S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old April 25th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #1
crashpants
Boo!

Default Had a fall, still hurting...

I fell on April 14th and I'm still off skate because of it. The top edge of my right boot pinched in and bruised the outside of my leg a few inches above the ankle. According to Wikipedia, there's a large nerve that runs to the surface about there, and I think I bruised it too. The discoloration is about gone, but the pain is still pretty high if I walk. How long does it take for a bruised nerve to heal?
Old April 25th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

I don't know. I ALWAYS skate my injuries out. Seems to help.

Seriously. If it ain't broke, skate it.
Old April 26th, 2013, 01:55 AM   #3
PBLsQuad450

I'm no doc and the Internet is a bad one in general... I'm just not sure you can bruise a nerve? Compression on a nerve sure, and that is awful, often permanent and a unique form of almost intolerable pain. People who suffer these compressions sometimes get the nerve cut to put an end to it.

I find things don't heal the way they did a few years ago. A wrist from a fall, elbows from tendinitis setting in from lifting, a few bruised ribs, massive road rash... I learned after babying my wrist to do what FTB just said... Skate through it, work through it. I wrapped my wrist for a whole winter of lifting but it got better quickly and stayed better after being a problem for months. Elbows hurt for months too and I just went into my lifting program out of frustration and they just got better... I did avoid the three lifts that caused the problem and I am paying for that in back pain now...

Btw, I fully realize this is terrible "advice."
Old April 26th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #4
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

I hear ya. After busting up my shoulder last year, I compensated on my pull ups by doing chin ups instead. (something about overhand grip opened up my shoulder)

Now, I can barely do pullups. (only chin-ups.) O well.....

Yea, you're right we probably have definitely given some bad advice!

*I hurt my knee the other day in the bowls and my buddy said, "Hey man, I got some vagasil in the car you can put on that if you need it pussy!"

I lol'd.

Hope you heal up with the quickness crashpants!
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #5
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Are You Doing anything to Add to Healing

Hi

Had several thoughts on this one.

The bruising going away means blood stuff normally. So make sure that is going away quickly otherwise you might have a life long resident ankle stain. My wife has one that maybe could have been prevented to be big and long resident if caught earlier.

That like other areas of the body is a tough area, so make sure you are doing something to aide in healing and reduce small internal swelling. PT for sure when appropriate.

The pain in walking is something that might send you to the doctor. IF really HIGH rather then low to moderate the TIME is now.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

P.S. My worst skating bruise was from a loose shoe lace. Gosh Dang was my rear bruised. My wife thought it would never go away since it was SO HUGE. Yet like Foot2Big I let no one know and continued skating.
Old April 27th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #6
WildBill

My advice, you know your body and what pain is normal vs. not. There's a good reason doctors get paid so well, and I'd rather fork out a little dough knowing I was getting sound medical advice. No use "man-ing" up if you end up with a limp for the rest of your life.
WildBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #7
crashpants
Boo!

Thanks all,

It's manageable with ibuprofen now. I had a busy week and had to walk on it before it was ready. Staying off of it helps. There is one muscle / tendon that is tender so just time to heal.
Old April 27th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #8
WildBill

Just take care of yourself, and take it easy.
WildBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #9
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashpants View Post
Thanks all,

It's manageable with ibuprofen now. I had a busy week and had to walk on it before it was ready. Staying off of it helps. There is one muscle / tendon that is tender so just time to heal.
This early in the season I'd let it heal, nothing worse than a lingering injury all season. If it was mid season I'd most likely train through it if possible.
streamline is offline   Reply With Quote