S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old August 28th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #221
speedysktr
President of Everything

We'll still be there I'm sure.

I'm using Star grips right now, looking into the PC-vanes.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #222
Code Monkey

Where do you get PC-Vanes?

Do you use the White or translucent wheels?
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #223
Pepper Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
[B]
OMG, my legs are on FIRE this morning!
I swear by the glutamine powder. (Thanks, Codemonkey) Recovery is so much easier. Have you tried it?
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #224
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morgan View Post

Nice pictures, Mark.
Thanks! It's all in a days work.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 06:07 PM   #225
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
alrighty, then. I guess we suck.
Face it, dmorg, it's all been a big lie,
who are we kidding?
I'm sick of skating, it's so stupid. I quit.

God, I hate myself.
So, maybe the 'Hokey Pokey' is what it is about...
Old August 28th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #226
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Aug 28
Where: The lumpy side of Seahawk stadium parking lot
What: drills
Conditions: real nice, but bumpy

I started in on my 25 minutes of drills but I lasted for 12.5 minutes as I was in the bad part of the parking lot. The good part (no seal coat, nice asphalt) is being taken up for a car makers demo. I'll try asking tomorrow morning if I can skate on the track they've drawn up.

I think my drill work is paying off as yesterday at the MS skate a skate instructor who was making sure that the kids in the 5K were not killing the users of the trail commented that I had a very nice and clean form and stroke.
Old August 28th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #227
Code Monkey

Great news Dave Morgan! I don't know how the Nitric Oxide mixture worked for you but don't quit it. The most exciting results happen after six to nine months of continuous use. The other good news will be later on in life.

Also don't forget to eat lots of fruits and veggies. It is very easy to let these go but it all works together so when you have a moment eat an apple or orange. Also if you don't eat fish very much, take a fish oil capsule at least every other day.

Yes I have a before workout drink which is the Nitric Oxide mixture and then one after which is the l-glutamine mixture. The one after also consists of a protein powder and many different fruits.

Keep it up Dave and don't stop even if you level off or do worse. Now these are not things I came up with but things I have been instructed to do by cardiovascular researchers and sports medicine doctors as part of a study. The things work. Last Saturday I skated fifty miles and Sunday I skated an easy ten. This morning my regular twelve.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #228
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
Where do you get PC-Vanes?

Do you use the White or translucent wheels?
For a U.s. distributor, it's just getting off the ground-> a guy on RRN is getting a connection together.You can also try the manufacturer in germany. OI, looks like you are sporting a set where'd you get yours?

I'm using the 85a Star grips with the chrome hub and mini bearings with the sleeves.

Mark, I'm in a funny place right now and I just might go carnival freak show crazy.
Old August 28th, 2006, 09:56 PM   #229
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
For a U.s. distributor, it's just getting off the ground-> a guy on RRN is getting a connection together.You can also try the manufacturer in germany. OI, looks like you are sporting a set where'd you get yours?

I'm using the 85a Star grips with the chrome hub and mini bearings with the sleeves.

Mark, I'm in a funny place right now and I just might go carnival freak show crazy.
There is a guy out (O-I's dealer) here who is going to become PC Vane USA so supplies will just be a hop skip and a jump away.

Hmm... wheels as crack...

So Speedy, since you are not in Texas and are not born with a gun/rifle in hand it should be fairly safe... Not!
Old August 29th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #230
online inline

You guys are a real hoot!
The guy i get the PC-Vanes from is setting up the whole distributorship thing here in the states. If i understand correctly, folks who want the wheels can place the order directly on the PC-Vane website, and my friend facilitates delivery here in the states.

I will get the full scoop tomorrow and let you know. I talk to the guy several times a day and skate with him at least twice a week. We mostly talk about classic literature and greek mythology, but i will make a point of bringing up the topic of his new skate business for your sake, Speedy, and get back to you.

Anyway, i got to warn you that these wheels are not cheap...

They are a great wheel. I'm really indebted to my friend for turning me on to 110 frames and this brand of wheels.

Thanks for the comment about my time. What matters to me even more than the clock time was the fact that i got to skate with a pack of 8 elite speed skaters, people i look up to and admire. I never thought i would skate in their paceline, and i certainly never thought i would be pulling them. But i did, and i reached a milestone. No complaints.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #231
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
What matters to me even more than the clock time was the fact that i got to skate with a pack of 8 elite speed skaters, people i look up to and admire. I never thought i would skate in their paceline, and i certainly never thought i would be pulling them. But i did, and i reached a milestone. No complaints.
Awesome insight. It's the little victories that keep us regular joes in the game. Those can come any time you're out there for the battlefield isn't the race, it's in your mind. You've worked hard to get there, now it's time to accept the fact that you belong there. It can be a struggle and you may straddle the line for awhile, but if you don't believe in yourself, you'll always straddle the line and slip backwards more than forwards. It's a commitment to yourself and the vision you have of yourself.
Old August 29th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #232
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
They were "Dora" shaped spaghetti Os, thank you very much. Jibs, where's the skate report? I still have connections down there, you know. I understand Napalm was on fire yesterday. Jess, what's the word girlie?
Stuck in the midst of a six out of seven day work cycle, skating has lagged. One more shift to complete and we'll be back on track. Napalm and I did get out to a new spot for us, hilly development with an interesting layout. I plotted a sector with three decreasing radius circles that added up to eight miles, it along with the original scouting mission on skates gave us an almost 13 mile total.
Aug 21, Tues pm & Aug 22, Wed am: Citrus Springs, me & Napalm 5/80 & 4/88. 12 miles in 54:35 for an average mile of 4:33, average speed 13mph, max speed 26.4mph. Best mile 3:57 @ 15.2mph, worst mile 5:25 @ 11.1mph. Average HR 150/max 170. 7 miles in 32:06. Nothing impressive, just a different hill run.
Then I wound up with a Friday night off so I could make an am skate with the big boys. Got up at 5:15 and made it to the Suncoast parkway by 7am, trail was wet and nobody else was there. Turned out they all went to the West Orange Trail, so we moved on eastward. 162 miles, 3 hours later, we hook up wit' da' crew for 27 miles on the West Orange Trail. I'm still not sure if I was even there. I think my wife dissed me.
Aug 26, Saturday: West Orange Trail, me, Nay, Jess, Buzz, John J., Luke, Lenny, Brandi.....I think that's it. I don't know what they did, I was social skating a few miles behind, herewith my results.
26.85 miles in 1:57:06 (call it 26 in 1:52:59), for an average mile of 4:18, average speed 13.8mph, max speed 23.1mph. Best mile 3:23 @ 17.7mph, worst mile 5:36 @ 10.7mph. No HR monitoring. 7 miles in 27:13, 1/2 marathon in 55:01, marathon in 1:53:47. I really should have had the Garmin on Napalm, she was on fire. Suffice it to say she finished and turned back to get me. About those T shirts Kathie, maybe "pink" would be a good color. JB

