S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old May 12th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #41
Ice Ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
good skating with you today, Tom & Dale.
Yes, great times, now let's make some noise and see if we can get Mark V, Ami, and Walter to join us. As well any others out there???

Let's skate!
Dale
Ice Ramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #42
phatnsassy
Living on my EDGE

Jealous! It's such a beautiful day! Kids went skiing...I've had a bug so sitting around a lot. insert violin music here

Can't wait to hit the trail though! Weekends are rough -- otherwise -- would be great fun to skate with a group (although I'm quite slow).

I did 16.5 miles the other day on some roads. Didn't want to over do it on my first outdoor day but it was great fun. AND, I was so much faster and confident than last year. It was fantastic...saw 6 eagles, a bunch of cows, two barky dogs and only a couple trucks and a Fed ex van. The trail portion only had a few dogs and wobbly bike riding kids (it was short -- I only popped on the trail to grab some water and get to and from my car).
phatnsassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 04:35 AM   #43
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Ramps View Post
Yes, great times, now let's make some noise and see if we can get Mark V, Ami, and Walter to join us. As well any others out there???

Let's skate!
Dale
Nice to skate with (OK behind) you guys, I did do a bit better then I thought I would with the way things are going. and the good news, my back seems OK tonight.

P.S. might even get off my dead ass and try it agin tomorrow.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 04:38 AM   #44
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatnsassy View Post
Jealous! It's such a beautiful day! Kids went skiing...I've had a bug so sitting around a lot. insert violin music here

Can't wait to hit the trail though! Weekends are rough -- otherwise -- would be great fun to skate with a group (although I'm quite slow).

I did 16.5 miles the other day on some roads. Didn't want to over do it on my first outdoor day but it was great fun. AND, I was so much faster and confident than last year. It was fantastic...saw 6 eagles, a bunch of cows, two barky dogs and only a couple trucks and a Fed ex van. The trail portion only had a few dogs and wobbly bike riding kids (it was short -- I only popped on the trail to grab some water and get to and from my car).
Just tell me when and where and I will see if I can keep up with you, Jerry can chase Walter or someone.
You have my phone number if you know where to look.
Hint: Team roster.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 08:17 PM   #45
Ice Ramps

Default updates

Sorry I have not updated this thread in awhile, I injured my back lifting some furniture or the large truck tires a few weeks back. I am mostly recovered now but my schedule has not been my own lately it seems. It was so much easier to skate in Afghanistan. Here I have my wife's ever changing work schedule, my Daughter's Girl Scouts activities (and her constant sleep overs) and helping friends out with their truck project. Excuses I know, but it was easier to focus down range when all I had was work and skating to deal with.

I have got to get my equipment issues fixed too! I need to get new skates and boots SOON. I must admit it is discouraging to not keep up with the group. Currently I am skating on some really OLD Verducci Full Custom boots and 4x 100mm Z frame. I may have to go back to the Bont setup I used in Afghanistan because while the Verducci boot is better and fits like a 2nd skin the Z-frame is garbage, and my frame choices are limited due the old mounting system. I am about to order the EO M2 frame but it will be July before I can afford the custom boots I need. I'm also thinking the harsh environment of Afghanistan has worn out my bearings too. Granted the equipment is not the only issue but I will not know exactly where I am in my ability until I fix this first.

I am signed up for the full distance on A2A so I need to get these issues resolved soon so I can get back to training.

Anyway I'm on leave now so I should be able to log some miles again soon.

