S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old August 25th, 2014, 06:26 PM   #1
purlingwood

Default sure-grip super X plates?

Those plates any good?

I am currently using them now. Mainly session and rhythm skating. I do small hops to transition. I weigh 200lbs and they're size 7 plates.
purlingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2014, 10:30 PM   #2
Reserector
ameteur debunker

I use a set outdoors. They are a very cost-effective plate, and very durable. I skate the heck out of them.

I suggest ordering some Sure-Grip super cushions in purple (medium) and yellow (softer than purple). In each color, order four barrels, and four cones, along with four of the smaller washers that go on the small end of the cones.

These are a significant improvement over the rubber cushions. You will have to experiment to find what you like best.

There are softer and firmer, as well (blue and red, respectively) if you want to go further in one direction of tuning.
Old August 27th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #3
Ogsk8erboi

I used to own a pair. I would compare them to the plates that come on the Chicago skates now. they are durable and for just recreational skating they will get the job done. Even though I do not use mine any more I did change my cushions on 2 of my skates to the sure grip super cushions.
only thing is weight. if you do not weigh a lot and like your trucks to have more give and turn sharper without using as much force the yellow cushions can feel more medium soft and the blue can be super soft. I have both and I will say I'm starting to like the super soft blue ones better. but again it is a preference.
Ogsk8erboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 04:59 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Hmm..

Looks like a couple of folks want to be Doc sk8..besides me?? What is this world coming to??

@ Reserector. Haven't seen ya for a while. I'm sure you have your hands full with Southern Sk8r. How are things there?? I don't have time to cruise there any more.

@ Ogsk8erboi. The Super X plates are far superior to the current Chicago branded junk.

Let me point out a couple of examples. The king pins are threaded 3/8 x16 course on a current "Chicago". Not real cool. OG Chicagos had the same 3/8 x 20 thread as the Super Xs. The finer the thread pitch, the easier the action is to adjust just so. Now either can be converted to reverse king pins, but the Snyder king pins you would need for the "Chicago" are pretty pricy... They would benefit from a 3/8 x 24 adjustment on the reverse end however.

The Super Xs would need "Harry's Studs" but the have the same benefit. 3/8 x 24 adjustment threads.

Next, the "Chicago" cushions are like little hockey pucks and are not a standard size. No good drop ins to upgrade the suspension I am aware of. My local rink does not sell them any longer.