S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old October 16th, 2015, 11:36 AM   #1
coolryder68

Default Advantage plate design flaw

Hi Doc
I have bought the advantage plate to compare to my machined plates. Right away I noticed the way they lock the toe stops down pulls the bottom of the plate out of flat! Actually by quite a bit. I will mount these to carbon fiber Bonts and am afraid of cracking the base of the boot. I am considering putting another saw cut at the base of the plate so it won't pull the plate out of flat when tightening the toe stop. Any suggestions? How do you deal with the issue as I'm sure you have mounted a few? Thanks Bill
coolryder68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2015, 07:35 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolryder68 View Post
Hi Doc
I have bought the advantage plate to compare to my machined plates.

Your machined plates?? Got pix?? Always interested in seeing custom stuff.

Right away I noticed the way they lock the toe stops down pulls the bottom of the plate out of flat!

You are referring to the twist that is placed on the base plate mounting flange when gap closes as the lock screw is torqued down??

Actually by quite a bit.

Interesting. I just looked @ mine. Although they are on a 395, they do have a toe stop currently installed. (Loaners for now, I am not a stop user.) I see no obvious twist. So, thinking it through, my first though is you have a sub diameter stem on your stop. I have run into those on derby sk8s. That would give you more torque on the base flange as you tighten down on the stop. The other less likely is the hole is over bored a bit. Can't really tell without having them.

I will mount these to carbon fiber Bonts and am afraid of cracking the base of the boot. I am considering putting another saw cut at the base of the plate so it won't pull the plate out of flat when tightening the toe stop. Any suggestions?

I would not perform surgery on the plates. Voids the warranty.

How do you deal with the issue as I'm sure you have mounted a few? Thanks Bill
Bet you could get away with leaving out the forward mount screw on the stop screw side, which would give it more room to flex without loading your boots.

You mentioned this as a design flaw.. While I am not real enamored with that clamp design either, remember the Advantage came out in Y2K primarily intended as an art plate. The OG Bont quad boots were a forgotten memory and the new carbon Bonts did not show up until 8 years later. Yeah Snyder neglected to predict the future... but it is not a flaw. Oh the best clamp design?? The Chicago Futura. Look familiar?? The Laser and Satellite both used it. I wonder if they licensed the design??

Old October 17th, 2015, 02:58 AM   #3
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Default Edea Power Wedge

Doc, with the power wedge solve this problem?
Old October 17th, 2015, 04:53 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
Doc, with the power wedge solve this problem?
No I don't think so. The wedge works very well on Roll Line and Crazy plates if the boot gap has the correct geometry. This issue is more about actually distorting the shape of the mounting surface when tightening the toe stop clamp.
Old October 20th, 2015, 10:57 PM   #5
coolryder68

Default advantage plates

Hi Doc
Thank you for the reply and the info. I did contact suregrip and the they said It should be no problem once mounted. I will say the sole of the Bont was thicker and much stronger than I would have thought. I put them together and the toe stop tightens no prob. Is there a good cloud program to use for pics? Thanks Bill

Last edited by coolryder68; October 20th, 2015 at 11:04 PM. Reason: picture link bad
coolryder68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 02:49 PM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Look here

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...read.php?t=476