S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old March 30th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #1
aconsola

Default Wheel choice for inlines on rink?

Hi all,
This is my first post here, I am looking for some advice. I have been skating on inlines on and off for about 15 years or so. I had been using a pair of rollerblade lightning TRS skates from 1995is until late last year when they started hurting my feet/ankles(not much padding left) I bought a pair of RB astro-8 skatees at the local sporting goods place as there are no good local places that have any selection of skates.
I have been teaching my 5 year old to skate and she has wanted to go to the local rink. I initially was using my old skates which had hyper fatboy wheels on them. the wheels are at least 10 years old and hard as rocks. They did well on the rink, a little slide on sharp turns. but not bad

The first day on the rink with the new skates I pulled a groin muscle, those things grip like glue, and I was not expecting to turn nearly so fast.

The rink is coated with something, not exactly sure what it is called, but it is blue and grippy. One time I fell, and Stopped dead instantly, no slide, and I've got a nice bright blue stain on the knee of my jeans.

What wheels would be appropriate for an inline skate on this type of surface? I've got 80mm 82a on there now. I assume I want something harder like 90A that will have a little less grip and some give/slide, but I am having a hard time finding such an animal.

Thanks,
-Anthony
aconsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 03:18 AM   #2
gem
Keep dem wheels moving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconsola View Post
Hi all,
This is my first post here, I am looking for some advice. I have been teaching my 5 year old to skate and she has wanted to go to the local rink. I initially was using my old skates which had hyper fatboy wheels on them. the wheels are at least 10 years old and hard as rocks. They did well on the rink, a little slide on sharp turns. but not bad

What wheels would be appropriate for an inline skate on this type of surface? I've got 80mm 82a on there now. I assume I want something harder like 90A that will have a little less grip and some give/slide, but I am having a hard time finding such an animal.

Thanks,
-Anthony
I believe if I waz gonna use inlines indoors I would get a short frame and smaller wheels as only have a very short distance to skate then turn. Sure them 80mm would work but I think gonna put more work into using them in the small circle of indoor. Maybe a 87a might be nice on the hard floors and not too much flex on the turns.
gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 03:47 AM   #3
Curious Cat
Hockey Nut

Gem: 80mm wheels are fine. All the hire skates at our rink run those, and senior hockey skates also use 80mm wheels. We also have speed skating classes there (propper speed skates are used), so Aconsola wont have any problems wearing himself out after an few hours.

FYI, my rink is about 2/3 of the size of an inline hockey rink. So its quite small. I wear a pair of junior hockey skates (68 and 72mm wheels) and only get three good crossovers through the turn anyway. My friend who uses 84mm wheels (rec scates) actually gets more in, but that is a technique issue.

aconsola: I skate on painted concrete as well, but the surface is nothing like what you describe. Unfortunately I cant comment on what durometer <sp> wheel to use.

I did have a bit of a look at some online stores for you. The hardest I have been able to find in 80mm are 84a (outdoor (asphalt) hockey wheels (I did look at rec wheels, but they were softer :/)). All I can suggest is trying different brands of 84a wheels and seeing whether some of them are more slippery than others. Id start with the cheaper wheels as they may slip more than the more expensive brands.

Last edited by Curious Cat; April 1st, 2009 at 12:21 AM.
Curious Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

If you scuff up the wheels by skating outside a bit, that should reduce the amount of grip.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote