S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old May 3rd, 2014, 11:12 PM   #1
matguy

Default Power Interceptor Plus with V-Drive?

So, I bought a big 'ol box of random wheels off ebay. Auction description said it had (most of) a set of Power Plus wheels, picture looked like Red ones.

The box shows up yesterday. Picture of the wheels I'm confused about below (complete with microwave background)

They look like they have the hub of a Power Plus but the grooves of an Interceptor (with V-drive!). All the pics of Interceptors I see have a solid hub, no spokes.

The box came with 7 of these wheels, so I'm kind of looking for a replacement, but I'm not exactly sure what they are. Ideas?
matguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 02:31 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by matguy View Post
So, I bought a big 'ol box of random wheels off ebay. Auction description said it had (most of) a set of Power Plus wheels, picture looked like Red ones.

The box shows up yesterday. Picture of the wheels I'm confused about below (complete with microwave background)

They look like they have the hub of a Power Plus but the grooves of an Interceptor (with V-drive!). All the pics of Interceptors I see have a solid hub, no spokes.

The box came with 7 of these wheels, so I'm kind of looking for a replacement, but I'm not exactly sure what they are. Ideas?
To the best of my knowledge, those were a mistake. Several years back in the quad forum there was some discussion about a run of high end Sure Grip wheels that were manufactured off shore. These had some objectionable quality issues, mixed up hubs being one of them. Unsuitable for sk8ing was the real problem. I sold some Power + with solid hubs years back and it took 3 tries to get 8 round ones.

I have no idea (but seriously doubt) if any of the wheels like you have still exist out in the supply chain. However, before getting too deep into finding a replacement, I suggest you ensure the ones you have are OK. Check that the bearings fit properly and there is no wobble or other issues that were the real problem with that batch of wheels..

Good luck..

Oh, be darn careful with the dishwasher.
Old May 4th, 2014, 06:04 PM   #3
matguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
To the best of my knowledge, those were a mistake. Several years back in the quad forum there was some discussion about a run of high end Sure Grip wheels that were manufactured off shore. These had some objectionable quality issues, mixed up hubs being one of them. Unsuitable for sk8ing was the real problem. I sold some Power + with solid hubs years back and it took 3 tries to get 8 round ones.

I have no idea (but seriously doubt) if any of the wheels like you have still exist out in the supply chain. However, before getting too deep into finding a replacement, I suggest you ensure the ones you have are OK. Check that the bearings fit properly and there is no wobble or other issues that were the real problem with that batch of wheels..

Good luck..

Oh, be darn careful with the dishwasher.
As always, you're a fountain of knowledge, thank you.

And, yeah, the whole dishwasher thing seemed to spark quite a bit of... discussion somewhere else. What's your thought?

(For those confused, I bought a micro-ton of wheels on ebay, most very dirty, so I ran 'em through the dishwasher on a warm wash with no dry cycle.)
matguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 09:16 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by matguy View Post
As always, you're a fountain of knowledge, thank you.

And, yeah, the whole dishwasher thing seemed to spark quite a bit of... discussion somewhere else. What's your thought?

I think you did fine, other than I don't like putting metal hub wheels anywhere near water, unless I'm cleaning them one @ a time, or on the rinks wheel washer. As long as you were right there to get them out and dry them off when the washer was done, I really don't see an issue.

(For those confused, I bought a micro-ton of wheels on ebay, most very dirty, so I ran 'em through the dishwasher on a warm wash with no dry cycle.)

My other thought.. One of the posters there was very adamant that because they had worked @ the family rink for a long (according to them) period of time their "expert" opinion should not be challenged. Hog wash...

I shudder to think about how much bad info and advice I have run into being preached as gospel because
1) I work at a rink.
2) That is the way we have always done it.
3) and one of my favorites, "If it's not in the catalog it does not exist."

Expertise needs to be demonstrated by results. It cannot be just thrown out as fact because someone said so.