S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old December 24th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #1
Armadillo

Default Metro Skate: for the Urban Trailblazer

Railroad crossings? - not a problem!

Standard quad plate hardware - reversed, glue only mounted Nova base with Panther trucks
Inline or Quad Wheels - 84mm maximum
Carbon fiber embedded sheet sole reinforcement, carbon arch, and side counters
Exceptional turning response near DA45 level, despite long wheelbase.

More build PICs will follow shortly

-Armadillo
Old December 24th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #2
cass38a

I would like to see you roll over a rail crossing at speed on those, me thinks that they will still hang up, impossible to do on one foot.

5 x 90 or 4 x110 inlines are about the only skates that can claim that.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #3
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post
I would like to see you roll over a rail crossing at speed on those, me thinks that they will still hang up, impossible to do on one foot.

5 x 90 or 4 x110 inlines are about the only skates that can claim that.
Lot of variation on the quality of RR crossings, and even with the 110mm some will even still scare me.

Point taken though and I will certainly cherry pick the ones I try with 84mm wheels.

Since the inline wheels do flat out quickly, I can probably work in a set of 90mm and avoid wheel bite once they flatten out some.

Still, the point of the build is to have a pair of quads optimized to handle most of what the urban terrain can throw at me, with a long wheelbase and very big wheel capability. plus a sole with build in foam cushioning that acts like a shock absorber, allowing axles to elevate some while foot rises very little.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; December 25th, 2012 at 05:18 AM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 05:01 AM   #4
cass38a

It's the ability of an inline skate to bridge over large gaps which makes them better not just the size of the wheels.

I believe a 5 x 80 or even an old 5 x 72 inline skate would be better than any quad skate set up even if you can manage to put 100 or 110 mm wheels on there.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 05:15 AM   #5
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post
It's the ability of an inline skate to bridge over large gaps which makes them better not just the size of the wheels.

I believe a 5 x 80 or even an old 5 x 72 inline skate would be better than any quad skate set up even if you can manage to put 100 or 110 mm wheels on there.
If you want to skate inlines outdoors, then of course they are going to handle any and every kind of surface irregularities better than this new quad skate build will.

However, if you still prefer to skate quads outdoors, and you want the best possible setup for handling the worst surface conditions, then this kind of a quad skate build optimization is, IMO, about as good as you are going to get.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; December 26th, 2012 at 05:06 AM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 04:15 AM   #6
Ryoskatekov
Professional N00B

Very Interesting build, and just as a Advice, If you EVER come across a situation where you carry a back pack of about half your weight, and have to go skate through the streets.... Its best to avoid that..

Few days ago, I tried it on a Rollerblade boots, 3X100mm inlines(the frame is pretty long too..) with about 25+kg backpack to go to school since my bike broke..... At first I thought I will be allright since I've done Miles of Up & down hill at high speeds without backpack.... But I was wrong.. I almost killed myself on the street, every second I felt like I was either going to trip on the smallest crack or fall backwards or not be able to stop and be ran over by a car...

I'm not arguing about anything of your build by the way.... just speaking from experience things NOT to attempt with urban skates haha....

Good luck on the urban quads!
Old January 12th, 2013, 07:34 AM   #7
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoskatekov View Post
Very Interesting build, and just as a Advice, If you EVER come across a situation where you carry a back pack of about half your weight, and have to go skate through the streets.... Its best to avoid that..

Few days ago, I tried it on a Rollerblade boots, 3X100mm inlines(the frame is pretty long too..) with about 25+kg backpack to go to school since my bike broke..... At first I thought I will be allright since I've done Miles of Up & down hill at high speeds without backpack.... But I was wrong.. I almost killed myself on the street, every second I felt like I was either going to trip on the smallest crack or fall backwards or not be able to stop and be ran over by a car...

I'm not arguing about anything of your build by the way.... just speaking from experience things NOT to attempt with urban skates haha....

Good luck on the urban quads!
Thanks, you reminded me to post more PICs (going backwards in time):
First plate fully glued and fully cured -

-Armadillo