S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old May 27th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #1
2old2sk8t

Question Slalom Hill Skating and Upper Body Movement

I'm having a hard time reconciling the following two statements from Eddy Matzger, as they seem to be contradictory in regard to upper body movement while slalom skating downhill. The first statement came from a link off Skatecentral.com. I can't tell if it is directly attributable to Eddy Matzger, but it's tied to his workshop. The second is from an oft-linked magazine article published in 1994.

1- "Slaloming isn't just loads of fun, it's also a great way to slow down and stop!
Counter the movement of your lower body with your upper, and keep your hands in front of you. This will help to give your upper body a relatively "quiet", smooth ride. When your lower body is turning left and leaning left, your upper body should be countering by turning right and leaning right, and vice versa."
http://www.skatecentral.com/custom/c...eed.speed.html

2- "For maximum stoppage power, I use slalom turns, .... Above all, I don't want to throw myself off by rotating my shoulders. The steeper the hill, the more this applies. No matter how steep the descent, if you can slalom like a skier, the finish chute will never be a source of anxiety, and you will own every undulatory wave of the paved world."
http://www.skatecentral.com/custom/c...eed.speed.html

How can you turn your upper body (Statement 1) without rotating your shoulders (Statement 2)? What am I missing here? Different techniques for different conditions or objectives? In viewing Eddy's online videos, I don't see much shoulder rotation, which is consistent with #2.
2old2sk8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #2
creamburmese

Default slalom skating

The 2 messages are not inconsistent...although one could interpret them that way. In both cases he means that your upper body remains quiet and faces down the hill, while your hips and legs rotate underneath you. In the first example, he's commenting on what the shoulders do relative to the hips, and in the second case he is talking about what the shoulders are doing relative to the hill. in both cases the shoulders and upper body remain quiet and facing down the hill while the hips and lower legs rotate .... speaking as a skier, got lots of experience with this!
Old May 29th, 2009, 01:33 AM   #3
2old2sk8t

Thumbs up

Hi cb,

Thanks for the reply. I did a fair amount of skiing in my younger days, so I can understand your explanation.
2old2sk8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #4
DrXer

It's almost identical to skiing. I raced downhill for a number of years in my youth and it totally brings back the muscle memory. Falling is a bit worse on asphalt than it is on snow.

-marc
DrXer is offline   Reply With Quote