S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old February 24th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #21
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Agree w/Blacklace

Hi Both,

The darn problem for a beginner is how to know what to fix
and what to stick it out till later after time on Wheels.
And how to check the frame's set up with the boot.

Most just report stuff and it is hard to know as much as if you were skating with them in their environment, knew and could see them.

We kind of have to expect the manufacturer set up things correct. Yet we could give pointers. Pron-nation or Bad Tracking with Quads is a lot easier to diagnose than with InLines for beginners. Well at least for me.

I don't know if either of you remember an InLiner that was skating on a path that always caused problems for his one skate foot. It was humped towards the middle and his girlfriend guessed the path was part of his problem.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old February 24th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #22
2Luke2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi gabi

Even though he didn't answer my question 'New and Sure' is my guess.

The next question is did his brother buy him all the proper safety equipment?

When I started I never did a Helmet, or the elbow pads, yet many outdoor InLiners would say that was not so smart. Yet hey that was a long long time ago.

P.S. Hey 2Luke2 watch those videos from Evilzzz from the UK. You will find them by going back through my posts and seeing "Thanks Evil"
Sorry I didn't know what the question 'New and Sure' was reffering to lol.

Yes when I bought my skates I bought a helmet, hand/wrist guards, elbow pads, and knee pads. I already bought a 2nd set as the elbow pads don't cover enough of my elbow as I would like them to and I wanted all matching pads lol...

I will look for the videos.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLace View Post
My experience with this was a bit of a chicken and egg thing. My first skates had badly placed frames that caused/promoted pronation. Once I aligned them just right, suddenly I could effectively use the outside edges, at which point I started using them, which itself increased ankle strength, which means that now I could probably cope with somewhat badly alignmed frames. Not that I'd want to of course.

Summary: beginners need proper alignment more than experts do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi Both,

The darn problem for a beginner is how to know what to fix
and what to stick it out till later after time on Wheels.
And how to check the frame's set up with the boot.

Most just report stuff and it is hard to know as much as if you were skating with them in their environment, knew and could see them.

We kind of have to expect the manufacturer set up things correct. Yet we could give pointers. Pron-nation or Bad Tracking with Quads is a lot easier to diagnose than with InLines for beginners. Well at least for me.

I don't know if either of you remember an InLiner that was skating on a path that always caused problems for his one skate foot. It was humped towards the middle and his girlfriend guessed the path was part of his problem.

It was my fault for letting my brother do my research for me. He's always been a thrifty shopper and I know from first hand experience you get what you pay for a lot of the time.

So this is why I'm ordering new skates. When I stand or sit with my skates on my left skate wheels are not straight with the ground like the right ones are. So what I did was take the liner and moved it to the far left of the skate to make my foot sit offset and then I put another sock on to make it tighter. When I did that it straighted up the wheels and it felt much much better. So I actually think the wheels on the left skate aren't on correctly. So I will do what I can to try to return them, but I'm already talking to Stacy and trying to place an order for a pair of Seba Deluxes. I'll let you know how that works out lol.
2Luke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2011, 04:31 AM   #23
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Great Analysis

Hi Again 2Luke2,

'So this is why I'm ordering new skates. When I stand or sit with my skates on my left skate wheels are not straight with the ground like the right ones are. So what I did was take the liner and moved it to the far left of the skate to make my foot sit offset and then I put another sock on to make it tighter. When I did that it straighted up the wheels and it felt much much better. So I actually think the wheels on the left skate aren't on correctly. So I will do what I can to try to return them'

I don't understand the sitting thing since your wheels should be pretty straight without weight on them.

This makes me think you have some body thing going on. How do you walk. Many walk like a duck, or with one foot straight and one foot out. Watch people walk with shoes to see my observations. Gals are worse than guys due to their hips, yet they have cuter feet.

Return them if your analysis tells you, you should, yet I am wondering if this isn't just you and you have to work this body problem. Heck none of us skaters fit perfectly all the time to our skates.

Old February 26th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #24
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Turn them over, Look closely

Hi again 2Luke2,

Turn over your skates and look at the mounting of both skates in relationship to the boot.

I know for Quads if you use DocSk8 and plate mounting as search terms you should find mounting info on a proper mount. A few others like Kennedy and a few more names I don't remember right now. For InLines you can use OnLine Inline or maybe Edward Williams, or even Houston Bill.

Again i still expect YOU, not the skates, yet I have been wrong a few times.

Old February 27th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #25
SmileySk8s

For outdoor skating a 84a or 85a durometer wheel works well. 82a or less and it is going to be smooth, but slower than molasses.

You can get a good deal on closeout skates from last yr. The k2 radical 90 has an adjustable frame and come with star grip 85a wheels. Just keep in mind, the larger a wheel the more it takes to manuever due to the longer frame length. Smaller wheels the easier it is to turn, which make the skates better for urban settings and hockey.
SmileySk8s is offline   Reply With Quote