S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old October 17th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #41
larrydk

Default racing

In the developmental category is this open to all? I just don't want to get into people's way out there.

Also, is USARS needed to race bothe Quad and In-line?

Larry
larrydk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #42
biggyshorty
WadeYost

Yes, except elementry and below,I think. All of the older class's have novice division on inlines. But quads are all together no novice. You do need a usars card for both quads and inlines, so get yours sent in and come to the indy meet!
biggyshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #43
Jim White

Developmental starts with Primary, age 6 & 7 and continues with age groups every 2 years, finishing with Senior, which is 18 and up.

No need to worry about being in someone's way. If you want, you can skate towards the outside of the track, and the refs will let you know when someone is about to pass you so you can move out. There's a variety of speeds of skaters and never any problem with congestion with the slower skaters. (However, the faster skaters sometimes seem to want to be in the same place as another fast skater, lol.)

Anyone who is hesitant about the USARS card can get a one-day card, at the meet.
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #44
kufman

Quote:
Anyone who is hesitant about the USARS card can get a one-day card, at the meet.
I wasn't aware that the GLSL was still doing these.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 04:26 AM   #45
rwbskates
Gettin Faster, Slowly

Yes, you can get a one day card for ONE meet, then you should have a regular card for any meets after that.
rwbskates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 04:31 PM   #46
The Better Half

Matt.

You can always get a 1 day card for a meet.
The Better Half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #47
Jim Larson

I would seriously like to know who DADOFSKATER is?

I would hope he does come back to the next league meet in the GLSL and throw a temper tantrum in front of his own kid. Ones who complain about every little thing, are not really welcome any way! Those are not missed whats so ever!

You say you won't come back and that is fine....good luck! I want you to realize one thing and I seriously mean this...........the childish behavior on a message forum, the ranting over how bad this event was run, or what they did wrong, or ran out of time for this or that, the only one you are hurting in ALL of this is YOUR KID!

Way to be a man! Good job! I want to be JUST LIKE YOU WHEN I grown up! Nice Parenting! Someday, mark my word, someday, you hiding behind this screen name "DadofSkater" will come out and we will know who you are! Trust me on this one too Dad! I myself will tell you to your FACE that you are not welcome! You trash this league, you bash the name, you bash the rules, you trash the way things are done! I don't see you asking to help or suggest maybe an idea on how things could be better. But No, you just go on a message forum and trash it to the end!

You know what truthfully, the league doesn't need your kind, don't bother coming back! But remember this MESSAGE BOARD FORUM TOUGH GUY, the only one you're hurting is your kid!

SIGNED:
JIM LARSON
Jim Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #48
GLSL Pres

I just wanted to come on here and remind everyone about the by-laws for the GLSL. We have in there that if you bash or trash the league or anyone affiliated with the league then there is cause for suspension from the league. We put that in the by-laws for reasons like this. I have noticed that there are some people writing that they have read the by-laws, you might want to re-read them.

As for complaining on line.. it is immature and like Jimmy said it we should all be like Dadofskater. All you are doing is hurting your own kid. If you need your money back come see me in the middle of the floor and I will gladly give it back to you, and kindly ask you to leave at the same time. We don't need your kind around the other 125 skaters in the building. I teach my team to adjust to the floor and their surroundings. I also tell them that complaining gets them to the back of the pack...winners can adjust.

I think we all need to remember that if you have a problem then you need to see your coach, and the coach can handle the rest. I think Dadofskater needs to think about his child and figure out if skating is what the kid wants to do before he gets kicked out of all the leagues because remember the leagues are friends, the presidents and vice presidents for GLSL and OBSL all talk, and we all talk to the other regions as well.

If you have any complaints please call your coach and your coach will tell you how to get a hold of me. The forums are not a place to handle complaints. It just gets people all fired up.

Thank you to Jimmy Larson, Most of Team Rollerdome and Cobras. You are people to look up to. Stand by your league without people like you we wouldn't have a league.

Lisa Dunham
GLSL President
GLSL Pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #49
biggyshorty
WadeYost

Wow! That was a hell of a first post if I do say so myself Jim. I think we were all thinking along the same lines but sugar coated it, alot.
biggyshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #50
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyshorty View Post
Wow! That was a hell of a first post if I do say so myself Jim. I think we were all thinking along the same lines but sugar coated it, alot.
That is a pretty tame post for JL
Old November 20th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #51
Jim Larson

I would hope that anyone that does compete and support the GLSL that knows of who this "DADOFSKATER" is and his identity, please let us know.

If we continue to allow people like this in this league and ANY league for that matter. They will continue to be that sore and the issue at hand only gets worse.

So I would hope that if this parent is affiliated with any other club within this region that has allowed this "DAD" to have their kid skate for that team is not only giving the league a bad name, but also the kid suffers, the club suffers, the sport suffers, and not to forget, the RINK they are associated with suffers!

I can't imagine with the bad mouthing of our league or event, this parent is still walking in a rink like nothing has gone on.

So I will ask again, if anyone knows or if affiliated with this person, i would take my advice and sty away from this type. They will only bring you down and you're going ruin your own reputation as well.

On the defense of the league as far as the Danville event........I will say this......and I believe some of this has been stated before.
Yes, the floor wasn't what we expected, but the floor condition was the SAME for everyone there! No, it wasn't the best but what floors are when we discuss our league meets? I'm not going to mention and call out certain rinks, they all know who they are, so it's not a point of discussion. We go to the events in our league because we all love this sport. We go to these events to gain experience in racing, starting at the grass roots level. Our numbers have grown and time is of essence in order to get done with everything. Sometimes these are unforeseen issues, and out of control. Like someone said, the league does it's best to do what's best for the skaters that support this league and without the skaters/parents/coaches, the league, we wouldn't have a league!

So all in all, we should be lucky to have the level of competition and a league that is fairly close to go compete at, regardless if ANY OF THE FLOORS are coated and in EXCELLENT condition. Like I stated above, the condition is the same for ALL skaters that are in attendance. We make the best of what we have and go with it. But, this doesn't mean that the floors don't really have to be coated or in a condition that is nearly unskateable. We need to have the floors in good shape and coated. We need to think about what is best for the skaters, is not having a good floor or coated floor in the best interest of the skater? Is running events that cater to the skaters in the best interest? Is cutting the schedule to save time in the best interest? Does switching the order of the disciplines(quads & Inlines) cater to the skaters?

This isn't about venting over all the negative concerns that people think are wrong with the league, this is about positivity and coming together as a LEAGUE seeing what we can or how to make it even better! The league is growing, numbers are up from last year by say 20-30 more skaters if not more on the average. We're going to need to take the next step in order to get the events all ran for the future and that's getting more time on Sunday........making the time frame from say......6-3, or 6-4! That should be enough time.

We need your thoughts and suggest the ideas, just don't sit and complain about how this was ran or how bad the skating conditions were. It doesn't do us any good, except bring everyone down and then before long there isn't a LEAGUE to go to and now we have all these skaters in our region sitting around saying.......'WHAT HAPPENED?"

So coming together is what's going to help this get even better. We can let "DADOFSKATER" spout off at the mouth and hide behind a forum screen name, that's all good. Those types are flashes in the pan, here today gone tomorrow!

So let's get together on this!

JIM LARSON

Last edited by Jim Larson; November 21st, 2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #52
batterin' gram

I've said it before and I'll say it again - you folks are so fortunate to have a league. I have lived far from any leagues for 15 years. I plan to come to the Jan, Feb, and Mar meets and I will be traveling a long way to do so. Most of you get to attend regular speed practices at rinks that are a reasonable drive from your homes. I took up roller derby reffing so I would have a place to get some practice of racing-related skills. I really love roller derby, and wouldn't dream of quitting, but I sure do miss good old fashioned speed practices, even the ones where we worked so hard we almost puked and were sore for a week.

I don't race in-lines, only quads, and finally there is a league for that. I am so looking forward to coming to your meets, and I don't care if the floor is coated or not. In derby we skate on concrete with lots of expansion joint cracks and other bumps. Even a slick floor in a regular rink will be nicer for speed than what I am used to.

At this most appropriate time of the year, give thanks for what you have.
batterin' gram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:20 PM   #53
kufman

I have a couple constructive ideas for future league meets. First, we need to watch the clock better in the morning during quad races. If we get to 9:30am and quads are not done, we are in trouble. We should be able to sit down and estimate where in the schedule we need to be by a certain time in order to finish on time. If we fall behind that, we need to cut distances and/or relays from quads. In my opinion, we should always cut relays before distances. I say this for a couple of reasons. First reason being that relays take longer than distances. People have to get the correct helmet covers, they have to find their partners and get checked in, the races sometimes get reordered to prevent skaters from skating back to back.... etc. The other reason that I can think of is refunds. Relays are payed separately from division races and can very easily be refunded. If you skate 2 out of 3 distances how do you do a refund? Do you give 1/3 of the money back? Or do you give the percentage of the laps not skated back. That is, if a person it to skate a 5, a 10, and a 20 lap race and the 20 gets cut, they don't get to skate 57% of the laps they payed for. I know this is a bit technical, but numbers are numbers.

One other idea I had for saving time is using opens in place of longer races. This really only applies to divisions with 20 or 30 lap races. If we end up with heats in these divisions, running a single 40 lap open vs 2 heats of 30 plus a final in the 30 will save a good amount of time.

These are just my opinions on ways we can make meets better. If you don't like what I have said, let me know and I will try not to say anything in the future.
Old November 21st, 2008, 06:30 PM   #54
Jim White

Matt, and others, thanks for the suggestions.

When anyone's ideas get past the brainstorming stage, the next step is to talk with your coach, probably after you've talked with others on your team. The coach ultimately will need specific positive proposals, such as Matt has given. The coach will then take proposals which the team as a whole supports to the coach's meeting. The next meeting is at 5:45, at the start of the Aurora meet; one is held before each meet. If the coach isn't available then, s/he should designate someone else to speak for the team. There was also a group of mail votes this month, but I think most decisions for the remainder of the year will be made in person at meets.

Some changes aren't realistic to make mid-year. There is always a planning meeting for the year, held in early fall. That's the meeting that selects which rinks will host meets, and makes other major decisions. So these are made by the league as a whole, and everyone has input.
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:46 PM   #55
Jim Larson

Matt,

I have also said cut the relays on quads! it does take longer for a few reasons as you have stated, helmet covers, locating partners, slower lap speeds........and so on.

But if this was brought up and easy rebuttle would be well the same could go for inlines. Yes, that is true. But more skaters compete on inlines in the league. But does this mean we shun the quads because they are not the "IN" thing to be racing on? I don't think so! This is where it all started, and if a kid can grab a pair of quads for say $100 bucks, and some good wheels, this is where our numbers come from!

I also like the idea of running a long race type open, sort of like a bonus race final. It would be that if we had two heats, and a skater makes it to one or both finals, he/she will be in the bonus race. But we also have to stay within the parameters of USARS rules under Sanction.

We'll all come up with something!
Old November 22nd, 2008, 12:16 AM   #56
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Larson View Post
Matt,

I have also said cut the relays on quads! it does take longer for a few reasons as you have stated, helmet covers, locating partners, slower lap speeds........and so on.

But if this was brought up and easy rebuttle would be well the same could go for inlines. Yes, that is true. But more skaters compete on inlines in the league. But does this mean we shun the quads because they are not the "IN" thing to be racing on? I don't think so! This is where it all started, and if a kid can grab a pair of quads for say $100 bucks, and some good wheels, this is where our numbers come from!

I also like the idea of running a long race type open, sort of like a bonus race final. It would be that if we had two heats, and a skater makes it to one or both finals, he/she will be in the bonus race. But we also have to stay within the parameters of USARS rules under Sanction.

We'll all come up with something!
I meant for it to apply to quads and inlines. I would just rather see relays cut before the 3rd distance. I know this was voted on at the Danville meet and I guess I am in the minority with my choice.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 04:27 AM   #57
GLSL Pres

Ok.. before everyone starts putting in replies I think it's a great idea to put ideas down, but we need to remember a few things..
1. being about 99% of the rinks we compete at want us out by 1pm. They will not give up their afternoon matinee sessions because they don't make enough money off the meet to cancel them.
2. Floor coating. the by laws say 30 days out, not all rinks can close their sessions down for a speed meet. I know my rink personally won't close for 3 days in the fall or winter because that is when we make the money. We coat the floor in the summer, and as for the conditions we can control the weather, when it goes from 80 degrees to 20 degrees in 36 hours it's hard to compete. The colder the weather the slicker the floor, remember it's colder at 5am than it is at 4pm at most practice times.....
3. We can't change things as one person, it has to be voted on by the coaches. If more than half don't agree things won't get changed, so when suggestions get made they need to be brought up by your coach.
4. Rink people do read these forums, and if they are being bashed on line then it will be really hard for us to get any of them to give us the time we got, let alone any time. I know the Danville rink owner does not want dadosk8er back in the rink.

Jimmy is right about banding together as a league, we need to have people come up with constructive ideas instead of telling everyone what was done wrong.

As for relay's that will be brought up at the meeting because it is hard to make everyone happy. We are going to try and find a common ground to make most of us happy. Keep the positive thoughts coming maybe start a new thread so that the bad publicity isn't shown everytime someone comes up with a new idea.
GLSL Pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 06:06 AM   #58
sk82day

As a former skater in the Buckeye league and at Great Lakes rinks I just had to chimein. When this thread was started a month and a half ago I was reading it. I saw dads comments, I said to myself, "boy he isnt happy". I didnt see where he bashed anything. We have all skated on "horrible floors" and I am sure we have told people that when we got back from a meet. He also said it was unorganized, bashing? if he had said the rink was horrible, this, that, dirty etc. That is bashing. I and everyone knows the rink is not horrible I was just trying to make a point. And stating he would not go to a meet without coating, bashing? I am very vocal and critical of our NGB, not individual clubs or leagues, they are whom is keeping Roller Sports going. If he was saying the league is horrible and telling people not to go then I would say bashing. Roller Sports needs more participants, new skaters, young skaters etc. Does anyone think what he said would keep anyone from joining a league or club? I didnt. But the comments made a month and a half after he originaly posted would make me think twice about going. Agree people should have positive attitudes towards Roller Sports, but to tell anyone they are not wanted because they have a differing opinion is what has hurt Roller Sports for the last 30 years. The only thing I have seen in the last days comments are your welcome to join but dont disagree or have a differing opinion than ours. I have no clue who dad is but his comments did less damage to Roller Sports than the comments that have come in the last couple of days.
I will end with all USARS leagues are great, but with any sport there will always be little quirks, nothing that cant be overcome, so get the kids go to a local rink that offers USARS competitive programs.
sk82day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 06:52 PM   #59
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

Hmm...Yes...One must be cautious as to what one post in a public forum.

Hey Wade! How's your....uh... injury? You boy's be ready in January, cause I can't make the next meet. My Jr.'s have asked that we all challenge to Sr. so that they have some competition. You guys think you are man enough. Hell, Cecil almost is a senior.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 08:37 PM   #60
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadofSk8er View Post
The only people who would complain would be the 5 people who still skate quads. How many people skate quads compared to inlines? Bump the quads, not the inlines. It's a no brainer. You would think they would want to promote something that people actually do and not rip people off who drove 250 miles and then you or your kid do not get the chance to race. Do you think we'll get a refund???? Ha, not likely.

Well, dad, I have been looking for some motivation to start racing quads again. Looks like I just found it. Thanks

There were a few comments about the floor being bad. So what?! If you can't skate a slick floor, then you aren't much of a skater. Anyone can tear it up on a fresh floor with good wheels. It takes somebody who knows how to skate to make their way around a slick floor and do well.

If you don't like the way the meet is run, did you try to help anyone but your kid? Probably not. Go to an art meet. Sometimes they seem like chaos, but there is a plan and the event leaders do their best to follow it. There are times they can really use an extra body to volunteer and help out to keep the meet flowing smoothly.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote