won't show up until TOMORROW ! So while I'm seeing the mistake growing, I can fix it before I get off the line. You see, Fred Rannalli had this same idea and he built a figure sk8 that was specifically for forward figures ONLY. He only built 75 of them and I bought a pair for my (EX) wife. She liked them. Never won anything but she did like them. I got my idea from that platform. So when I start back sk8ing figures, I'll use that idea to build another pair of figure sk8s.

In the meantime, I'm happy with my Imperials. I need a set of lightweight Bones whiskey wheels(they haven't been invented YET). My coach insists that we wear the whiskeys so we don't draw attention to our feet. I keep telling him, tho, that I WANT people to watch my feet. WHY ?
I happen to have good, clean feet. There are some people who marvel at how clean my feet are and I WANT everybody to watch them.
Including the judges....Thanks for your well wishes at nationals. We'll be out there doing the best we can and hope it's good enough. At least we'll have fun showing off for the crowd.

RoGrrr
RogerSK8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 04:48 AM   #140
NaNaDo

Default ATTN: Roger and RlrS8r

EDIT: WHOOPS !!!!!!!!!
ATTN: Roger and RlrS8r
well age does this to ya!!!! I must have got confused .... 2 Rogers posting here!!! I thought you (Roger) were RlrS8r (also Roger)... forgive me if these comments were wrong !!!

Roger... I'm glad you brought that wonderful Avatar back!!!! I thought that's who I was posting to but wasn't positive until seeing the Avatar now.... Great pic of you!!! Fantastic posture and NICE leg extention !!!!

Yes, when I got my boots a few months ago we were still with our old coach and she was not happy that I kept my Imperials... She couldn't believe I would put a beautiful new boot on outdated plates!!! But I am perfectly comfortable with my Imperials and our new coach has no problem with what is on our feet. Besides, the skates don't make the skater, hard work and practice makes the skater. The latest equipment probably helps to enhance your skating though. But we are happy where we are.

Anything we can pull off at our age makes us happy.... right???? In my profile folder is a picture of us today... 30 years later and you know what? When I watch Kenny skate at session I still see that 26 year old guy I fell in love with rolling around out there!!! Our daughter in law put it nicely when she said ... Dad can be old and tired and burried in the sofa watching TV but put a pair of skates on his feet, roll him onto the floor and he comes back to life !!!!!!

Some of our buddies will skate when you do.... John and Jacquelin not sure of their last names, I believe they will skate Masters Team, they skate out of Holiday in NJ, but practice at Fantasy when we do. And the owner of Fantasy, where we take lessons now is Allen Bell (real great guy!!!) will skate Vetran Solo. Jeanne Sincavage who is doing some announcing at Nationals is the other owner of Fantasy. She usually skates with Allen in Vetrans Team but has had quite a few medical problems this past year, and is just now getting skates back on her feet.

Have fun designing and creating new plates and hope you can find the materials for a light weight set of wheels. If you find the materials you can turn your own wheels right??? Kenny takes our Bones 101's (whiskey ) to work occationally and turns them on the lathe to freshen them up!!! Nice you guys can do that!!!

Will be watching you and your wife.... Have a good time!!!

Last edited by NaNaDo; July 26th, 2008 at 05:07 AM. Reason: A big WHOOPS !!!