Last edited by Jon B.; August 29th, 2006 at 06:42 PM.
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #233
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

8/26 NYC 100K 5 hours, 5 minutes or so. Finished, but not in time for when they started drawing race numbers for the freebies. That's OK, I wanted the finisher pin more than a Transpack anyways. Started out in heavy rain. I knew about that hill on the course that we would have to climb 19 times. I didn't know they would cover it in wet leaves for us. Also part of the course was flooded, but it drained by my lap 15 or so. I think the pros had to deal with it for their whole race.

This picture was taken at 90 K or so. Doesn't it look fun?
I am still finding blisters from having wet feet in skates for 5 1/2 hours.

8/27 Walking tour of NYC. Roughly 5-10 miles of walking, followed immediately by a 5 hr car ride home.

8/28 1 hr bike ride for recovery. Left the HRM and GPS at home.

Next "stop", Athens.

Dev Gnoll
Dev Gnoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #234
gbo
once faster than a wocket

o/i wrote
Quote:
We mostly talk about classic literature and greek mythology,...
its that dry humor again. methinks that o/i finds roman mythology and economic theory of far more interest.

that isnt a bad time for someone pushing 100 yrs. you'd think they'd have a a special award for that. oh well maybe next year....

geri

and i'm hoping i havent put my foot in my mouth too bad
gbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #235
gbo

dev gnoll, congrats. wondered when you were going to update us. which one are you in the picture?
Old August 29th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #236
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbo View Post
dev gnoll, congrats. wondered when you were going to update us. which one are you in the picture?
WORD !!!!!
Old August 29th, 2006, 04:24 PM   #237
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Where: Seattle waterfront, Myrtle Edwards park, Pier 91 trail
What: skate to skate
Conditions: Overcast with the occasional drop, 55F, 9MPH, wet w/ leaves

9.05 miles in 50:37 for an average of 10.7. Max speed 19.7. Max HR 191. Avg HR 149. Worst mile 7:14/8.3. Best 4:46/12.6. If we discount the 7:14 mile all the others were sub 6 minute which would have made this the fast time I'd have done down town. But there were a lot of pesky pedestrians and stupid drivers this morning and a stupid cyclist who thought he could beat a bus across an intersections he had to bail, and it was all his fault. It felt like a real struggle out there. I felt like I was grinding to a halt and not getting any glide/roll...
Old August 29th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #238
online inline

Quote:
o/i wrote

its that dry humor again. methinks that o/i finds roman mythology and economic theory of far more interest.

that isnt a bad time for someone pushing 100 yrs. you'd think they'd have a a special award for that. oh well maybe next year....

geri

and i'm hoping i havent put my foot in my mouth too bad
they do have awards by age division at most races, but not htis one. But even if they did, there's a guy 3 years younger in my div. that beat me, so what can you do?

As for age- it is not nearly the factor that you think. The winner of last years (nearby) Spokane marathon was about 47, and the guy who beat me this year at the MS in my age div. is 45, and was only of fthe winning time by a couple /three seconds. I was off by 30 seconds. The winner of both these marathons this year, the same guy, is all of 20 years old. And i personally know very competitive speed skaters that mix it up well into their sixth decade (including a teammate who usually drafts me every stride on out training runs, no matter how hard i'm pulling), and i'm sure they go even longer, i just don't know them.

This is great news for all of us. Keep skating, keep progressing, keep improving your fitness, pefect your technique - you will reap the benefits for years and years and years, and probably even offset the detracting element of getting older. Not to mention, that a passion like this, and training at this level keep you young and youthful, no?

So what's the point? Us old farts can hang with the best of them. When it comes down to the last wheel length, we often take a back seat, but so be it. We are in the race to the end, we are experiencing the action, and we influence the outcome in a very real sense.

Eddie Matzger is no spring chicken, yet places in the top ten or twelve of every race he enters, and he's an unbelievable 37 years old last time the topic came up. Go ahead- tell me one other endurance/speed sport that can pit the vets against the young bucks in the same pack. Again, we may not be ascending the podium, but we aren't bowing at the altar either.

No nurse, i won't be taking my Geritol today, and that's a particularly lovely blouse you're wearing....

See ya's at the finish line.
Old August 29th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #239
gbo

to quote speedy,

WORD!!!!!!

as ever, eloquently put (except for the nurse part)

gbo
Old August 29th, 2006, 05:55 PM   #240
online inline

Quote:

as ever, eloquently put (except for the nurse part)
part of me never grew up. thanks. It's all in fun, and glad i have likeminded athletes to share it with.