S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old May 18th, 2018, 12:52 AM   #1
netplaceus
David

Default Help with my custom skate park skates

So I am normally an indoor skater but have found I enjoy outdoors skating too. Looking to build a set of skates that I can change out wheels and use them for skate parks. Mostly ramps and bowls. Iím not sure about the plate, I noticed most people are using 10-20-degree plate. Kind of wondering if I should get a 15 because that is what I am used to indoors. I understand the tradeoffs, but donít know what might be best. Love some input. Iím definitely out of my territory here, have had some experience with 100 buck crappy skates in the park. I think the boot is OK, but there may be much better choices for the plate and wheels. Thanks for your thoughts!

*Riedell 965 boot
*Sure Grip Avanti magnesium (10 degree)

*Octo Momentum Park Dual Density Wheels (I would use these for park)
Wheel Diameter:58mm
Wheel width:32mm
Wheel hardness:100A (too hard for most people or fine with many?)

*Maybe Sure Grip Slider/Grinder Blocks for easier drop ins?

PS: I thought I made a double post and tried to remove this, but I guess I didn't!

Last edited by netplaceus; May 18th, 2018 at 03:40 AM. Reason: I thought I made a double, but I guess I did not. Sorry
netplaceus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 01:17 AM   #2
amohrfeld

I recently ordered some park skates from bigfoot: sunlite plates with penny trucks. They are OK. They are heavy and sluggish. I had to purchase softer cushions afterwords and the kingpins are 1/16" too short for the loose feel I prefer.

Also, I don't like the rubber pivot cushion on the sunlite and Avanti.

The real question is do you want a grind block? Hint: you probably do.

If so, there is no good solutions other then a custom part and that will be expensive.

Geometry is less critical then you think (or maybe I am really adaptive). Anything 5-20 degree will work fine. I prefer my 18 deg outdoor skates to the 5 degree sunlites.

My advise is use the stock trucks and find a way to add grind blocks to a plate.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 01:19 AM   #3
amohrfeld

What is the correct section?
Old May 18th, 2018, 03:00 AM   #4
netplaceus
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
What is the correct section?
I Just posted quickly, thought I made an error, turns out it was in the right section.
Old May 18th, 2018, 03:20 AM   #5
netplaceus
David

Quote:
I recently ordered some park skates from bigfoot: sunlite plates with penny trucks. They are OK. They are heavy and sluggish. I had to purchase softer cushions afterwords and the kingpins are 1/16" too short for the loose feel I prefer.

Also, I don't like the rubber pivot cushion on the sunlite and Avanti.

The real question is do you want a grind block? Hint: you probably do.

If so, there is no good solutions other then a custom part and that will be expensive.

Geometry is less critical then you think (or maybe I am really adaptive). Anything 5-20 degree will work fine. I prefer my 18 deg outdoor skates to the 5 degree sunlites.

My advise is use the stock trucks and find a way to add grind blocks to a plate.
Thanks I really appreciate your thoughts, I know it's your sport too. Rubber pivot cushion on Avanti? I'll have to take another look at that next time I'm in shop.

As for the grind block I think you are right, I will likely want it. I actually chose the Avanti because it was one of the few that has a grind block designed just for it. Kinda costly, but still better then doing my own.

https://www.suckerpunchskateshop.com...er-blocks.html
Old May 18th, 2018, 03:55 AM   #6
wired

You might want to check out Chicks in Bowls. They have a some nice mod parts for park skating. I built a set with some vintage boots and their grind trucks and sliders. Went together well on Avanti aluminum plates.

I have some extras of their parts if you are interested on saving shipping charges from NZ..

Old May 18th, 2018, 04:05 AM   #7
amohrfeld

My dealer advised against the CIB trucks. She has a broken truck from a kid she sponsored. However the kid is fairly aggressive. Even the bigfoot guy said most skaters are using stock trucks these days.
Old May 18th, 2018, 04:13 AM   #8
netplaceus
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
You might want to check out Chicks in Bowls. They have a some nice mod parts for park skating. I built a set with some vintage boots and their grind trucks and sliders. Went together well on Avanti aluminum plates.

I have some extras of their parts if you are interested on saving shipping charges from NZ..

Thanks, that was very useful and interesting too. Looks like most of the CIB are using the Avanti plate too. So what do you guys think? Should I go for the wider trucks they make for the Avanti plate (for park) or stick with stock?
Old May 18th, 2018, 04:30 AM   #9
netplaceus
David

Quote:
My dealer advised against the CIB trucks. She has a broken truck from a kid she sponsored. However the kid is fairly aggressive. Even the bigfoot guy said most skaters are using stock trucks these days.
This was my concern too. I have friends in the business that told me that all of the CIB, Moxie, etc are on the very low quality end of the spectrum. I mean Riedell makes nice boots, but the ones they make for Moxie are on the very low end quality and at least $100.00 extra just to have the Moxie logo and colors.

But like you said, it seems to be good enough in most cases.

I did not see many truck options. The CIB one is like 90 bucks, My local skate shop has a huge box of them, 12 bucks each, but they are not painted. I wonder if it's is the same part?
Old May 18th, 2018, 06:34 PM   #10
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by netplaceus View Post
My local skate shop has a huge box of them, 12 bucks each, but they are not painted. I wonder if it's is the same part?
If the trucks are about 3" between where the axles emerge from the casting and they are designed for rubber pivot cups, maybe.

As far a "quality" and skates, everyone has their biases. I was told my Bonts wouldn't last a year... still going strong. What we discuss here are skates. With few exceptions high precision and durability are not economically viable. As with all sports equipment it is primarily up to the user to determine what works for them. Until you try something you will never know if it works for you.

Old May 18th, 2018, 07:53 PM   #11
netplaceus
David

"With few exceptions high precision and durability are not economically viable."

I agree with you completely and will give the products a try. Also anything with a brand name on it I think has more to lose as a company. I figure the 12 buck no name part has nothing to lose. Thanks for your thoughts!
Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM   #12
amohrfeld

I'm using an old Riedell silver star boot. I had it lying around.

I have an idea to bolt a grind block to a reactor pro plate. I even purchased delrin (plastic) but have no time to machine it. I honestly think this setup will be the best option given what is available on the market.
Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM   #13
netplaceus
David

Quote:
I'm using an old Riedell silver star boot. I had it lying around.

I have an idea to bolt a grind block to a reactor pro plate. I even purchased delrin (plastic) but have no time to machine it. I honestly think this setup will be the best option given what is available on the market.
That's actually a really cool idea! I was just looking at pictures of the reactor pro plate and Polyoxymethylene plastic on ebay (less than I thought).

That plate looks like it was born to be fitted with a grind block. Looks like you could make it a 3 piece construction with the 2 blocks and a 3'd piece placed inside between the bolt holes (length wise) as a spacer.
Or one solid piece with the center cut out, but might be harder to machine.

If you make one someday post it, love to see how it works out. If I every do I will be sure to credit you for the idea. The amohrfeld reactor pro grind block. Sounds like a product.

I already bought my setup, but would loved to have made this. Unfortunately my resources for machining anything are limited to the more commonly available tools. Can still be done, just harder, not as clean.

Last edited by netplaceus; Yesterday at 06:08 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
netplaceus is offline   Reply With Quote