S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2016, 09:16 PM   #17541
Joey
Senior Member
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA
Posts: 666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
Been working purely on tricks. Like this one.
https://youtu.be/-VrxGHnEkCg

Everyday.
Today was five days straight. 90.6 miles all on the new Powerslide EVOs. Gotta work tomorrow but should wrap up 100+ miles before the end of the week.

No tricks other than skating 90 miles without falling.

EDIT 02-11-2016:

Got my hundred with one day to spare!



I have the day off tomorrow so any miles I skate will just be gravy! Weather will be perfect too.

EDIT 02-12-2016:

Skated an 18 mile loop around New Orleans on streets and sidewalks, bike lanes, etc. plus some bonus miles in two different parks.

Here is the map:



And here is my STRAVA info for the past 7 days:



It has been many years since I logged this kind of mileage on inline skates. Getting 7 nice weather days in a row really helped.
__________________
2 Inline Skates, 1 Quad Skates, 4 Longboards, 3 Bicycles, 0 Cars

Last edited by Joey; February 14th, 2016 at 04:46 PM.
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 03:06 PM   #17542
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman
 
Foot2big's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 7,428
Default

Good job Joey! That's a lot of skating.

I've been at it daily, still. Only missed once this month, and twice this year so far.
__________________
An early-morning skate is a blessing for the whole day.
Henry David Foot2big Thoreau
Foot2big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 12:56 AM   #17543
Joey
Senior Member
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA
Posts: 666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
I've been at it daily, still. Only missed once this month, and twice this year so far.
Can't make it a daily thing but when I get out I am going for big miles now as the weather has been great. 200 miles so far this month. 30 yesterday and 30 more today. Skates are now perfect.



I am conditioning myself to skate 58 miles on my 58th birthday in April. 30 miles is now a cakewalk. 20 years ago I skated 58 miles with a friend of mine for her 58th birthday on the Santa Anna River Trail in Southern California. In her honor I am going to skate that again but on the Tammany Trace in Louisiana. Skated 30 miles 2 days in a row with no issues so I think I will be good to go easily.
__________________
2 Inline Skates, 1 Quad Skates, 4 Longboards, 3 Bicycles, 0 Cars
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 09:06 PM   #17544
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman
 
Foot2big's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 7,428
Default

Awesome Joey! Sounds like you shouldn't have a problem. Just stay at it. Hell, by your 59th birthday you might decide to skate 159 miles. (it's been done, here in this thread even. Many times. Some of the old greats used to do hundreds of miles at a time. )

I took yesterday off. It rained all day and my back hurt.
Back in it today, been to two skateparks already, with a home park finisher scheduled for tonite.
__________________
An early-morning skate is a blessing for the whole day.
Henry David Foot2big Thoreau
Foot2big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 01:51 AM   #17545
Joey
Senior Member
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA
Posts: 666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
...by your 59th birthday you might decide to skate 159 miles. (it's been done, here in this thread even. Many times. Some of the old greats used to do hundreds of miles at a time. )
I would be willing to bet that when I was in my 30s playing inline hockey on the big parking lots at the beach in Santa Monica that I likely skated 100 miles in a day on rockered hockey skates! I was speed skating at that time too but 60 miles was about all I wanted. Hockey just melted the hours and miles away without even thinking about skating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
I took yesterday off. It rained all day and my back hurt.
Back in it today, been to two skateparks already, with a home park finisher scheduled for tonite.
You are a driven man fo sho. Keeps me skating all I can to not feel shame.
__________________
2 Inline Skates, 1 Quad Skates, 4 Longboards, 3 Bicycles, 0 Cars
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 08:57 PM   #17546
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman
 
Foot2big's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 7,428
Default

hahah! Keep at it!

Got an hour and 20 in and will probably hit the home ramp tonite.

Dirtbike tomorrow!
__________________
An early-morning skate is a blessing for the whole day.
Henry David Foot2big Thoreau
Foot2big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2016, 12:43 AM   #17547
Joey
Senior Member
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA
Posts: 666
Default

Broke the 1000 mile threshold since acquiring my Lezyne Mini GPS last summer. And I skated ZERO miles this past November due to injury, weather, and a local festival ruining my main skating area for over 6 weeks. Also keep in mind that I did not use the GPS for every skate in 2015 but I am in the habit of using it this year.

