S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:15 PM   #1
trex

Question A few questions for this newbie

Hello to all,

I have a few questions I am hoping you all can help with, but first let me tell you a little about myself. I am 32 and haven't skated since I was about 15. I skated quads mostly in a rink, but some outdoors also. I started when I was around 4. I don't have a skating rink where I live and I only have a few short months of summer to enjoy here in North Dakota. I have always missed skating, and more than anything, I miss having those big muscular legs! I'd like to start skating again, but I want to learn with inlines instead of quads. The main reason is because I have a teenager that would die if his friends saw me around town in "old roller skates." So, how hard is it to learn how to skate inline after so many years of not skating at all? I did buy a cheap pair of rollerblades from walmart a few months ago, just to try out and it was quite an event! I really thought that I could just jump on any pair of skates and go like I use to- like it was suppose to be like riding a bike! I'd also like to know what kind of skate to buy. When I had quads, I only bought Reidell because I loved how the boots felt and formed to my foot and of course they looked the best! So I do want more of a speed skate- even if I won't be doing much speeding! Do you think there is hope for me? Or should I stick to walking?! By the way, does anything have any opinions about the TOUR GT900 INLINE SPEED SKATES ?

Thanks in advance,

Tammy
trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:10 PM   #2
gem
Keep dem wheels moving!

Thumbs up Welcome Tammy

Tammy,
Sure inline skates should be fine.
Exactly where will skating at? Indoor/outdoor/both?
If outdoor what type of ground(s) will skating on?
As 4, getting used to skating again, maybe some leg weight to build up legs to lift, squate to build up legs for pushing and some jogging to build up lungs all the while out there relearning skating again? Be sure to use pading for (knees, wrist,elbows and head. Sure start out with the skaes have and with time may want to invest in a must better quality skates but 4 more, go with what got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trex View Post
Hello to all,

I have a few questions I am hoping you all can help with, but first let me tell you a little about myself. I am 32 and haven't skated since I was about 15. I skated quads mostly in a rink, but some outdoors also. I started when I was around 4. I don't have a skating rink where I live and I only have a few short months of summer to enjoy here in North Dakota. I have always missed skating, and more than anything, So, how hard is it to learn how to skate inline after so many years of not skating at all? Do you think there is hope for me? MOST DEFINELY, YES ! ! !

By the way, does anything have any opinions about the TOUR GT900 INLINE SPEED SKATES ?

Thanks in advance,

Tammy
gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:18 PM   #3
trex

I will be skating outside on the roads, sidewalks, and in the parks. I just read another thread about the Tour GT 900 being junk and painful. So now I have no idea which kind of skate to look at.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:30 PM   #4
gem
Keep dem wheels moving!

Thumbs up

Tam, I'm a sidewalk surfer and street, parking lots, trails(basicly paved).
I find a larger wheel, say 100mm much better for getting around and those lil thangs like twigs that seem like logs as sometimes hit them, as well as ruts, holes and other obstructions come accross. Now being a FNG, yor legs aren't up to strength at this time but in the future as progress can get a much better of skates with the larger wheels. Don't worry, As get 2 know people and see what is out there, surely will get more ideas of what like.
Quote:
I will be skating outside on the roads, sidewalks, and in the parks. I just read another thread about the Tour GT 900 being junk and painful. So now I have no idea which kind of skate to look at.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 10:32 PM   #5
ind_sliding

Tammy,

Since you are basically starting again, you may want to start with a decent fitness skate, like a K2 Alexis. You can change it to all 84mm wheels later and it has a brake. Since you say you do want more of a speed skate you could look at a Bont Alpha or Semi-race. It has a higher cuff than a normal speed skate so you will have some lateral suppport for your ankles. I think a brake can be added to these if you want. It comes down to how much do you want to spend.

I have never been on quads so I have nothing to compare with. I have seen roller derby girls try inline speed boots. They have some issues with lateral support and skated on inside edges. They get use to inlines relatively quickly, but they have been skating.

There is nothing wrong with starting in a fitness skate. If you find skating is not for you, you are not out much money. I would say $100-$150 would be a good starter skate. Those $40 Walmart specials will not make your skating enjoyable.
ind_sliding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 11:24 PM   #6
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

+1 on getting skates in the $100-$150 range. Something I posted a while back for newbies. DO NOT EVEN THINK OF GETTING A 100MM SETUP.

"Go online to inlinewarehouse.com or skates.com and look for recreational inline skates.

I am personally a RB ("Rollerblade", you might see "RB" posted on the forum, now you know what it means) person but K2 is very similar. If you have no skating experience whatsoever, go with the cheaper ones that have smaller wheels (76, or 78 mm), but if you have some skating experience, and want to persevere with this endeavor, I would get the better ones with the 80mm wheels. Also I would take in mind, that if you lost a lot of weight, I would think that your ankle muscles may be a little stronger than average, due to holding up more weight in the past. I dont know this as a fact, but it sounds reasonable to me.

Ignore the ratings on the bearing, they mean nothing to you at this stage. Also the hardness of the wheel rating is of no consequence for a beginner.

I would choose a skate the you like and order it in he size you think would fit you, plus a half of a size smaller. A good snug fitting boot is more important than, wheels, frames, snd/or bearings, as long as it doesn't squash you foot bad enough to cause pain. You should try them on, and just sit around on a couch for 10 15 minutes, (no need to stand on them) and see if they feel okay and not causing pain from being to tight, or the other way around, they are too loose that the heel of your foot can move up and down, if you pick up your skate.

When trying on the skates, do it on carpet, so as not to put any scuff marks on the wheels. This is critical! If you try them on a hard surface, it will show on the wheels, and THEY WILL BE DEEMED USED AND RENDERED UN-RETURNABLE.

Next item on the list. Protective equipment. To me, helmet and wrist guards are mandatory, knee and elbow pads, just plain old common sense. If you are trying to save the $30, you are wasting you money because the first fall, (usually within the first few hours of skating) might cost you a $30 doctor copay anyway, and then you will be left with nothing. Wal-Mart has bike helmets for as little as $10 - $15 dollars. This was good for me until the weather got real hot and I was skating hard, day after day, for at least an hour. So I got a great helmet at PerformanceBike.com for under $50 that keeps me cool. Better helmets for woman, are made with a larger vent hole in the rear for the pony tail to hang out.

The first few times out on skates can be a little scary. It takes a lot of practice in an awkward position to be able to learn how to use the rear brake on an inline skate. Ironically, a new brake with more rubber left on it, is harder to stop on, even for the experienced user. So it is imperative, that a beginner find a flat area only, for the first few times out. I mean dead flat. You will be amazed how fast you can pick up speed on the slightest of hills, and by the time you realize it, your in trouble. Parking lots are great. Enclosed tennis and basketball courts come to mind. Having grassy areas next to you practice areas come in handy if you need to bail out and stop. It also is useful to practice just walking around on in your skates, while getting used to the feeling of things.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 05:33 AM   #7
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

The Tours are painful and don't have good ankle support... stay far away from them! If you like speed-style skates, check out the Bont Semi-race. I've heard really good things about them.
The higher-end rec skates are a great place to start also.
Live2sk888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:03 AM   #8
xlracer

You might want to consider something like this. It will give you the support that you may need while learning to skate on inlines and also this skate is high performance and your teenager may actually approve of them.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:25 PM   #9
trex

Thank you for all your help!

What do you think of these?
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage-RBS2W.html

Or these?
http://www.skates.com/Roller-Derby-Aerial-p/i-338.htm

If I buy a pair with a higher boot, will my ankles get stronger so that I can purchase a low boot later? Or will I always need the same support if I start out using it?
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:41 PM   #10
gem
Keep dem wheels moving!

Thumbs up Stronger ankles

Trex, both pairs should be a gud starter skate.
As for stronger ankles, basicly doing inline surfing in itself will strenghten yor ankles.
Quote:
Thank you for all your help!

What do you think of these?
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage-RBS2W.html

Or these?
http://www.skates.com/Roller-Derby-Aerial-p/i-338.htm

If I buy a pair with a higher boot, will my ankles get stronger so that I can purchase a low boot later? Or will I always need the same support if I start out using it?
Old July 3rd, 2008, 04:56 PM   #11
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Quote:
What do you think of these?.....If I buy a pair with a higher boot, will my ankles get stronger so that I can purchase a low boot later? Or will I always need the same support if I start out using it?
I bought the Spiritblade for my daughter and it is a good begginer skate for the price. You will be strenthening your ankles even with a higher cut boot. If you get bitten by the skating bug and want to become a speedskater, you wil buy a low cut boot at a later date. If you tried it now, you might fail to ever use them. As your ankles get stronger you won't have to lace the top of the boot as tight.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote