S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old October 19th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #4721
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

October 18

AM - 13 mile bike ride, just to try out my new saddle. After a few adjustments, I got it in the sweet spot and ready to ride.

PM - 2 1/2 miles on the treadmill (was going for 4 but my tummy said NO), then some arm and back stuff

October 19

20 mile bike ride, 17.9 avg. Heart rate 153 avg max 168
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #4722
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGwinner View Post
Good to hear! I'd think that would raise your HR by itself.
Mmm-hmm. :-)
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #4723
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Looks like Jessica's HRM is back to normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Mmm-hmm. :-)
I meant from "Oh hell I'm in the doctor's office". But if the nurses were cute

My doc said my BP was a little high as I was in the office and said to retake it. It was, but I have dropped it almost 20 pts over the last year though. Best was 119/78 or so recently. Still, 17 years ago my best BP was 90/45.

Oct 18th

Back was a tad sore from blasting yesterday, will give it a rest.
== John ==
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #4724
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Oct 18 -- pm bike

14.5 miles of H*LL! 1:20!!

Doing 8mph in a granny gear when I should have been in a 53/15 doing 20mph! The spray from the Sound was going over the houses and hitting me. When I got to the boat I was white due to the coating of salt!

The wind was 33mph with gusts to 43!

Oct 19 -- am Off

Working from home. Tonight speed practice.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #4725
streetsk8r

Went from home through the western section of SBW course. Still a little wet from the overnight storms so had to take it easy in a bunch of spots. I waited later than I wanted to give it a chance to dry but probably still should have waited longer but started at 9 am. 84 d and 100 h light breeze. Muggy and the sun was out in force.

The distance was 11.1 and I finished in 58.50.

I love the mapmyride website. No more going in the car to try to figure out distances....

I'm slow to finish but quick to start - RHCP
streetsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #4726
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

26.8 miles
3:18
avg hr 148
2387 cals burned
My first marathon on skates! Did it on the skate/bike/run trails near me. There were some steep hills and rough pavement that made it pretty impossible to get a groove going. The last three miles were flat and I hit my stride and felt great. It was really windy too. If I can get a little faster, I can get a draft off a bike and cut my time that way. I need to cut off the rough hilly stuff and replace it with some flats... Carried highly concentrated gatorade and mixed it with water from drinking fountains along the way.
Old October 20th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #4727
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Congratulations Bill, although you could have stopped at 26.2

October 20

Buzz and I were in Orlando last night for Halloween Horror Nights, so we decided to check out the Van Fleet trail today. It was my first time there. It's actually a really nice trail - 30 miles of fairly decent pavement with some cracks and rough patches here and there. You all weren't kidding when you said it was boring though! I think there was one part where it curved slightly to the left, but that's about all. We did get to see a very fat snake on the trail, not sure what kind he was. When we stopped for a water break, we saw a large cat and turtle having a staring contest in the parking lot. Kind of weird. When I got back to my car, I had a friendly note from the Polk County sheriff's department informing me my vehicle was secure. Uh, thanks...

30 miles in 2:02 (this includes 5-7 minutes of stops). Average heart rate 163 max 181 Note: my heart rate was already elevated by large amounts of sugar, caffeine, and possibly still some alcohol. I really, really have to start cutting that crap out.
Old October 21st, 2007, 12:46 AM   #4728
speedysktr
President of Everything

Oct. 20th 1st skate of the '08 training season. Awesome. After a two week post-A2A break, I was ready to go and though it was windy as all get out (where'd that phrase come from and how is "all get out" a blanket unit of measure?) I felt good all around. 15 miles in 59 minutes with gless150/172.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 12:37 PM   #4729
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Congratulations Bill, although you could have stopped at 26.2
:-) I'd just have to wait for some nice bike rider to tow me back to my car, Napoleon Dynamite style :-)
Old October 21st, 2007, 05:16 PM   #4730
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
My first marathon on skates!
Congrats!

Oct 20th

El Dorado Park, group practice.

I met JoshR! My first skate logger F2F.

Skated at El Dorado park for 13.9 miles roughly - My GPS was off for 1 lap. Hit peaks of 15 but my back was still somewhat sore from doing the "Begg Drill" (chin on the hand, elbow on the knee). Wow. Just couldn't keep that up. I also did one lap with my hands behind my back, trying to get my upper body still and gain more balance. Still needs work. I know that's the "rest position" but for me it's the "slow and painful" position. Did a lap or two with Josh.

I hope I did slow you down Josh

Going to have to give my back a rest I think ... I did get a little burn on the legs though, it's good to go continous without dodging sand, little kids, dogs, beach cruisers, etc.
== John ==
Old October 21st, 2007, 05:21 PM   #4731
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
Oct. 20th ... as all get out (where'd that phrase come from and how is "all get out" a blanket unit of measure?)
Interesting question. That made me look it up.

I think it's from the 'business' meaning, i.e. at a point you 'get-out' of something. So 'all get out' would mean the point at which you totally get out, i.e. a VERY high point.

Good to hear you're healed up.
== John ==
Old October 21st, 2007, 06:19 PM   #4732
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Good to hear you're healed up.
Thanks.

Oct. 21 Finally got to a 'cross race. Wound up 11th out of 13 in the "C" 35+ category, but had an awesome time. Rode to the race and did an extra 8 afterwards. Race stats: 35+/- minutes with 172/180 for HR stats. Was running a little late and didn't get the best warm up. More like a scurry to the park, sign up and then briefly check out the course. Stopped short on my sole preview lap and made it to the line just as they started the race. Lotsa fun. Will miss it next week due to family events, but that's okay since it's in Loo-vull. 11/3 it's back here in town. P90X in the morning. (here's a pre-emptive ugh )
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 06:20 PM   #4733
joshr

Quote:
Congrats!

Oct 20th

El Dorado Park, group practice.

I met JoshR! My first skate logger F2F.

Skated at El Dorado park for 13.9 miles roughly - My GPS was off for 1 lap. Hit peaks of 15 but my back was still somewhat sore from doing the "Begg Drill" (chin on the hand, elbow on the knee). Wow. Just couldn't keep that up. I also did one lap with my hands behind my back, trying to get my upper body still and gain more balance. Still needs work. I know that's the "rest position" but for me it's the "slow and painful" position. Did a lap or two with Josh.

I hope I did slow you down Josh

Going to have to give my back a rest I think ... I did get a little burn on the legs though, it's good to go continous without dodging sand, little kids, dogs, beach cruisers, etc.
== John ==
Yah I was going slower than usual but I enjoyed the company. It was also nice to have someone who had at least some idea of what double push and outside edge vs inside edge looked like to give me some feed back. so it was worth it. I think that day I did somewhere in the range of 2-4 laps before I saw you so I am going to say 19 miles, more than I said in the other thread but I think this is more accurate and if you had peaks of 15 that was probably when we were skating and based on that I will call the my average. I skated a lot slower on some laps but a lot faster on others.

As far as the getting low stuff you were working on I would say forget it for now. I think where you are now it's better to stand up taller and work on getting your balance better and your skates really on the right edge and coming to the middle. Once you feel very comfortable with all the balance stuff then work on getting low. A sore back is no fun and I would say avoid it as much as possible. You might also try lots, and lots, and lots of core exercises before you start working on getting low. It takes a lot of core strength in order to get low and not hurt your back.
joshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 08:08 PM   #4734
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

10/20 - Team outdoor practice - small group, 12.95 miles working with various people on technique

10/21 - Last official outdoor practice of the year - 12.75 miles, dropped by the fast pack 3 times, just not my day but it was absolutely beautiful outside.

I'm bummed I only found this sport in July and blew half the summer! I'm already looking forward to next year. Hoping to get better technique wise in the indoor sessions. As of today since July, I've skated a total of 581 miles (races and practices) and lost 40 pounds (from both skating and working out). I hit my first long term goal of 179 pounds on Thursday. My new goal is to hit 170 and see how it looks, possibly 165. I was 160 senior year HS.
Old October 21st, 2007, 08:21 PM   #4735
streetsk8r

I'm hot on your trail Bill.

Ratcheted up another 20%, so today was a 19.3 mile skate. Went through the northern section of the SBW course. I started earlier than I usually do - 7.30 am and it was wet and slippery in a number of places. It was overcast the whole way, 80 d and 90 h. The breeze was light but filled in toward the end. I slurped up a Hammer gel just after the first hour. The last .7 mile is from the guard gate to my house and I did that in 3.04. My legs seemed strong through the end and I was debating to go further.

Finished in 1.48.

I'm slow to finish but quick to start - RHCP
streetsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 01:13 AM   #4736
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Oct. 17: 90 minutes team practice outdoors on 400 m track - great because then there's more room for my less than perfect cross overs.

Oct. 18+19+20: notin' but work and eating crap - who said it was ok to eat crap once in a while?? I'm gonna be** that person (unless its a big and burly person)

Oct. 20: 20 miles in 1:40 HR 148/162 (-10 minutes breaks) those minutes was me bit** and complaining about my legs hurting. Hurting from not being moved for three days and the crap food. Good point though my feet were fine, so it seems like my feet problems were in fact due to less than perfect techninque etc. and not due to an ufo in my boots or such... Not saying my technique has improved that much from those few sessions indoors, but it has helped!
HR way to high for such a low speed, yes it was quite windy and the 10 or so overpasses helped on that too, but mainly I think it was the lack of good food in my system.

Well well it was still a beuatiful day, 80F and blue skies.

P90X is bought should arrive this week sometime - looking forward to see what the "hype" is about and to see if it can make wonders on me as well.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 01:40 AM   #4737
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

Went to the Halloween Horror Nights on Friday, then skated the Van Fleet Trail with Jessica on Saturday.

We skated 30 miles at a near constant pace. Had to make my first stop 2 miles into the skate because I couldn't get one of my boots laced comfortably. The sky was cloudy so it's not too hot, even in the mid afternoon.

Sunday, outdoor practice at the dump. Did very little, because my legs were still recovering from Saturday's long skate, and long drive. I came to realize that long drive actually destroys my leg more than skating..... errrr.....
Old October 22nd, 2007, 01:43 AM   #4738
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsk8r View Post
I'm hot on your trail Bill.
Dude, you have blown right by me... :-) Good long skate.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 05:09 AM   #4739
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdellaringa View Post
and lost 40 pounds
Congrats!

Very nice! That's increadible.

Oct 21
Did nothing today. Back a little sore, legs a little sore, Saturday was good even if only 14 miles. Ate brunch with too much champagne, went to MOCA in LA with my Brother (who's a Fine Arts major), ate a vegie dinner with his friend and wife; went home and washed that down with a Margarita.
== John ==
Old October 22nd, 2007, 12:20 PM   #4740
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Thanks! Still got a bit to go