Tom aka SLOWSK8- I have an extra army shirt from Primal Wear for you (no charge)

Barry aka Online Inline: I will get the boots you lent me to try back to you soon, today just did not work out. Not getting to sleep until after 2am and My wife having to go to work at 11am today just did not allow for a morning skate. I'm going to setup my Bont's and hit the trail up here on base in an hour or so (provided the rain does not start)

-Dale
Old June 3rd, 2012, 08:31 PM   #46
online inline

Dale, sorry to hear about your back, but better that it happen now than in a couple of months, when you will need the training time more.
Don't worry about getting the boots back in any hurry, just as long as i get them eventually. Sorry they didn' work out. I too had a just about impossible time getting into them, they are so incrediably stiff.
Equipment: get your boots figured out first, becuase they are the main part of your set up. Then get a frame to work with it. Bearings can be bought really cheap, so don't fret about that, just set aside at least $32 and you will be fine. BUt use this time now to sort the equip. stuff out, would be wise.
Don't take A2A lightly. You will need pleanty of time to train and to get used to a 4x110 skate. I would plan on having everything sorted out soon, so all systems are go for at least 3 months of consistent training.
See ya!
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 08:42 PM   #47
Ice Ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
Dale, sorry to hear about your back, but better that it happen now than in a couple of months, when you will need the training time more.
Don't worry about getting the boots back in any hurry, just as long as i get them eventually. Sorry they didn' work out. I too had a just about impossible time getting into them, they are so incrediably stiff.
Equipment: get your boots figured out first, becuase they are the main part of your set up. Then get a frame to work with it. Bearings can be bought really cheap, so don't fret about that, just set aside at least $32 and you will be fine. BUt use this time now to sort the equip. stuff out, would be wise.
Don't take A2A lightly. You will need pleanty of time to train and to get used to a 4x110 skate. I would plan on having everything sorted out soon, so all systems are go for at least 3 months of consistent training.
See ya!
Barry,

I understand A2A, I did half of the distance back in like 99 oddly enough I was in worse shape then than now. I only stopped at the halfway point for two reasons: it was thunder storming and I had oiled bearings in and I had two friends skating with me that were wiped out so we called it quits there.

Yeah I thought about boots first but I have the funds for the frames now. I really need to decide on a full custom boot......and soon!

-Dale
Old June 3rd, 2012, 09:44 PM   #48
slowsk8

Default WA state games

Hi Dale, check it out.
Just got the news today, this years WA. state games will have roller speed (indoor and outdoor) and skatebording too.
Haven't had time to get all the info. Training for a race next weekend.
But you can look here and find more. http://www.subwaywashingtongames.org/site.php
Old June 4th, 2012, 01:25 AM   #49
Ice Ramps

Just put together the Bont 3 PT MAG frame setup I used in Afghanistan. They are faster like 4:30 pace right off the bat, but oh man they do not fit good like the Verducci's. The problem is the arch area which is difficult to mold on a stock boot. I have no idea how I made these work for as long as I did. OUCH!

-Dale
Old June 23rd, 2012, 04:16 AM   #50
Ice Ramps

Default updates June

Sorry for my lack of updates, I have been skating though. Last Friday I skated 26 miles on base. I came to the conclusion that I needed larger wheels. Here are a couple of post from my Facebook page:

20 JUN 2012: Glenn Koshi sent me new S-Frames so I can finally get on 110's! After cleaning bearings I was just noticing how unimpressed I am with My ILQ-Pro bearings so I also noticed a few of my stock Bont bearings ABEC-7 bearings don't roll as fast as the others. Tried all the tricks repeat cleanings, compressed air, and a few others. As I was dreading the inevitable high end bearing purchase I glanced up at some relics I had hanging up on the wall. I do mean RELICS, I am talking about two sets of Ultimate Attitude frames with 80mm wheels! One pair of 4-wheels and one set of 5-wheels, All with Swiss bearings. So yeah 36 Swiss bearings even gummed up they roll better than my current bearings. Just gave them two quick cleanings and now they are soaking in Fuel overnight. Fairly sure that out of these I will pick the best 16 bearings and be set! Can't wait to try em and the new 110's!

21 June 2012: Thanks Glenn Koshi for helping me with my upgrade to 110's. I figured they would be a bit faster, but WoW! I went from 5 min mile pace to between 3min 32 sec- 4 min mile pace.

simply incredible.......of course my late night skate on a work night was necessary since we are forecast to have rain next 2 days, however this also means its 11pm and I'm wide awake now.

