S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old July 18th, 2013, 07:57 AM   #1
Metaphor

Default Accident in a lesson today--looking for advice

Hi guys,

Just wanted to pick your brains for some insight. Last week I took my first lesson on quads. I'm an accomplished inline skater but wanted to branch out a bit. We were a group of three learning outdoors. We spent at least an hour working on stance&balance on grass, ready position, as well as simple skating (duck walk). I want to emphasize how much time was on ready position and safety until the instructor was sure I and the other learner were prepared to deal with flat, unsloped concrete.

Within half an hour of moving onto concrete, the other learner had two falls, both backwards. In the second fall, he also landed hard on his elbow, and I get the impression he's fractured his elbow.

I've been reflecting on the accident and what went wrong. It was obvious the other learner maintained a great athletic stance on grass, but went wobbly as hell and looked nearly doubled over every time he'd move on concrete. (You know the way out-of-control beginners look in most sliding sports, with insufficient flexion of the ankle/knee, compensating with far too much flexion at the waist.) Our instructor was amazing, and I can't fault her. After all, the learner had a great stance&balance on grass, but as soon as he'd put his foot on concrete, his stance fell apart. And we weren't trying to skate--we were all just trying to step onto concrete, do a few v-steps or a duck walk, and then step back onto the grass. The instructor also lent some light support to the learner on concrete to get him into a better ready position, and at that time he was less freaked out. But on his own he just fell apart. I've never seen someone become so insanely wobbly. Clearly the learner had some major anxiety, which the instructor tried to talk him through. But it still ended in a fractured elbow.

But what in the world else could the instructor have done?
Metaphor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #2
Quadtastic
Quads live!!!

I'm slightly similar to you I quite a good inline speed skater and competed for my club, state and country, but I originally was a quad skater and still am a quad skater.

To be honest what you described sounded fine. If I were the instructor I would focus on a few things giving tips, making the skaters watch, making them skate and watching them then giving them more tips. I feel having time on wheels is the best way to get to a certain standard. Once you get to this standard you can work more on technique.
Quadtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 11:52 AM   #3
cass38a

Some people just can't do it..........
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 12:07 PM   #4
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

One trick is to tighten the wheels so they don't roll too freely. Or, use a low quality bearing that does not roll well.

Also, if a skate has a toe stop, first teach a person to stand on one skate, wheels down, with the toe stop down on the other foot. THEN try and get them to try standing on two feet, wheels down. This has a great advantage: The one toe stop down is their safe place. As soon as things get wonky wheels down, quickly put that toe down, and order is quickly restored before someone falls.
Old July 20th, 2013, 01:10 AM   #5
ursle
Street Skater

Zero speed falls are the worst
The instructor should've been out of skates, holding the person, standing still and walking are the most difficult thing to do, even for people with years.
Jmho,ymmv

This is outside, cement, etc...
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #6
CrazeeDave
Geriatric Quad Class

The learning/balance process can be tough. Yes, ursle, stationary falls can be the worst. The 1st lesson I like to teach beginners is the art of falling. Always try to fall forward when at a standstill. Even if you're going over directly backwards, attempt a body twist and land in the push-up position. This is best practiced on carpet or grass. I've always maintained, if I'm not falling down, I'm not having max fun.

60 secs of Quad Vert Fun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYJgY2PJ_vk
CrazeeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 08:58 PM   #7
Armadillo

Feeling your proper balance on skates is best learned while rolling at some minimum speed.

The times I still feel most unstable on my skates are those when I am just standing around on them, or even like at a race start line & first step out, or rolling super slow.

Smooth concrete, especially with harder wheels, is not the best for starting out on quads either. Way better to start on rougher asphalt with soft wheels that can stick a little better on location and hold your feet down in one place a bit better as you learn how to keep your plates properly positioned under your changing focus of weight.

-Armadillo
Old July 21st, 2013, 06:18 PM   #8
ascar larkinyar
Remebering how to rex

more safety equipment?
Old July 22nd, 2013, 08:56 AM   #9
Metaphor

Thanks for the replies. Good points about how being stationary tends to result in more falls and worse falls.

It turns out the learner wasn't as seriously injured as initially appeared. His arm did bruise insanely and almost immediately (you could literally see the bruise forming), but he's apparently not broken anything.
Metaphor is offline   Reply With Quote