S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old December 9th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #21
HK47
Roll Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
Also, AFAIK the fastest quadskater in the last Goodwood marathon was on 65mm Kryptonics (or Hyper Rollos? Anyway, wheels with no real hub).
Hyper Rollos. IIRC his marathon time was something like 1h20 on them, with Boiani Star plates and green trainers for boots
Old December 9th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #22
yellowjacket

Quote:

Then you'd have to stick to longboard wheels with side-set bearings like Kryptonics or Cadillacs - there are some slimmer 70mm Cadillacs (but they haven't got very good reviews on longboard forums) or simply get wheels made for quad skates like the Lazer-X-Tech Blazes

Yeah that's what I was figuring, that's one reason I was leaning kryptonics from the start, I figured I wouldn't need to cut them.
yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #23
Nellie

76mm Zombie Hawks would be another option if they fit your plates (the 70mm ones have a lip on the inside that you'd need to cut ).
Or you could try these:

The fact that longboarders don't like them all that much (for slides!) doesn't mean they won't make nice quad wheels. They're also slimmer than Kryptonics and lighter, and pretty inexpensive in the shops where you can still find them (seem to have been discontinued).
http://www.skatesonhaight.com/Cadill...mdwhecad70.htm
I'm tempted to give them a try myself now that they're so comparatively cheap . Must resist, though, as I already own three sets of 70mm wheels and haven't even used that size much recently.
If you really just want a comfortable ride on rough roads I'd say you can't really go wrong with Kryptonics, either.
Nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 12:46 AM   #24
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I dont think even a 78a wheel would be "too soft". Considering its a quad wheel your talking about even at 200 lbs you have to think about the footprint the wheel is making and the pressures seen on it.

My rollerblades came with 78a wheels and their footprint is extremely small in comparison to any quad wheel. I weigh 185, and in no way did they feel sluggish on concrete smooth asphalt or rough asphalt. Actually rough asphalt is here thy preformed mush better over a set of 84a wheels i had. Also you dont want a core that extends out to the circumfrence of the wheel. Thin urethane is bad, it maxes the urethanes flex out and you will lose speed and rebound.

Honestly i never worry about weights of wheels. The only way id consider a wheels weight is if i had several wheels i was looming at. With all of them posessing the exact characteristics i wanted and weight being the last deciding factor.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:35 AM   #25
yellowjacket

Quote:
76mm Zombie Hawks would be another option if they fit your plates (the 70mm ones have a lip on the inside that you'd need to cut ).
Or you could try these:

The fact that longboarders don't like them all that much (for slides!) doesn't mean they won't make nice quad wheels. They're also slimmer than Kryptonics and lighter, and pretty inexpensive in the shops where you can still find them (seem to have been discontinued).
http://www.skatesonhaight.com/Cadill...mdwhecad70.htm
I'm tempted to give them a try myself now that they're so comparatively cheap . Must resist, though, as I already own three sets of 70mm wheels and haven't even used that size much recently.
If you really just want a comfortable ride on rough roads I'd say you can't really go wrong with Kryptonics, either.

That link is great, but apparently they only have "1" in stock (I assume that's one package of 4?). I'll use some google-fu to see what I see though, definitely an option. Thanks!

EDIT: Looks like they only have 65mm here:
http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?...l=product_list

but a ton of "cruzer" wheels.
Old December 10th, 2012, 05:25 AM   #26
Armadillo

I would roll on those Cadillac wheels in the 70mm and 80A if the asphalt was on the rougher side. I expect they would out perform the Krypto wheels too.

Even when you are not specifically shooting for maximum speed, it is still good to have some roll outdoors at slower speeds too.

Plenty of wheels can deliver an outdoor ride that feels pretty good, even on rough asphalt, but how well they let you maintain your roll (momentum) varies tremendously.

Indoors, the rule of thumb is that the firmer the wheel, the better the roll will be, but outdoors this doesn;t hold, as it more depends on the roughness of the surface.

