S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old September 12th, 2015, 03:39 PM   #1
purlingwood

Default Can't pick a plate. Kingpin angle axle

I know I want some riedell 297's, but can't pick a plate. Tempted to try the Snyder's with a 45 degree kingpin, or maybe go with the 15 degree.

I got a pair of dominion 65 is size 10. I am swimming in them. I lost maybe 40lbs since I bought them, so my toes got a bit more wiggle room. The plates are sure-grip XL's in size 7. I am really comfortable with this kind of long plate. The front wheels are touch forward of my big toe knuckle joint. Commonly placed rental skate feel like I'm drunk skating. I'm used to more pressure on the front. I feel tempted to buy a longer plate than typically advised due to my history with my skates. MY current setup is the only one I have really known, bought them the 2nd time skating as an adult. Skating on my front wheels is unstable, not sure if it's my muscles, the room in the boot (about one inch), or the wheels being too forward. I put the DA45 purple cushions in them and just ordered the softer yellow one to try out. For toe stops, I put in small kids toe stops, so I can do a bit more with heel and toe, but still have good brakes. I skate in some unguarded rinks with columns, bare wood floors, and kids not following rules of the road.

MY skate style varies a bit. I am trying a little bit of everything. Speed shuffle skating if I go to one place on Saturday nights. Dabbling with spins and traditional figure skate turns and transitions on my adult lesson night on Tuesdays. If it's just me and my headphones, I tend to do rhythm skate at typical or faster than normal rink speed with a lot of transition from front to back. I'm still learning, but I feel I'm going to blend traditional figure with dance.

Love to try the those 45 degree snyders, but I feel will be a bit unstable with heel and toe footwork and transitions at speed.

I should be in a 9.5 or 9 wide, do you feel 7" axle spacing is too much, Is there a 6.5" axle plate spacing. Also, with those Snyder plates, they offer 3 different styles to each. What's the real difference, front and rear axle placement in relation to the plate? Kingpin angle variation? I do want to keep a toe stop and may go with the figure styled one for using them for moves that require a "toe pick".

I will still keep the dominons for outdoor skating and the high speed shuffle Saturday night place. I will keep some derby wheels on that pair. I just ordered atom low boy 3.0's for it.

Also, I am 38 years old, weight 170-180lbs, 5'9" tall, and I do have small problems with my left knee from time to time, if that is a factor. I like a wheel with some give, but not too much. I use standard 38mm wide wheels with medium compound. I may go back to my roller bones elite 103a's, but I like a little more grip than they offer. So, I use the run of the mill entry level 95A eurathane wheels, very close to the sure-grip fame wheel.
purlingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 04:56 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default So many questons.

I know I want some riedell 297's, but can't pick a plate. Tempted to try the Snyder's with a 45 degree kingpin, or maybe go with the 15 degree.

I got a pair of dominion 65 is size 10. I am swimming in them. I lost maybe 40lbs since I bought them, so my toes got a bit more wiggle room. The plates are sure-grip XL's in size 7.

Bit of a skateboard there.

I am really comfortable with this kind of long plate. The front wheels are touch forward of my big toe knuckle joint. Commonly placed rental skate feel like I'm drunk skating.

That may have more to do with the way they are mounted than the actual plate length.

I'm used to more pressure on the front. I feel tempted to buy a longer plate than typically advised due to my history with my skates.

So where is your sense of adventure?? The longer the plate, the larger the turning radius, in general.

MY current setup is the only one I have really known, bought them the 2nd time skating as an adult. Skating on my front wheels is unstable, not sure if it's my muscles, the room in the boot (about one inch),

One inch?? That is basically 3 sizes too big.

or the wheels being too forward.

If you have 1" of space in front of your toes but the front axle is just under the toe joint, something is way out of whack here.

I put the DA45 purple cushions in them and just ordered the softer yellow one to try out. For toe stops, I put in small kids toe stops, so I can do a bit more with heel and toe, but still have good brakes.

Interesting. I have no toes stops on any of my sk8s, and I also have "good brakes".

I skate in some unguarded rinks with columns, bare wood floors, and kids not following rules of the road.

