S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old February 1st, 2009, 11:26 PM   #1
Acefighter246

Default Completely New At This

after some decision i feel that i need to loose weight (currently 346lb)
and i want to do this to drop down

i know absolutely nothing about this but i want skates of some type with big wheels and durable and actually look good

balance is not going to be an issue as i frequently practice martial arts
(if you think thats going to matter)

and cost isnt an issue i just want what will hold me up and make me move fast

help me find what im looking for
Acefighter246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:31 AM   #2
Curious Cat
Hockey Nut

Moving fast is one thing, but you may want to move slower so you can put some more effort into it so you can loose some weight.

Where are you going to skate? Who are you going to skate with? and how far will you be travelling (e.g. to and from work)?

For example, if you are going to skate indoors in general public sessions, a pair of speed skates will be too fast and you'll be kicked off the floor (assuming you are putting some real effort into it).
Curious Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:31 AM   #3
Acefighter246

there is an extremely large park i was going to use so i was thinking something something Multi-Terrain because i like to explore and this place has dirt trails
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:37 AM   #4
gem
Keep dem wheels moving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acefighter246 View Post
there is an extremely large park i was going to use so i was thinking something something Multi-Terrain because i like to explore and this place has dirt trails
Well now, this is a whole different matter, Maybe them urban skates would be better suited for ya.

http://www.skates.com/urban-off-road-skates-s/84.htm
gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:43 AM   #5
Acidedge

If you want to ride dirt trails, then you want a bike, not a gimmicky pair of skates.

Curious Cat is right in that, if your goal is to lose weight, then a pair of skates that enable you to "go fast", (i.e. you get more push for less effort) is perhaps not the best choice. I'm thinking regular 25 mile skate tours on a pair of aggressives would perhaps be the way to go?

OK, maybe not. I say go for a decent pair of recreational skates (80-84mm wheels) and get outside rolling on nice smooth surfaces, not dirt trails.
Acidedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:29 PM   #6
BackofthePack
Someone has to be last

They make off road skates.

here are a just a few:

http://www.northernsnowkites.com/GateSkate.html

http://www.terrablades.com/

http://www.crosskate.com/
BackofthePack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:09 PM   #7
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidedge View Post
If you want to ride dirt trails, then you want a bike, not a gimmicky pair of skates.
+1
If you want to go on dirt trails, get a bike.

Get something with a metal frame and 90mm wheels. K2 Moto 90 might be a good start. When you buy replacement wheels, buy something with a sturdy hub.

Skating is great exercise and doesn't pound your joints too much. You'll have a great time.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:34 PM   #8
Acefighter246

well the reason i want to go fast is to ignore the ****** stamina i have and keep going for hours on end
Old February 3rd, 2009, 03:32 AM   #9
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Acefighter246, you will go fast, you will look cool, and you will lose a ton of weight, ....

...if.....

You slow down and start over again. Fast, cool and slim are at least six to eight weeks away, which will be here soon if you start off right.

You need starter skates. Big wheels are hard on your ankles, it's not a balance issue as much as a ankle muscle issue and face it, your ankles are holding up a lot. For a complete new skater, I would stay below 90mm. Recent skating experience 90mm might be fine. Just forget about 100mm for now.

You will lose a half of a shoe size with every 25 - 30 pounds of weight that comes off. So you will need a new skate anyway soon. Why buy something cool, fast and sexy when it will only kill you and will be on Ebay in a few months.

You will last longer than 2-3 skates only if you have full protective gear.
Helmet.
Wrist guards
Knee Pads
Elbow Pads.
That's right, dork it up dude. You WILL fall, no question about it, and at your weight, you will come down hard! The only question is, are you going to get up and continue skating, or is your orthopedist surgeon going to explain to you how sign the surgical consent form with your other hand.

DO NOT SKATE ON ANY SLIGHTEST HILL! Find an indoor rink or an empty parking lot, or tennis court. Practice stopping, again and again and again.

I could go on and on but these are the basics. You only need a $150 or less skate in the begining.

I might have been tough on the way I discribe the beginning but I mean it for your own good, and I want you to succeed. I was too an obese couch potatoe with a knee injury not long ago, so I know what I say.

Good luck, and don't be a stranger.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote