S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum > Inline Artistic
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Inline Artistic Discussions about artistic skating on inline figure skates.

Old August 21st, 2009, 10:28 PM   #1
tguido56

Default A UK company reinvented the artistic inline skate

A fresh new.
I've just discovered the Iceblading site, by KCO Inline Ice Skating Ltd.
They advertise their "new concept" of inline artistic skates.
http://www.iceblading.co.uk/

The home page description tells "Iceblading is a new pathway into Learning how to Ice Skate without Ice! We are the first in the UK to produce a new inline skate SPECIALLY DESIGNED TO TEACH ICE SKATING SKILLS. Iceblading looks and feels like you are skating on ice. What makes it appealing is that it can be done on any smooth flat surface. Our dry ice blade replicates a real ice blade so jumps spins and turns can be performed!"

According to Applied Product Design, the company appointed for design engineering and production, fresh research and ideas have been put into the frames.
http://www.appliedproductdesign.co.u...iceblading.php

Certainly the look has its appeal, with the resemblance of a true ice blade.
Apart from that, I wonder what really new can be put in such a kind of product.

Inline artistic skates are already manufactured by several different firms around the world.
Each producer is trying to do his best in offering some kind of advantages over the competitors. They are all working since longtime, and continue to ameliorate and/or modify or diversify their products.
So... how can it be that a new company will perform better than the ones with a much longer tradition?

The same overall question emerges from
http://www.serpentineroad.com/viewtopic.php?p=461765
A good reading, I think.
tguido56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 01:23 AM   #2
Arthur Lee

Some has made their comments on the BBC Dragons' Den. Check it out!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dragonsden/entr...enoneill.shtml

It's true that Inline artistic skates have been already manufactured by several different firms around the world, and I am one of the them. Karen O'Neill @KCO Inline Ice Skating Ltd bought a pair of Snow White Frames size 15 in July 2008 from SpikeyPete.com, our UK distributor.

In any common sense, I cat not accept their advertisement or claims of "new concept" of inline artistic skates.

As to the Intellectual Property issue, the Applied Product Design makes following description in their website:

"KCO were keen to protect the designs being generated. As such Applied Product Design wrote several patents to protect the relevant features of the design. All the drawings for which the designers were able to extract from the CAD work generated during the design phase."

Well..., I have foreseen there will be a lot of disputes of this since PIC skates owns a patent over artistic inline frames since 1995, plus there are lots of prior arts of different frames from other firms before KCO's 'invention'...

Arthur Lee
Managing Director
Double L's International Co., Ltd.
www.inlinefigure.com
Arthur Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 08:51 PM   #3
firefly

Unhappy So Much Wrong Here...

Obviously, no one has ever introduced these people to the concept of artistic inline..... They seem to think it's an original idea to jump and/or spin on inline skates...

Saw their video....NOT IMPRESSED. Those girls could have done just as well on snow whites or pics. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuLmr5vjq4Y

Thought of sending them a video response of Rolaboi, Urquia or Traonouez (or a heel camel by Bryant)....but didn't want to seem like a jerk.

It just bugs me that they seem to "dis" regular inline by trying to imply that they are something "new." (As opposed to "regular" old inline that people get board of anyways.)

And the concept of the "universal lesson" (you can download it. ) is completely irresponsible. No longer a need to actually see and analyze your student's mistakes.....Nope. Now general concepts can cover it all. Honestly, I hope no one gets hurt.

Also, noticed that (on this video anyway) there are axel jumps, scratch spin, and spirals and a stag at :50. Look closely at that stag. To put it nicely, it did not seem...."super secure." (Not sure if this is the skater or the skates.) But I did take another look at them. That "toe rake" looks like it would be absolutely horrible to do toe jumps in (flip, lutz, mapes, toe walley, stags, splits etc.) Just don't see how you could get any decent spring off the thing.

Last edited by firefly; August 23rd, 2009 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Added URL, added toe rake observation
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Molydomancer

I have just found this story about these skates:

http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/co...A45%3A19%3A530

I can't comment on the technical aspects but it appears that they are aiming to produce inline skates that feel the same as ice skates, for use by ice skaters when their rink is closed or for off-ice training.

How close are existing inline skates to ice skates in the way they feel to the skater? The article quotes the woman behind these as saying: "We realised they [the inline skates] were too high and too fast and weren't quite like ice skates. The weight distribution is all wrong - it was like skating on stilts. We went to a designer and adapted them."
Molydomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #5
firefly

Too high and too fast????!!!
Maybe I understand what she means by "high" but fast???????
Ice is much faster as there is no friction to push against. So I don't get what she means by that.

To be fair, I haven't tried a pair of these skates......but I don't see how you can ever hope to reproduce a "feel" of ice with any type of inline. (As I mentioned, there is friction on a solid surface with wheel vs gliding over (water) on ice. (Very little friction, sideways "slide" capabilities etc.)....Just will never be close to the same on any inline....After skating on both, I feel safe saying that inines are a hybrid that is 60% like roller, 20% like ice, and 20% it's own animal. (What a strange creature!!!)

Also.....
To me, it looks like this inline has a difficult toe stop design to do toe jumps in. I couldn't get the news article about them to play on my computer, but on the video above it is interesting that they do not do any toe jumps (flip, mapes) except the stags......um.....Still don't think that "toe rake" would work for a double (but I could be wrong. Like I said, haven't tried them.) It seems it would throw your jumps out instead of up (it is slanted, like an extremely worn toe stop.) It would be great to spin in because you could just get on the stop and twirl (no need to use an edge), and, from what I've heard from ice skaters who have contacted me (after seeing my videos) they are amazed that I can spin (especially backspin) on inlines. This is because they are trying to spin everything on their toestops instead of on an edge like a roller (quad) skater (which works well for backspins). But, of course, if you have never skated quad, only ice, you wouldn't know how to do this.....So, yes, this design would definitely make spins easier for them.
Old August 28th, 2009, 12:50 AM   #6
jkaplenk
Skating Afficiondo

Post Toe stop

This definitely looks like a PIC rip-off, but the design and concepts have been used elsewhere, so it might be difficult to do anything about it.

I'm not impressed with the toe-stop either. There doesn't seem to be enough material to allow for wear. I like the roller skating type of toe stop the best since it is adjustable and can handle the wear. I also was able to adjust the older PIC toe stop by letting it wear and rotating it or cutting it with a file or saw to the height I wanted (which I can still do with the new design). This new manufacturers design doesn't allow for any of that.

Joe Kaplenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly View Post
Too high and too fast????!!!
Maybe I understand what she means by "high" but fast???????
Ice is much faster as there is no friction to push against. So I don't get what she means by that.

To be fair, I haven't tried a pair of these skates......but I don't see how you can ever hope to reproduce a "feel" of ice with any type of inline. (As I mentioned, there is friction on a solid surface with wheel vs gliding over (water) on ice. (Very little friction, sideways "slide" capabilities etc.)....Just will never be close to the same on any inline....After skating on both, I feel safe saying that inines are a hybrid that is 60% like roller, 20% like ice, and 20% it's own animal. (What a strange creature!!!)

Also.....
To me, it looks like this inline has a difficult toe stop design to do toe jumps in. I couldn't get the news article about them to play on my computer, but on the video above it is interesting that they do not do any toe jumps (flip, mapes) except the stags......um.....Still don't think that "toe rake" would work for a double (but I could be wrong. Like I said, haven't tried them.) It seems it would throw your jumps out instead of up (it is slanted, like an extremely worn toe stop.) It would be great to spin in because you could just get on the stop and twirl (no need to use an edge), and, from what I've heard from ice skaters who have contacted me (after seeing my videos) they are amazed that I can spin (especially backspin) on inlines. This is because they are trying to spin everything on their toestops instead of on an edge like a roller (quad) skater (which works well for backspins). But, of course, if you have never skated quad, only ice, you wouldn't know how to do this.....So, yes, this design would definitely make spins easier for them.