Old warehouse?? Sounds like great fun. Nothing like dodging the rolling land mines. Out of idle curiosity, where is this place you speak of??

MY skate style varies a bit. I am trying a little bit of everything. Speed shuffle skating if I go to one place on Saturday nights. Dabbling with spins and traditional figure skate turns and transitions on my adult lesson night on Tuesdays. If it's just me and my headphones, I tend to do rhythm skate at typical or faster than normal rink speed with a lot of transition from front to back. I'm still learning, but I feel I'm going to blend traditional figure with dance.

OK... My perspective on this is DO not build your old sk8s if you are trying to up your skills.

Love to try the those 45 degree snyders, but I feel will be a bit unstable with heel and toe footwork and transitions at speed.

The Imperial action (30 btw) is only as unstable as the sk8r driving them. I have more than one of those, and none of them are unstable to me. Put someone that has only been in rentals in them and they may (or may not) have trouble. Much of what is perceived as instability in nothing more than the sk8rs over reaction to the results of their steering input.

I should be in a 9.5 or 9 wide,

So which is it?? Adults have no business "estimating" their correct shoe size.

do you feel 7" axle spacing is too much,

I certainly do. However, that is the about the industry recommended length.

Is there a 6.5" axle plate spacing.

Depends on the plates. Snyders (and many other good US made plate) are available in 0.25" increments. Roll Lines (and other metric plates) are available in 5 or 10mm.

Also, with those Snyder plates, they offer 3 different styles to each.

Care to clarify?? The Super Deluxe (15) Comes in the standard heavy weight, the light version (which is still pretty heavy), the figure and the dance. The figure (aluminum base plate) and dance (steel base plate) DO NOT have stop provisions. Same with the 30 Imperial plates..

The Advantage, based on the Super Deluxe geometry, only comes in one version from the factory, but it can be lightened up a bit with special order Ti parts.

Note: The Super Deluxe had an outdoor racing version, the Grand American. Still can be had new if ya know who to ask. The Imperial based Royal was brought back into production a few years ago. It can be had with stops or no stops.

What's the real difference, front and rear axle placement in relation to the plate? Kingpin angle variation?

I'm not following?? Almost all plates have the same distance from he ends to the axles. The difference is made up by making the middle longer. As far as angle variation? They are what they are. If you are referring to production variability, I have never noted any on the Snyders.

I do want to keep a toe stop and may go with the figure styled one for using them for moves that require a "toe pick".[/QUOTE]

Again, I'm not following. None of the "figure" plates I am aware of have the stop provision. Are you referring to the Iris plug, which is a rubber dance plug?

I will still keep the dominons

Stop right there. If thy do not fit correctly, ditch 'em. Adults have no need to sk8 in boots that do not fit correctly. They adversely impact control and have a bad habit of rubbing tender feet parts.

for outdoor skating and the high speed shuffle Saturday night place. I will keep some derby wheels on that pair. I just ordered atom low boy 3.0's for it.

Really?? I need to look @ Atom's line again @ the trade show.

Also, I am 38 years old, weight 170-180lbs, 5'9" tall, and I do have small problems with my left knee from time to time, if that is a factor. I like a wheel with some give, but not too much. I use standard 38mm wide wheels with medium compound. I may go back to my roller bones elite 103a's, but I like a little more grip than they offer. So, I use the run of the mill entry level 95A eurathane wheels, very close to the sure-grip fame wheel.

Here is food for thought. Different action designs will change the way your sk8s hold the floor. That 30 Snyder will grip better than a 5-15 plate since the wheels tend to stay flat on the floor when turning. Of course, a less stiff action on a 5-15 plate will have a similar effect, up to a point.

One other thought. The DA45 Avenger will give an excellent approximation of the 30 Snyder action, for a heck of a lot less money.
Old September 28th, 2015, 12:52 AM   #3
purlingwood

What are size 10 in the hockey skate world according to dominion. Am I skating in 11's.
purlingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 05:11 AM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Get tio the shoe store.

Get measured on a Brannock. Once we know what size your feet really are, then we can sort your boot size.