__________________
2 Inline Skates, 1 Quad Skates, 4 Longboards, 3 Bicycles, 0 Cars
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2016, 02:15 AM   #17548
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman
 
Foot2big's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 7,428
Default

1000 mile! Woo hoo!

Got my dirtbike fix this weekend, and skated twice yesterday.
Went today for leap day!
https://youtu.be/a6bmq63MAfs

The tricks are all coming together! That's my best video to date.
__________________
An early-morning skate is a blessing for the whole day.
Henry David Foot2big Thoreau
Foot2big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2016, 04:04 AM   #17549
Joey
Senior Member
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA
Posts: 666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
The tricks are all coming together! That's my best video to date.
Your transitions are getting really smooth too! I am jealous of you having that facility available and all to yourself. So much more fun than a treadmill at the gym.

My local park just paved two new parking lots, and I think that the big one will be closed during weekdays because a local community college will fill it with cars all day (the park lot would be free, the community college requires parking permits for $$$). Tomorrow I am going to check it out on the way to work and if it is truly locked.....I will have a great place to set up some slalom cones! Virgin asphalt! (well, I did skate it the very day they finished laying it and cleaning away construction debris).

EDIT: The new parking lot is open to the public, however, not a single car was parked in there. Since the park needed an overflow lot it isn't really close to the main park attractions or the community college. Thankfully, most people are too lazy to walk an extra hundred feet from their cars to their destination. So.....maybe the lot is a GO! I was hoping it would be gated so no one can drive through and roll over my cones.
__________________
2 Inline Skates, 1 Quad Skates, 4 Longboards, 3 Bicycles, 0 Cars

Last edited by Joey; March 1st, 2016 at 04:27 PM.
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 03:07 AM   #17550
okcskater
Still rollin' @ 57
 
okcskater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 171
Default

Looking good, F2B. Haven't stuck my head in here much lately. They re-asphalted our neighborhood recently, so been out on the streets with my kiddos. A bit smoother than the bike path at the river.
Once around the block is about a half mile. Long slow uphill, then coast down and around again. Trying to build up some stamina. Funny, skating the streets is a lot harder than I first thought, but it is great exercise. Working on 4 laps (2 miles) then will go up as the evenings get longer. Maybe I will catch you at the park again some time.
__________________
Paul
____________
Success is failure upon failure with great enthusiasm. Theodore Roosevelt
okcskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 06:24 AM   #17551
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman
 
Foot2big's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 7,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcskater View Post
Looking good, F2B. Haven't stuck my head in here much lately. They re-asphalted our neighborhood recently, so been out on the streets with my kiddos. A bit smoother than the bike path at the river.
Once around the block is about a half mile. Long slow uphill, then coast down and around again. Trying to build up some stamina. Funny, skating the streets is a lot harder than I first thought, but it is great exercise. Working on 4 laps (2 miles) then will go up as the evenings get longer. Maybe I will catch you at the park again some time.
Thanks Paul! I was wondering what happened to ya!

Hope to catch you some day bro. KEEP ROLLING!
__________________
An early-morning skate is a blessing for the whole day.
Henry David Foot2big Thoreau
Foot2big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 06:38 AM   #17552
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman
 
Foot2big's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 7,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Your transitions are getting really smooth too! I am jealous of you having that facility available and all to yourself. So much more fun than a treadmill at the gym.

My local park just paved two new parking lots, and I think that the big one will be closed during weekdays because a local community college will fill it with cars all day (the park lot would be free, the community college requires parking permits for $$$). Tomorrow I am going to check it out on the way to work and if it is truly locked.....I will have a great place to set up some slalom cones! Virgin asphalt! (well, I did skate it the very day they finished laying it and cleaning away construction debris).

EDIT: The new parking lot is open to the public, however, not a single car was parked in there. Since the park needed an overflow lot it isn't really close to the main park attractions or the community college. Thankfully, most people are too lazy to walk an extra hundred feet from their cars to their destination. So.....maybe the lot is a GO! I was hoping it would be gated so no one can drive through and roll over my cones.
Thanks Joey!

Got my new trick for the day. It cost a little tho.
https://youtu.be/0czyIe9FYP8
__________________
An early-morning skate is a blessing for the whole day.
Henry David Foot2big Thoreau
Foot2big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2016, 11:40 PM   #17553
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman
 
Foot2big's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 7,428
Default

Suffering thru some injuries, nothing major. Missed yesterday.
Made up for it today. One hour at the outdoor spot.
__________________
An early-morning skate is a blessing for the whole day.
Henry David Foot2big Thoreau
Foot2big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 01:52 AM   #17554
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman
 
Foot2big's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 7,428
Default

steady daily rolling............
__________________
An early-morning skate is a blessing for the whole day.
Henry David Foot2big Thoreau
Foot2big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 03:28 AM   #17555
Joey
Senior Member
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA
Posts: 666
Default

Weather has been KILLING me for March so far. 10 hours, 105 miles and the month is half over.

The time change will help but the crowds are thickening on the fitness paths and almost no one abides by the rules. I looked like an Olympic downhill skier carving around the gates most of the day. Startled a few folks pretty good, had one dog (doberman) lunge at me (on a leash) and got some plastic from my wristguard against his noggin. Owner said "Sorry...he doesn't like skates" and I said "Wow...perfect place to take him!"

On a happy note, the "new" Powerslide EVO skates (purchased August 2015) are completely broken in and wonderful! I can skate all day in them with little or no extra padding - just socks! Yippee!
__________________
2 Inline Skates, 1 Quad Skates, 4 Longboards, 3 Bicycles, 0 Cars
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 03:47 AM   #17556
Joey
Senior Member
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA
Posts: 666
Default

This is what happens when you DON'T SKATE!



You have to dream up all sorts of strange fitness ideas to keep in shape. I feel sorry for people who don't skate really. (When I'm not giggling at them)
__________________
2 Inline Skates, 1 Quad Skates, 4 Longboards, 3 Bicycles, 0 Cars
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 04:38 PM   #17557
okcskater
Still rollin' @ 57
 
okcskater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 171
Default

Been hitting the neighborhood. A couple of miles at a time up and down the streets. Went out last night and tested the equipment, dam it! Stepped off the porch as usual and went down flat. Thank goodness for the bum saver and helmet. Took off the gear and decided I had enough exercise for the night Not too stiff today, so...........all good.
__________________
Paul
____________
Success is failure upon failure with great enthusiasm. Theodore Roosevelt
okcskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 06:23 PM   #17558
Joey
Senior Member
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA
Posts: 666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcskater View Post
...Stepped off the porch as usual and went down flat...
That sucks.

Ironically, I can skate an entire 18 mile loop around New Orleans, in traffic, up and down curbs, jump potholes and expansion joints, dodge pedestrians (meat pylons), roll over sticks, rocks, cracks, oil, wet leaves, dogs, cats, whatever.....but the biggest hurdle is getting down my front porch on skates! I can run UP those steps on skates all day long, but DOWN!!

I feel your pain man. I have not eaten $h!t there just yet.....

Hope you're OK.
__________________
2 Inline Skates, 1 Quad Skates, 4 Longboards, 3 Bicycles, 0 Cars
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 08:47 PM   #17559
okcskater
Still rollin' @ 57
 
okcskater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
That sucks.

Ironically, I can skate an entire 18 mile loop around New Orleans, in traffic, up and down curbs, jump potholes and expansion joints, dodge pedestrians (meat pylons), roll over sticks, rocks, cracks, oil, wet leaves, dogs, cats, whatever.....but the biggest hurdle is getting down my front porch on skates! I can run UP those steps on skates all day long, but DOWN!!

I feel your pain man. I have not eaten $h!t there just yet.....

Hope you're OK.
Pretty good, thanks. A bit tender on the right cheek area and groin muscle, but nothing more than a light limp I expected to be quite a bit more sore than I am, so hopefully the worst and back on wheels again in a day or two(mostly due to time restraints!). Ironically both times I have fallen in the last year, were times I was almost standing still!
__________________
Paul
____________
Success is failure upon failure with great enthusiasm. Theodore Roosevelt
okcskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 03:09 AM   #17560
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman
 
Foot2big's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 7,428
Default

Dang man, hope y'all right! I can't tell you how many times I was just standing there minding my own business and WHAM right on the a55.

I only fell 3 times today. Twice from the 6' ramp, and once at home off my 2' box. Busted the old arse pretty good yesterday on the outdoor concrete park's bowl section. And again over on the street course. I'm getting pretty good at grinding, but I'm getting VERY good at falling.
__________________
An early-morning skate is a blessing for the whole day.
Henry David Foot2big Thoreau
Foot2big is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.