S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old November 22nd, 2008, 09:34 PM   #61
Jim White

Most speed meets can also use volunteer helpers. Generally, the more people help, the better the meet will be. And, after a volunteer has put in some time helping, he/she will be in a good position to help make decisions on how the meet is run.

Last edited by Jim White; November 22nd, 2008 at 11:02 PM.
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #62
biggyshorty
WadeYost

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
Hmm...Yes...One must be cautious as to what one post in a public forum.

Hey Wade! How's your....uh... injury? You boy's be ready in January, cause I can't make the next meet. My Jr.'s have asked that we all challenge to Sr. so that they have some competition. You guys think you are man enough. Hell, Cecil almost is a senior.
Doug how's it going sorry you wont be a the next meet. My injury... uh.. yeah well its geting better. I have a pinched nerve in my upper back somewhere and causes me some discomfort in my neck, back, and down my left arm. The next week I got sick, and I'm still sick! So training has been tough for me. Senior men quads? not sure, I'm probably not man enough, lol. No really I have some goals for this year on my inlines so Im not sure how many meets I will skate my quads, I dont know, we'll see.
biggyshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #63
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

Default Nerve

Have you got a good chiropractor?
I didn't know you hit tour head...I thought it was the other end.
You and "The Mover" are just to muscular If you guys get any bigger, they'll only let four of us on the line
I hope you get it worked out. Check with the others about skating Sr.
Yes, quads.
Old November 24th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #64
batterin' gram

Back when I raced in the old Indiana Speed League, our meets consisted of two distances and the relays. There were six league meets each year. The distances were split up so that each division skated each of the three distances four times during the season. They mixed it up. At one meet you might skate your shortest and longest distance, at the next one the medium and long, then at the next one the short and long. That way you got practice skating all of your distances and the meet kept moving. We ran all divisions in both standard and novice (later renamed JO). Relays worked the same. They didn't offer every relay at every race, but all relays were offered throughout the season in equal numbers. This was fair to all skaters in all age, gender, and ability groups.

I also recall that our rink usually hosted the January meet and the floor would be very slick even though it had been coated. It was because there was concrete under the floor which was cold in winter. We all lived with it. I remember one meet at the beginning of my second season. It was the only meet I ever skated at this particular meet. The floor had so many craters in it that we called it the Moon. I fell in one of my races and I had been in the lead, but I jumped up and still finished, I think in 3rd. I was skating Novice Senior Ladies. It was a tough group of young women, but we managed. We never considered boycotting a meet because the floor was crappy. We just figured it was a part of racing.

To fix your time problem, why not adopt a similar approach to distances so everyone gets to skate at least 2 while still having some of the relays. Not everyone will get everything at one meet, but everyone will get everything if they commit to skating the whole series. It worked well for us then and I'm sure it would work for your league now.
batterin' gram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #65
Jim White

Thanks for the idea, that's basically what's being done, the Aurora meet we will be doing short and long races because we did short and middle at Danville's meet. And there will be 2 man and 2 lady relays, but no 2 mix this time. Hope you can come, soon if not this time.
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #66
Jim Larson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk82day View Post
As a former skater in the Buckeye league and at Great Lakes rinks I just had to chimein. When this thread was started a month and a half ago I was reading it. I saw dads comments, I said to myself, "boy he isnt happy". I didnt see where he bashed anything. We have all skated on "horrible floors" and I am sure we have told people that when we got back from a meet. He also said it was unorganized, bashing? if he had said the rink was horrible, this, that, dirty etc. That is bashing. I and everyone knows the rink is not horrible I was just trying to make a point. And stating he would not go to a meet without coating, bashing? I am very vocal and critical of our NGB, not individual clubs or leagues, they are whom is keeping Roller Sports going. If he was saying the league is horrible and telling people not to go then I would say bashing. Roller Sports needs more participants, new skaters, young skaters etc. Does anyone think what he said would keep anyone from joining a league or club? I didnt. But the comments made a month and a half after he originaly posted would make me think twice about going. Agree people should have positive attitudes towards Roller Sports, but to tell anyone they are not wanted because they have a differing opinion is what has hurt Roller Sports for the last 30 years. The only thing I have seen in the last days comments are your welcome to join but dont disagree or have a differing opinion than ours. I have no clue who dad is but his comments did less damage to Roller Sports than the comments that have come in the last couple of days. I will end with all USARS leagues are great, but with any sport there will always be little quirks, nothing that cant be overcome, so get the kids go to a local rink that offers USARS competitive programs.
Not sure exactly what, who and where you point your finger at, with the above comments made toward this league. I'm not sure you are reading the same post or thread I am about this Dadofskater who posts the negaitivity towards our league. What the league has asked in the future, is, if you're an unsatisfied skater of the league or just stopped in because an event was in your neighborhood, and it wan't quite what you thought it was going to be..........the league has asked over and over, just DON'T post negative comments on any forum! If he/she wants to go to session or school and tell his friends how bad the meet was, then so what. It doesn't need to be posted on a public SKATING FORUM, that people read. This is not what ANY SPEED SKATING LEAGUE needs. These type of people are not welcome so don't come back. Like I stated in my other post, they shouldn't hurt the kid because they weren't happy!

This has happened in the past and the league dealt with the issue and things are fine. So this is where I'm confused about your post and saying that there wasn't bashing of the league? I don't understand.

These are the posts and threads we need since we ALL cannot be on a conference call, we can talk about the ideas we could implement, and possibly make things even better than they are now. But we have to remember, this is not a childrens play game, we don't make the rules up as we go. The rules are set at the beginning of the year and that is how they are followed. Our League is not going to make EVERYONE happy, and WE know that!

I know the league would be happy to listen to some of your ideas on how we could improve the wealth, the status, the level, and the numbers of the league. We usually meet sometime in August or September, jot down all the things you would like to discuss and give them to your coaches and come to the meeting!

At the last 4 league meetings, I have seen the SAME EXACT faces year after year! I can almost name them all on one hand. So if you would like a voice in this league, you must come to the meeting. If not, then give your ideas to your coach and let them bring them to the meeting for you.

Remember also, this is YOUR league! The people running it are doing the best they can with the time alotted for each event! We are the ones that make up this league, We as skaters and coaches! if you have an idea, please send it on or come to the meeting.

I'd be happy to take your ideas and I will even start a list now and bring them myself. Please pass them on! You can send them to my e-mail address: Hynitrous@aol.com

I'd be more than happy to pass it on, and give you the credit for sending it to me. I challenge each and everyone that attends our league on a regular basis to pass on any ideas they feel could increase skater participation, increase racing excitement, eliminate running short on time, etc.....

Do all of these things without ridding the league of our grass roots, quads & quad relays and Inlines and Inline relays.

I CHALLENGE THEE! Bring it on!

JIM LARSON
Jim Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #67
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

I suggest that all skaters that represent the Cobras, be allowed to jump at least twice. It's as much a tradition as apple pie and ice cream, peanut butter and jelly, fresh roll-on and a floor burn, and JL and bleach. What do ya think? At least for the developmentally?
Old November 25th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #68
Aaron Hoover
The Mover

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLSL Pres View Post
Thank you to Jimmy Larson, Most of Team Rollerdome and Cobras. You are people to look up to. Stand by your league without people like you we wouldn't have a league.

Lisa Dunham
GLSL President

What exactly is "Most of Team Rollerdome" supposed to mean, Lisa?
Aaron Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 01:27 AM   #69
jayman

Hey Hoovie- I think she meant that Team Rollerdome had the "most skaters"

Anyway, I just spent 2 hours reading this thread, and I am now officially fired up!!!!!!!!!!!

The Great Lakes Speed League has been around for about 4 years. Prior to that, it was called the Indiana-Illinois league......We are a young league, still going through "growing pains"

Every meet I have ever been to was always a good experience.....Correction, it was always an AWESOME experience. Do I care about floor conditions?......NO..... Do I care about how organized the meet was....NO...........What I care about is the friends I have made, the memories I will always have.

How about that kid that had his arm stuck in the pool table ball return? The fire department, EMS, and the police was there to get him out of that jam,...........that's what the GLSL is all about...

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!!!!
Old November 27th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #70
skatetim1234
Skateworld Cobras

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman View Post
Hey Hoovie- I think she meant that Team Rollerdome had the "most skaters"

Anyway, I just spent 2 hours reading this thread, and I am now officially fired up!!!!!!!!!!!

The Great Lakes Speed League has been around for about 4 years. Prior to that, it was called the Indiana-Illinois league......We are a young league, still going through "growing pains"

Every meet I have ever been to was always a good experience.....Correction, it was always an AWESOME experience. Do I care about floor conditions?......NO..... Do I care about how organized the meet was....NO...........What I care about is the friends I have made, the memories I will always have.

