S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old November 2nd, 2007, 07:27 PM   #4861
Barracuda

Default 1st Entry Into Log

So after getting my butt kicked Tuesday night during a 15 lap race I decided to take a closer look at what I have been up to.

This week, Iíll have almost ten hours of exercise in.
Skating: 420 min (not constant skating of course)
PT: 120 min (bike, stretching, balance exercises, weights - light)
Bike 30 min
Plyo: 10~20

Do you think that this is too much? It doesnít seem like it is based on what I used to do back when I raced bikes.

Iím thinking that I need to do some interval work Ė maybe more races at practice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jeff
Barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 08:06 PM   #4862
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
So after getting my butt kicked Tuesday night during a 15 lap race I decided to take a closer look at what I have been up to.
It sort of depends on how you got your butt kicked...

Did you hang with them for 14 laps and they sprinted the last lap?
Did they drop you at the first cone?
Did they drop you at 5 or 10 laps?
Did they let you win the start and kept you out there? My kids have learned not to do this as I will push the pace to burn myself out and force them to commit.

Summary for the week...too much candy...no floor time...sniffles and a meet this weekend...
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 08:09 PM   #4863
Barracuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvirtue View Post
It sort of depends on how you got your butt kicked...

Did you hang with them for 14 laps and they sprinted the last lap?
Did they drop you at the first cone?
Did they drop you at 5 or 10 laps?
Did they let you win the start and kept you out there? My kids have learned not to do this as I will push the pace to burn myself out and force them to commit.

Summary for the week...too much candy...no floor time...sniffles and a meet this weekend...
Dropped by the 3rd bucket and lapped by the 13th lap.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 08:28 PM   #4864
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

You are in the technique and confidence stage...

Unless they were stupid and decided to sprint out the 15 laps...You need basic pack speed. (10 to 11s laps).

Lots of technique drills...You need to eck the most out of each and every push. I personally can cruise for a long time at the 11s mark but the moment I get beyond that I'm pushing too hard end up going too deep in the corner...I need to work on getting my butt into the corner...To set it up early enough so I don't go wide.

Intervals help period full stop end of sentence. That said until you have technique it won't do that much good. The last time you can use muscle power to get through indoors is Juvenile...
Intervals really help for the 50 lap open when you need to do a couple of 10s laps to break the pack apart or to respond to the attack. But you have to have the technique to be in there in the first place.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 08:44 PM   #4865
Barracuda

Thanks Mark,

It did start fast, but I don't think it was stupid fast. Granted, they are the fastest on the team so I shouldn't be too hard on myself.

I was thinking form as well. I seem to do good with technique during slow drills, but once the pace picks up I forget what I'm suppose to be doing and it goes downhill from there.

Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvirtue View Post
You are in the technique and confidence stage...

Unless they were stupid and decided to sprint out the 15 laps...You need basic pack speed. (10 to 11s laps).

Lots of technique drills...You need to eck the most out of each and every push. I personally can cruise for a long time at the 11s mark but the moment I get beyond that I'm pushing too hard end up going too deep in the corner...I need to work on getting my butt into the corner...To set it up early enough so I don't go wide.

Intervals help period full stop end of sentence. That said until you have technique it won't do that much good. The last time you can use muscle power to get through indoors is Juvenile...
Intervals really help for the 50 lap open when you need to do a couple of 10s laps to break the pack apart or to respond to the attack. But you have to have the technique to be in there in the first place.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 12:19 AM   #4866
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
Oct. 28th 15 mile skate w/gless on the bike
Oct. 29th uh, can't remember, maybe nothing
Oct. 30th 65 minute mtn bike-lotsa leaves
Oct. 31st AM 35 minutes on the rollers PM40 minute mtnbk
Nov. 1st nada
Nov. 2nd AM 25 minute easy spin/5k run 162/170 25:02 30 degrees out
PM planning on skating.
PM skated 1:02 139/165 nice and easy.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 12:29 AM   #4867
skaterdog

Got a nice 15 miles in today after work.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 05:23 AM   #4868
joshr

Got in a couple hours at the climbing gym today. It's been a while since I have climbed so I definitely didn't have much stamina but the moves were still there. Lots of fun and great for legs and core.
joshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 01:40 PM   #4869
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

11/15
Indoor practice 1.5 hrs.
30 min warm up dryland tech skills and strength.
20 min. rolling tech. skills.
30 min. rolling. Wolf pack, progressive wolf pack, intervals, and some rolling starts.
Wrapped up with some core work and discussion.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 04:10 PM   #4870
Mom Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
Do you think that this is too much? It doesnít seem like it is based on what I used to do back when I raced bikes.

Jeff

I know I am new at trying to get back in shape, but I think it is awsome!

Everyone here seems so far ahead of me, but that is why I like this thread. It gives me a lot to look forward to...maybe someday I can pass someone instead of watching the likes of you guys pass me at least twice on the laps around Flatwoods.
Mom Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:01 PM   #4871
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom Deb View Post
Everyone here seems so far ahead of me, but that is why I like this thread.
That's what everyone says when they first start posting here. Once they've been accepted in the training log cult, they mysteriously start getting better. Wait for it...

November 1

27 mile bike ride with the group - last one this year Nothing too exciting to tell about this one.

November 2

5k - Richard's Run for Life in Ybor city. Only did this run because Tryst has been bugging me to do another 5k. I had a pretty decent time for not running too much, 22:26. I got 2nd in my age group and another bizzare trophy to add to my collection. It's a little mess kit pot with a plaque inside it. Cool...

November 3

I was supposed to do indoor practice today but I refused to get up at 6am.

27 mile skate @ Flatwoods - met up with Mark accidently in the parking lot as he was refueling. I *thought* I had the right bathroom door when I skated up to it and started pounding on it and yelling "police". Unfortunately, Mark was in the other stall so I scared the living crap out of some poor guy. I hope he's not too pissed at me

Skate was awesome, ran into some skaters I know and met a couple of new ones. The weather was beautiful, in the 60's and sunny. Average hr 149 max 179
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:09 PM   #4872
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Once they've been accepted in the training log cult, they mysteriously start getting better. Wait for it...
It's secretly known as the speedysktr affect. Worked for Jessica, it will work for you. Right GF? Who's got your back, baby?

Oct. 34th 15 outdoors with the glessner. 154/178 58 minutes

I'm bailing on the 'cross race tomorrow. Too tired, legs are fried, fingernails are dirty and I just can't stand not going to indoor practice. So there.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:13 PM   #4873
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
It's secretly known as the speedysktr affect. Worked for Jessica, it will work for you. Right GF? Who's got your back, baby?
The secret of the cult is out!
Old November 3rd, 2007, 07:01 PM   #4874
eighteen_psi
Falcon Heavy

Added another couple legs to my Sat. trail route...about to head out and roundtrip this now:

eighteen_psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 08:17 PM   #4875
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Nov 3 -- am Skating!!!

First race of the season

Madeline had a lousy start in her 3 lapper. She went from 8th to 4th in the 3 laps which was cool. 1 more lap and she would have gotten 3rd.

They ran the 3 master men with the 2 classic men. I had a reasonable start and passed up into 3rd. The first 5 laps were great...Then it turned suck...Locked up...they passed me but then they started to lock up and I was catching them back...

Back again tonight for the short...tomorrow morning we have the long and relays...I got 2 Master 2 and Classic 2 mix!
Old November 3rd, 2007, 08:21 PM   #4876
online inline

Mark, good to hear all went well for you this morning!
Did the big dogs from down south show up? Who all is racing in Standard div,?
Thanks in advance. May drop in tomorrow...
Okay, to stay on topic: 27 miles outdoor as follows: first 15 miles with Pete, teammate of Team Stooges, he led out on bike (fixed gear too cool for words), and we worked on the first five second response to a break-away. Repeat many times. Back at parking lot, i headed out again for last 12 alone, working on nothing in particular. Will skate tomorrow with teammates, schedules permitting.

Point of drill was to explore what works at 'jumping on the break away'. Lesson learned that it's mostly digging a little deeper on the underpush and reacting quickly is the key. Also, need to get a bit more comfortable with the high end of the top end speeds so as to bridge the gap in those crucial first seconds. Like my training partners are want to say, twenty-six miles and a race is lost in a second.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 08:39 PM   #4877
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Vet was the Auburn show. Master men it was my team mate, myself and the coach from Portland.

Senior was the usual minus Joey M. Jeremy was running a 3x110 in an old 5x84 frame. He was looking good.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 11:04 PM   #4878
BHerrick
I can haz speed?

11/2 Thurs
Gym
20min warmup on elliptical
1 legged squats
rear lunges
side lunges
leg extentions
lat pull-downs
benches
core
Old November 3rd, 2007, 11:21 PM   #4879
skaterdog

25 mile skate today.
Old November 4th, 2007, 01:04 AM   #4880
joshr

Did 18 miles with a peak of 18 mph and an average of 11 mph with the Formula 1 crowd at El Dorado park in Long Beach. I was slow today because my legs were really tired from climbing yesterday. I felt like I had weights on my skates because my calves were really tired and couldn't get low because my thighs were shot. On top of that the slower pace line didn't seem to exist today. I sure wish Tawni had been around to keep me slow and working on form . Next week is Silverstrand, I am excited.
joshr is offline   Reply With Quote