If your feet get numb from wheel vibrations, you can be sure that lost rolling momentum energy is the "engine" producing these vibrations.

So, when the asphalt is rough, the softer urethanes (with decent rebound) will do better at maintaining your roll.

However, in order for the softer urethane rebound to work for you, it needs to be properly squished every time it comes around and goes between the hub and the asphalt.

The Krypto wheels with the goofy spiked hub are not going to do this very well. They are more engineered for improved skate board slides, where the variable contact pressure going across the wheel, because of the asymmetrical hub shape, helps for control of the board during slides.

They do roll more like a narrower wheel when going straight ahead, which can be a speed bonus, but they verge on concentrating too much pressure under the hub zone which can over squish the urethane and reduce the potential rebound, and give less roll.

-Armadillo
Old December 10th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #27
Nellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacket View Post
That link is great, but apparently they only have "1" in stock (I assume that's one package of 4?).
Yes, that'll be a package of four. Could you not just get two different colours? That's what I would have done anyway .
Here you can still get all colours, so sometimes it's good we're always behind with American skating products .
Oh, apparently you can still get two packs of white wheels in the shop I linked, not sure I'd go for those, though.
Old December 10th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #28
yellowjacket

Quote:
Yes, that'll be a package of four. Could you not just get two different colours? That's what I would have done anyway .
Here you can still get all colours, so sometimes it's good we're always behind with American skating products .
Oh, apparently you can still get two packs of white wheels in the shop I linked, not sure I'd go for those, though.

I forgot about trying different colors! :facepalm:

I did find this place too...
http://www.tailtap.com/cadillacwheels.html
Old December 10th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #29
Nellie

Quote:
I did find this place too...
http://www.tailtap.com/cadillacwheels.html
Nice, almost all the colours
Now which ones are you getting??
Old December 10th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #30
yellowjacket

Quote:
Nice, almost all the colours
Now which ones are you getting??

Probably black/smoke

Oh, and one more question... do I need 8mm bearings for these and my rebel invader plates?

http://www.derbysmack.com/china-bone...l#.UMYklYM82cF
Old December 10th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #31
Nellie

Quote:
Probably black/smoke

Oh, and one more question... do I need 8mm bearings for these and my rebel invader plates?
I'd have gone for a pink, green, possibly white mix . I'd really like to see a photo once you've got the wheels on your skates. Oh, and a short review would be extremely nice, too .
If your current bearings are 608 (should say on their shields), you need 8mm, if they're 627, you need 7mm. Another test is if a standard pencil fits into your bearing holes, they're 8mm. Invaders can have either 7mm or 8mm axles.
Old December 10th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #32
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
I would roll on those Cadillac wheels in the 70mm and 80A if the asphalt was on the rougher side. I expect they would out perform the Krypto wheels too.

Even when you are not specifically shooting for maximum speed, it is still good to have some roll outdoors at slower speeds too.
Plenty of wheels can deliver an outdoor ride that feels pretty good, even on rough asphalt, but how well they let you maintain your roll (momentum) varies tremendously.

Indoors, the rule of thumb is that the firmer the wheel, the better the roll will be, but outdoors this doesn;t hold, as it more depends on the roughness of the surface.

If your feet get numb from wheel vibrations, you can be sure that lost rolling momentum energy is the "engine" producing these vibrations.

So, when the asphalt is rough, the softer urethanes (with decent rebound) will do better at maintaining your roll.

However, in order for the softer urethane rebound to work for you, it needs to be properly squished every time it comes around and goes between the hub and the asphalt.

Agreed. Remember your on quads, and the weight displacement is much greater so running a soft wheel wont cause a lot of compression. Also quads have a terrible time with hanging up on the smallest of cracks due to their much wider contact patch with the ground, a soft wheel helps this alot. I realize a lot of people love quads over inlines but inline skates are worlds safer outside of the rink, not because they are better but a person rolling over a small stick with quads will often eat sh!t if they aren't careful. However inlines cut most sticks in 1/2 and almost never hang up on sidewalk cracks that would devour a unsuspecting coasting quad user.

