S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old October 7th, 2015, 10:35 PM   #1
Altpensacola

Default reverse king pin & double action....

What does reverse king pin mean? Stomp Factor-2 Plus Martini skate says this.
It looks normal from the photo.

Also when a truck is described as double action, what does that mean? I am sure they all go side to side, what else? Is this just marketing?
Old October 7th, 2015, 11:44 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altpensacola View Post
What does reverse king pin mean? Stomp Factor-2 Plus Martini skate says this.
It looks normal from the photo.

Link to the photo please?? There are so many "packages" on the market, I have lost track. Anyway, a reverse king pin is one that adjusts down by the floor (when you are standing on the sk8). The "standard" king pin adjusts up by the plate.

The conventional king pin is locked to the plate with a jam nut. You loosen the jam nut and turn the king pin (with a wrench or screw driver depending) to make the adjustment.

The reverse king pin is also held into the plate with a jam nut but it is NOT intended to be loosened on a routine basis. Major maintenance only. The adjustment is on the other end. It is either a self locking nut, a click nut or a nut that is locked to the king pin with a "grub" screw that expands the the end of the king pin so the adjustment does not drift. The reverse king pin is a more modern feature on a plate.

Also when a truck is described as double action, what does that mean? I am sure they all go side to side, what else?

The term double action refers to the cushions. Typically, they is a similar cushion on both sides of the truck. Single action has one cushion between the plate and truck and a washer or very small cushion between the truck and the floor.

Single action is pretty much obsolete. Double action is much easier to tune and adjust.

Is this just marketing?
Nope, it's the real deal.
Old October 8th, 2015, 03:36 PM   #3
Altpensacola

thanks, helps a lot.
the reverse king pin was a skate on NETSKATE.com
Martini speed skate with
"A Neutron 6000 extruded aluminum plate with reverse kingpins"

You probably don't want to hear this but I once took a smaller kid size set of trucks and made them single action trucks ( I know what its called now!) so they would fit on an adult size plate. They lasted quite awhile.
Old October 9th, 2015, 06:41 AM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altpensacola View Post
You probably don't want to hear this but I once took a smaller kid size set of trucks and made them single action trucks ( I know what its called now!) so they would fit on an adult size plate. They lasted quite awhile.
If it was necessary to get some sk8s rolling and worked OK, more power to ya.