S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old January 31st, 2011, 02:42 AM   #41
online inline

the only thing i gathered from that last post is something about graduated jugs of water still being on campus, which to me, just seems wrong!

I just don't eat much peanut butter as i agree with all others here, it's too fatty, and can only stomacjh it in small amounts if i have some lighter food along with it.

But i do eat a whole lot of nuts every day as they are a protein source just loaded with helpful nutrients and preventative against some diseases.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 03:08 AM   #42
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis042 View Post

JK!
Ewwee! I can't get past the smell of that stuff. I tried it once and it was like some kind of icky petroleum product. Kind of like Cool Whip always makes me think of "space age" polymers.

S
Old April 27th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #43
Sam Cogley

One of my best friends owns a Tropical Smoothie Cafe franchise, so my go-to pre-skating meal is one of their Acai Berry Boost smoothies (Acai, Pomegranate, Banana, Blueberries & Strawberries) with no sugar or Splenda and a scoop of whey protein added. It gives me a nice energy boost, the protein is good for the muscles, and it doesn't weigh me down like most foods do.
Sam Cogley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #44
jdavis042
Caffeinated Member

Default And he starts to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cogley View Post
One of my best friends owns a Tropical Smoothie Cafe franchise, so my go-to pre-skating meal is one of their Acai Berry Boost smoothies (Acai, Pomegranate, Banana, Blueberries & Strawberries) with no sugar or Splenda and a scoop of whey protein added. It gives me a nice energy boost, the protein is good for the muscles, and it doesn't weigh me down like most foods do.
*Salivate*
Old April 28th, 2011, 01:26 AM   #45
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

Being Type 2 diabetic, I am very limited in this area. Before and after a marathon event, nuts and dried banana chips. A couple ounces will do wonders. If I need a boost during the event, my own smoothie of pureed pears (low glycemic), bananas, a touch of honey, and almond milk mixed thin enough to drink for a water bottle works for me.

In my dreams I go for the high sugar goo (LOL) but in my waking moments, I stick to the above. Maybe this will help some else, so ...

LezSk8!
Old April 28th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #46
ZacUSNYR

I've been drinking a tea/supplement/energy drink called Celcius - it comes in different flavors and it's unique. An acquired taste but I can't verify any of their claims or say if there is a placebo affect at all - but I keep drinking it before skating. It's kinda my alternative to redbull for caffeine since I cut out redbull
ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #47
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
Sugar Load, and contains Saturated Fats in the form of the Palm Oil.

Go ahead and eat it (j/k).

Eat this instead. ALL YOU NEED IS A SPOON! PROMISE!!!!
Old May 7th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #48
rollingfeet

a nice bowl of pasta 2 or 3 hours before and a couple of glasses of some kind of fruit juice right before. bring an apple and a banana with you for around the half way point.
rollingfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #49
funkysk8r

I reach for my blender right before i hit the road and throw in my no fail smoothie ingredients: 1 banana, 1 cup OJ, 1/2 cup or so of vanilla or plain yogurt, YUM! Thats the base recipe which is great, but sometimes i add a handful of frozen strawberries or a sprinkle of wheat germ too if i have it.
Old May 14th, 2011, 02:18 AM   #50
dsa0224

i use dunkin doughnuts for energy.. haha

naw, actually a good cereal. my Nitric oxide workout suppliments help me .
dsa0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 03:04 AM   #51
maxxi

I like to make some spaghetti and tuna with some homemade pasta sauce, instead of using mince meat I use a can of tuna and I also add a slice of smoked salmon a table spoon of goats cheese, black cracked pepper and some extra garlic. And I wash it down with a glass of water with a table spoon of creatine.
This usually get's me through a 4hr session at the rink but it's alway's handy to bring a banana for a bit of a extra boost halfway through the session, good mix of carbs and protein and filtered water from home this works for me.
maxxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #52
online inline

Quote:
a little research solves the yams/sweet potato mystery.

Yes, Yams are actually not grown in the U.S., but mainly in the carribean and are a course skinned root, with more of a yellow or white inner, as opposed to Sweet Potatoes that are smooth skinned. What are sold in the U.S. are not true yams, but are in fact sweet potatoes. A few decades ago, a sweet potato with a softer flesh (or inner) was introduced to the south, so growers refered to these new sweet potatoes by the African name 'Yams' to distinguish them from the conventional sweet potatoes, though they were not Yams at all.

To find true yams, you need to look in an international market. THE USDA requires that conventional sweet potatoes yams also contain the name sweet potato along with the name yams.

Here's an article that explains it a little better than i can http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/myster...eetpotato.html
resurrecting this thread because i finally had the opportunity to seek out, acquire, prepare, and consume the illustrious object of our veneration. The illustrius "Yam" (as opposed to the impostor, 'Sweet Potato'). Don't think so? Just ask Usain Bolt.
HEre it is: Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old August 5th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #53
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

For the smoothie people, if you are looking to add some protein in an easy form, consider hemp seed. Good protein that can be blended with fruit, just as an option. I add it to yoghurt, too.
Old August 6th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #54
online inline

Donnybrook, hemp seed looks like a real nutritional powerhouse! Too bad it's so expensive. As an alternative, i eat a fair amount of quinoa, which doesn't have as much protein as hemp seed, but it does alright still in that area.
And good going at the MN Half, btw!
Old August 6th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #55
Krew76
Banned

My trip to the roller rink usually comprises a visit to Mcdonalds for a Quarter pounder cheese meal with large fries and an orange juice. I save the juice for the journey home. En route i also have a can of redbull , monster or rockstar. Fuels my fire....
Krew76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #56
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Donnybrook, hemp seed looks like a real nutritional powerhouse! Too bad it's so expensive. As an alternative, i eat a fair amount of quinoa, which doesn't have as much protein as hemp seed, but it does alright still in that area.
And good going at the MN Half, btw!
I use the Hemp Seed to supplement other foods with additional protein. I found a bag of it at Costco, something like a couple of pounds for $3-$5. That is the only reason we gave it a try. We do a Quinoa with rice for dinner, also.

Thanks, it was a good race for me. I hope the momentum carries through training to the Northshore.