Back to the matter at hand now, Ok Barry (Online Inline) I am thinking I can stay up with you guys a bit better now. Going fast is easier now but I may still need some interval work to be able to maintain the speeds over the long haul. Still even when I became tired on the tail end of last night's skate I was still a full minute faster than my average pace.

-Dale
Old June 23rd, 2012, 04:34 AM   #51
online inline

exciting news, Dale.
Probably not going to be able to hook up with you before i leave town for a few days on vacation. But i've been doing a lot of quality running and skating, and will top it off with some fun mountain biking on the Peninsula these next few days, so keep those new skates fired up.
See ya soon.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:22 AM   #52
Ice Ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
Hi Dale, check it out.
Just got the news today, this years WA. state games will have roller speed (indoor and outdoor) and skatebording too.
Haven't had time to get all the info. Training for a race next weekend.
But you can look here and find more. http://www.subwaywashingtongames.org/site.php
Thanks Tom, I e-mailed Vicci about this event. I want to sign up for the 20K, however I may not be able to since I have never held a USA Roller Sports card. It is listed as a "ELITE" only event. I guess I will see what she says in a bit.

-Dale
Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:42 AM   #53
slowsk8

Quote:
Thanks Tom, I e-mailed Vicci about this event. I want to sign up for the 20K, however I may not be able to since I have never held a USA Roller Sports card. It is listed as a "ELITE" only event. I guess I will see what she says in a bit.

-Dale
Let me know what you find out, as I read it I will have to do all 3 races, 5k 10k 20k
I don't find any way to sign up for just one??????
That would give you a 3k and a 10k, still not a bad day. Want to trade???
Old June 23rd, 2012, 06:23 AM   #54
Ice Ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
Let me know what you find out, as I read it I will have to do all 3 races, 5k 10k 20k
I don't find any way to sign up for just one??????
That would give you a 3k and a 10k, still not a bad day. Want to trade???
She says I'm good to go and can register for the 20k.

1. go here: http://www.subwaywashingtongames.org/site477.php
2. Click on "Register"
3. Next site scroll down to the Outdoor event listed, and click "Attend".
4. The new page that comes up will allow you to select/register for whatever event you decide on.

You can e-mail Vicci here: vicci@vicciking.com

-Dale
Old June 23rd, 2012, 09:41 PM   #55
slowsk8

Quote:
She says I'm good to go and can register for the 20k.

1. go here: http://www.subwaywashingtongames.org/site477.php
2. Click on "Register"
3. Next site scroll down to the Outdoor event listed, and click "Attend".
4. The new page that comes up will allow you to select/register for whatever event you decide on.

You can e-mail Vicci here: vicci@vicciking.com

-Dale
Something is not working. That's the same thing I have been doing but I never find the outdoor events broken down, just the rinks for indoor, and then on the left "outdoor"
When I enter the outdoor page all I can find is a list by age groups not what event????? Might have to get ahold of Vicky.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 10:11 PM   #56
Ice Ramps

Yeah Tom its the same for me. I'm just going to register for Elite and my age group. Figure the rest out there I guess.

Oh I still have a extra Army race top for you.

-Dale
Old June 24th, 2012, 05:16 AM   #57
Ice Ramps

Default 23 June

Rained most of the day but I skated a few hours at the rink on base with my Daughter and her friend.
Old June 24th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #58
slowsk8

Me too, I'm signed up for something, I think it might be 3 races.
Spent my day with my son, then a roller derby bout in Auburn. Just watching.
We have some speed skate girls that do Derby too. Fun afternoon.
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:30 AM   #59
Ice Ramps

Default 24 June

I went to Cedar River Trail today. Arrived about 1:30 today, kinda hoped I'd run into some fellow skaters but no such luck. ‎20 miles average pace 4min 18sec. I passed a few cyclist and kept pace with couple that moving at sub 4min pace. Only managed that for a couple miles though. All in all good workout getting used to the 110's.

-Dale
Old June 25th, 2012, 02:14 PM   #60
slowsk8

I wanted to get out but was babby sitting. Made it to the rink latter though.