Wasn't trying to go off topic bust if your after the outdoor fitness inlines are the way to go, if your after high speed training for quads ignore my inline recommendations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
The Krypto wheels with the goofy spiked hub are not going to do this very well. They are more engineered for improved skate board slides, where the variable contact pressure going across the wheel, because of the asymmetrical hub shape, helps for control of the board during slides.

They do roll more like a narrower wheel when going straight ahead, which can be a speed bonus, but they verge on concentrating too much pressure under the hub zone which can over squish the urethane and reduce the potential rebound, and give less roll.

-Armadillo
Totally agree. Those hubs look like crap to me. Honestly i see Krypto as a lower level company comparable to roller derby or mongoose. Hehehe. its like they try all the wrong things.
Old December 12th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #33
yellowjacket

So this is just me displaying my ignorance here, but why do these bearings come in sets of 16 when you only have 8 wheels? Each wheel only has 1 bearing right?

http://www.derbysmack.com/china-bone-red-bearings.html

Also, are there any benefits to these or is this all hype:
http://www.derbysmack.com/zero-nutz.html#.UMflPoM82cE
Old December 12th, 2012, 02:16 AM   #34
cass38a

Quote:
Each wheel only has 1 bearing right?
]
Wrong, each wheel has 2 bearings, pull one off and have a look
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #35
yellowjacket

The skates are currently undergoing surgery at doc's, but I'm awful glad I asked
Old December 12th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #36
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Thanks a lot for all the responses everyone, they're a huge help!
Still waiting to hear what type of skating you're going to be doing, strait line speed or exercise or stand still dance
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #37
yellowjacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Still waiting to hear what type of skating you're going to be doing, strait line speed or exercise or stand still dance

Oh, sorry. Just exercise at this point. I bought these quads a while back and between family stuff that popped up and just an all-around busy schedule I ended up barely ever being able to take time off to drive out to a rink to skate. I just want some outdoor wheels so I can just throw them on and skate around locally (neighborhood, paved bike/jogging trails, etc) whenever I get a little free time without having to set aside a big chunk of my day, drive out, pay admission, etc, you know? It's driving me crazy having these awesome skates (awesome for me at least, first time I've used non-rental skates lol) just sitting in the closet collecting dust.
Old December 12th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #38
ursle
Street Skater

Kinda what I thought, not sure a hugh wheel will be correct, great to go in a straight line at speed but cumbersome otherwise. I'd look at the route 65's, soft, lots of urethane and large enough to tool around but not a job to start and stop.

Should you ever decide to become a long distance in a straight line skater get some hugh wheels but as I see it not needed at this time, jmho,ymmv
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #39
skate mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Agreed. Remember your on quads, and the weight displacement is much greater so running a soft wheel wont cause a lot of compression. Also quads have a terrible time with hanging up on the smallest of cracks due to their much wider contact patch with the ground, a soft wheel helps this alot. I realize a lot of people love quads over inlines but inline skates are worlds safer outside of the rink, not because they are better but a person rolling over a small stick with quads will often eat sh!t if they aren't careful. However inlines cut most sticks in 1/2 and almost never hang up on sidewalk cracks that would devour a unsuspecting coasting quad user.
You are correct if you're on a rear mounted plate with a bunch of toe hanging off the front. Plates mounted very close to the front of the boot, even with a toe stop do not get hung up on everything. Move to a taller wheel and you're even better off. I hit the sidewalk cracks at an angle to avoid getting both wheels in there at once.
skate mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #40
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I used to skate on quads outdoors a long time ago. A small sidewak crack pimp slapped me. Since those days ive adjusted foot placement for outdoors so i never have my feet side by side . I almost always keep my legs separated as if im taking 1/2 a step. Gives a little more time for reflexes to respond when he earth tries to swallow your feet or grab them.

I can see how a extreme forward mount would bump up over cracks easier.

The other thing I tend to do outdoors is not stop taking strides. Tends to help.