S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old September 27th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #21
Ice Ramps

Default Day 8

Well I was pretty sore from last night's 8.5 miles, I skated for 1/2 an hour and that was it for tonight. Pretty strong winds and my legs felt like noodles from yesterday. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. Its been a very long time since I have skated every day like this and I have started an aggressive program for one that has been out of it for so long.

*edit: My best calculation was that I did about 2.84 miles tonight, disappointing but its something at least. I knew I was going to have to train up to the distance/time I want, but after the good run last night I thought it was going to be a bit easier. Today was a good reality check.

-Dale
Ice Ramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #22
Ice Ramps

Default Day 9

Day 9, Well the Day 7's workout had me pretty sore but I went out anyway. It was a casual 6.5 miles tonight. I mean very casual, I did get some sprints in but I was dealing with 25 knot headwinds so it was like a slow into the wind and a sprint coming back. A couple of the into the winds I pushed pretty hard but that was only like 2-3 times out of the 23 laps I did. I am more sore than I thought I'd be and almost took a rest day but seeing how I don't have anything else to do in my time off I decided to throw the skates on anyway.

I hoping to feel better in the next two days because I want to get a 12mile in this week.

-Dale

Last edited by Ice Ramps; September 28th, 2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old September 28th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #23
Darkjester
On a hot summer night..

That's pretty cool!
When I was at Bagram Winter of 04'-05' we had the metal grate -temp runway type things down and dirt.

:-)
Old September 28th, 2011, 08:39 PM   #24
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Stay at it Dale!
Old September 29th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #25
Ice Ramps

Default Day 10

1 hour 15minutes tonight, I was listening to my MP3 player and stopped counting laps so I'm not for sure what I did.... another 6-7miles maybe.

*edit: just ordered a hand tally clicker device to make counting laps easier so when I'm breezing along listening music I won't loose track of what number I am on.

-Dale

Last edited by Ice Ramps; September 29th, 2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old September 29th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #26
fierocious1

Default what size wheels?

And boot size? I may have some stuff you can use..
Old September 29th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #27
Ice Ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
And boot size? I may have some stuff you can use..
WoW thanks, I wear a 8.5- 9, maybe a 9.5. I still have a pair of Verducci Customs he built for me in his garage in Ancona, Italy back in 96. Back then I was skating on 5x 80 Ultimate Attitude frames but I am now using Sniper 5x 90's. Of course I did not bring those out here. I'm game to try some of the larger setups so whatever anyone may have is better than the 4x 76mm K2's I'm using. One of my soldiers wears a 10 and I let him use mine but they hurt his feet to much.

-Dale
Old September 30th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #28
Ice Ramps

Default Day 11

Day 11 was a down day for me. My sinuses were messed up today and I had some food that disagreed with me as well. I wanted to skate but seems my body had other plans....
Old October 1st, 2011, 03:48 PM   #29
Ice Ramps

Default Day 12

15.9 miles! Well amazing what a day off will do. 56x 1500' laps (84,000') = 15.9 miles

should count as double since it was on 76mm wheels lol

-Dale
Old October 2nd, 2011, 05:48 PM   #30
Ice Ramps

Default Day 13

I can tell I'm going to sore tomorrow, all my muscles are tight from yesterday. I skated anyway but only 6 miles, lots of stretching and some abdominal stuff I won't bore any of you with.

-Dale
Old October 3rd, 2011, 07:22 PM   #31
Ice Ramps

Default Day 14

Well due to 16 hour work day there was no time to skate today. Its ok since I am a bit sore anyway. I just tried to bid on a used pair of Rollerblade Problades 4 x 100mm on ebay. I thought I was set to win but I was outbid at the last moment and our internet is really slow. I'm looking for a used pair of size 9's, I'll give it another few weeks and If I don't find a decent pair I can abuse out here I may break down and tell my wife to ship my good ones out here. While tempted, I am reluctant to do that.

-Dale
Old October 5th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #32
Ice Ramps

Default Day 15/16

No skating yesterday and probably not tonight either.... Can't discuss it much besides saying work has me very busy at the moment.

UPDATED Edit: I was looking at the Bont.com site and found a closeout deal that I could not pass up, a 2010 JET 3PT with 13.2 Magnesium S-frame this was the 4x 100mm I believe. All for $339 plus shipping. I'm not sure if they can ship here to my APO address but if they can't, then they can ship it to my home and I'll have my wife send them to me.

Carbon composite base
Epoxy resin
Microfiber liner
Microfiber adjustable buckle
Hand made 1 piece construction
SMT(Super Mold Technology)
EVA innersole
Heat moldable tongue
TPU toe protector
Waxed laces
Lace cover
Aluminum S-Frame
Bont G3 100mm 85A Wheels
Bont ABEC 7 racing bearings

*SPECIAL OFFER - 13.2" Magnesium S-frame upgrade for the same price as a 12.8" Aluminum S-frame. The Magnesium S-frame alone retails for $269.

-Dale

Last edited by Ice Ramps; October 5th, 2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old October 5th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #33
Ice Ramps

Default question

Anyone care to speculate the biggest difference between what I ordered and what I am used to skating on? The skates I have back home are custom made Verducci skates that Mr. Verducci made for me in Italy real custom as in made around a plaster mold of my foot not "custom fit" and Bont Sniper2's 5x 90mm frames. What I bought from Bont to skate on out here is Bont Jet 3PT with 13.2 Mag frames 4x 100.

I know the boot will be one major difference, but what about the transition from 5x 90's to 4x 100's ?

thanks,
Dale
Old October 6th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #34
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Ramps View Post
I know the boot will be one major difference, but what about the transition from 5x 90's to 4x 100's?
How that new skate is going to feel is all relative to what you're used to skating on. In general, the 5x90 is a more demanding set up than a 4x100. If you haven't skated on the 5x90 for awhile, at first, your adapation will be more related to going from what you're on now to the new 4x100. So in summary, stepping from 5x90 to 4x100: easier // 4x76 to 4x100: harder. It also depends on how that 4x76 feels right now. Probably a little squirrelly. Looks like that frame is probably 11" +/- wheelbase. It might take a couple skates to get used to it; the 4x100 will feel like steering a truck compared to the 4x76, but definitely more nimble than the 5x90. Once you get the hang of it, you'll probably love it. 4x100 is pound for pound one of the best set ups for general speed skating.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #35
Ice Ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
How that new skate is going to feel is all relative to what you're used to skating on. In general, the 5x90 is a more demanding set up than a 4x100. If you haven't skated on the 5x90 for awhile, at first, your adapation will be more related to going from what you're on now to the new 4x100. So in summary, stepping from 5x90 to 4x100: easier // 4x76 to 4x100: harder. It also depends on how that 4x76 feels right now. Probably a little squirrelly. Looks like that frame is probably 11" +/- wheelbase. It might take a couple skates to get used to it; the 4x100 will feel like steering a truck compared to the 4x76, but definitely more nimble than the 5x90. Once you get the hang of it, you'll probably love it. 4x100 is pound for pound one of the best set ups for general speed skating.

Thanks for the input, I should not have much trouble. I am a very versatile skater. I often would figure skate and then change to hockey skates. As far as inline goes I would switch from Aggressive skates to rec skates to Speed skates several times in a day. (Albeit that was long ago) I got to a point where other than the first few moments say 3-5 minutes switching skates was not an issue. I'm hoping it will be the same way when these arrive.

*Edit: I can't wait to try these out, not just the new boots but a different frame/wheel setup!
-Dale
Old October 6th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #36
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Ramps View Post
I should not have much trouble. I am a very versatile skater.
That's what I recalled was all the different types o skating you've done.
You're gonna freakin' love this skate. You won't have any trouble at all,
trust me. Like you said, couple minutes to sort 'em out and you'll be fine.
You might get a helmet because you're going to be going a heckuva lot
faster
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #37
Ice Ramps

Default DAY 17

64 laps (1500' each) 96,000' = 18.18miles

Somebody please get BONT HQ on the horn and schedule an airdrop of my new skates! I have a important mission of "100 miles"

Seriously by the time I leave I want to be able hit that mark on one session.

-Dale

Last edited by Ice Ramps; October 6th, 2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old October 6th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #38
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

Hi Dale and thanks for your input to the forum and to our nation. I've skated your new setup for over a year and love 'em though they are not custom. The left skate fit like a custom right out of the box and I've only heat molded the right skate once and that was after my second skate. Best wishes with yours and your "100 Mile" goal.

LezSk8!
Old October 6th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #39
Ice Ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by LezSk8 View Post
Hi Dale and thanks for your input to the forum and to our nation. I've skated your new setup for over a year and love 'em though they are not custom. The left skate fit like a custom right out of the box and I've only heat molded the right skate once and that was after my second skate. Best wishes with yours and your "100 Mile" goal.

LezSk8!

Thanks for the reply, I hope I'm as lucky with the fit as you were.

-Dale
Old October 7th, 2011, 08:49 AM   #40
Ice Ramps

Default Day 18

I just woke up a few hours ago and I am so sore today.....ouch. I may do some stretches and some light skating just so my legs don't tighten up to much.

*Edit: I have what feels like a pinched nerve, just below the base of my neck and right shoulder blade, I was trying to stay bent over and looking forward while I was skating. It's been to long, and I'm not used to these distances. Just found one of those air activated heating pouches like you use for snow skiing, I used some first aid cloth tape to hold it in place....ah feels so much better.

-Dale

Last edited by Ice Ramps; October 7th, 2011 at 11:28 AM.

Tags
afghanistan, skating