How about that kid that had his arm stuck in the pool table ball return? The fire department, EMS, and the police was there to get him out of that jam,...........that's what the GLSL is all about...

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!!!!

You should post this story in the memorable meet thread!
http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=14893
skatetim1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 11:33 PM   #71
GLSL Pres

Jay's right.. I meant that you had the most people fighting for the league... and Jay I love you.....lol......
GLSL Pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #72
Anabolix

Default Not-So-Outside Observer

Greetings!
As a former Southern region skater and now back in the Great Lakes (Go Team Anabolix!), I would like to share some insider information. Chris Dunlap, former Bell's skater is the coach of Mach Speed in Warner Robins Georgia. Chris hosted the last league meet in November. At the meet, we were able to skate 2 distances per division (novice and standard, short and middle), all 2 person relays and opens. We started racing at 6am and we were finished with awards at about 1:45. Talking with Chris, we feel that this was possible because of a few very subtle changes to the league rules.

1. If a division had 3 or fewer entries, we combined them with the next division. Why have 2 classic men skate 10 laps and then have 3 master men skate 10 laps? Put them all on the line and award points per their division. Better racing and less time

2. I don't know if you allow this in the GL, but don't allow skaters to skate their normal division AND challenge up. If you are a Junior and want to skate Senior, that's OK. But Senior is all you skate. Novice skaters are allowed to skate standard and novice, but the same challenge up thing was not allowed. The skaters pick a division and skate it. This eliminated a lot of re-heating and starting line assignment changes caused by skaters scratching at the last minute because they were too tired to skate the additional races.

3. Since you have quads at GLSL meets, time seems to be a premium. So if we want to do relays, try to include relays on a rotational basis. For example, one meet may have 2-mix relays, the next meet 4-mix, another might have 2-boy/2-girl or 4-boy/4/girl. We could also try to shorten the races. A 50-lap senior 2-man relay on quads would be too time consuming. But I don't think the skaters would mind if it were shortened to 20 laps if it meant they get to race.

Just a few suggestions. I hope to make it to at least one meet before regionals.
Anabolix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #73
Jim White

Thanks for the suggestions. GLSL does combine divisions for the reasons you state, actually goes so far as to change distances, if OK with the skaters, if different divisions have different distances. Decisions about combining do consider the preferences of skater and coach, so the resulting race will be one that's fun for everyone.

Types of relays are rotated (see my 11/24 post). The league does try to have time for full distances, but, rarely, shortens if needed.

I'm not sure the challenge-up rules, but my personal philosophy is to let skaters skate as many races as they want, if they are reasonably competitive. That's what the meet is for, to let people skate. GLSL has VERY little problem with reheating because of skaters being too tired from prior races.

Hope to see you at a meet soon!
Old December 27th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #74
illinisk8er07

Default Small Input

I just wanna add a little something. Not only is the Great Lakes Speed League a young league, but it has young volunteers. I am a new official, and I love it. It is a lot of fun, but when people want to complain about every call that is made is ludacris. The calls that we make are judgement calls, we attempt to make every judgement as fairly as we possibly can. Like I said I am a new and young official and I'm, just like anyone else, is going to make mistakes and a bad call or two, but if you have an issue it needs to be taken to the meet director. But having an issue with every call is very discouraging to new officials and volunteers. Officials do the best job they can, if you think you can do better please go to http://rollersports.usoc.org, then go to resources, then to forms, and then scroll down to speed commission application. Turn in the application and they'll send you a test, take the test, pass it and become an official. Better yet, volunteer to be a line judge or anything to help out, if you think you can do better. We can always use some help. Don't downgrade the way the league is ran. I'm sure anyone in a position to make changes in the league would love to hear your constructive critisim. That is how we make it better. So please assist all of the league in becoming a great league, don't put it down. Thank you, Derrick Dougherty (Official)
illinisk8er07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #75
Jim White

Very good comments above. Also, the League is well staffed with well experienced officials who work with newer ones to make calls and build experience.
Old December 29th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #76
illinisk8er07

Sorry Jim, didn't mean to make it sound like everyone is new haha. Yes, there are several people that have been doing this for several years probably several that have been doing it for more years than I've been alive lol. I really appreciate the help and patience of all the experienced officials, coaches, and others involved with the sport when it comes to helping the younger generation that is learning the sport. Thank you all very much, Derrick.
illinisk8er07 is offline   Reply With Quote