S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old January 21st, 2013, 07:39 PM   #1
s.wiitooth

Default Best "low" (90 degree knee bend) drills?

Hi all,

I coach girls roller derby, in addition to have problems with knee bend (and the skate position myself (http://skatemanipulation.com/?p=14), I really haven't found any drills that work on this?

I can't get into it off skates which I'm assuming is because of flexibility (I've been working on stretching my Hamstrings, Dorsiflexion, and TFL lately, it's been slowly chipping away at it...by slowly I mean +3 months). Some girls can't do it because of balance, and some can do it, just don't.

I've been having them do a lot of low walks and stuff like this (except while on skates because track time is $) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz77TaXbHJs

I've also recently been doing the fist on your chin skating a lot for squats and scooters and such.

Is this the right path and it just will take a long time (+4 months) or is there a better/faster way?

Is there any sort of troubleshooting process?
s.wiitooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 01:48 PM   #2
ursle
Street Skater

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...FQSg4Aod5icA1Q

This sucker will loosen you up with daily use, might take a few weeks but flexibility is the key to suppleness, I've tried other foam rollers and they squish out after a short period, this sucker is solid, no squish and no foam interior to just disintegrate, it's an alloy tube with eva foam"or something" around it, comes in a short and long version, I got the long, I like to roll my backbone also, skating in a crouched position is all about flexibility, this sucker will work every leg muscle, including lower legs, might be painful at first, well worth the money, imho,ymmv
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:55 PM   #3
Armadillo

Getting into a low skaters position starts with the ANKLES having to bend adequately.

It all starts at the ankles, and if they are not bending to the proper and sufficient angle, this prevents the rest of the joints from being angled properly, which then messes with your balance too, forcing you out of optimum position.

Do slow circle crossover drills, while h0lding an 8-foot 1-by-2 wood piece horizontally for everyone to skate under. Then work the stick progressively down lower, and keep telling them to stop bobbing down and back up just to get under the stick, which always happens.

-Armadillo
Old January 22nd, 2013, 06:53 PM   #4
s.wiitooth

Yup dillo, my ankles are so ridiculously inflexible my massage therapist makes fun of me. I think that's really the prime suspect in my personal struggle for the knee bend because I can go down that far but my heels pop off the ground and when I set them down I tip backwards.
s.wiitooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.wiitooth View Post
Yup dillo, my ankles are so ridiculously inflexible my massage therapist makes fun of me. I think that's really the prime suspect in my personal struggle for the knee bend because I can go down that far but my heels pop off the ground and when I set them down I tip backwards.
I also have this issue from getting burned at age five and having scarred ankle skin, which does not stretch much.

How I work them is to put one leg out to side and bend other one as low as possible, trying to pull my knee to my chest and without letting the bent leg heel come up off the floor.

Stay down there on the one leg pulled up as long as you can, then switch legs. It's tough and it takes time, but it gradually will loosen up your ankle's front-to-back flex range.

-Armadillo
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:18 AM   #6
big-red

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.wiitooth View Post
gastroc stretches, one of the biggest muscle groups that cause people to have inflexible ankles and in the long run can cause foot deformitites due to their power. So get them bendy.

http://www.topendsports.com/medicine...lf-gastroc.htm
Gay Fawkes #511
big-red is offline   Reply With Quote