S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Hockey and Other Roller Games
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hockey and Other Roller Games Discussions about hockey played on inline skates, quad roller skates, and ice skates. Also includes discussions about other games played on skates such as roller basketball and rollersoccer.

Old May 5th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #1
rm41400

Default Quads or Inlines for indoor Hockey?

I just started playing rink hockey. All the guys that play are using inlines. I have some nice quad skates that I am fairly proficient on. Is there an advantage to using inlines over quads? I have agressive inline skates but I am probably slightly less proficent on the inlines. I was trying to decide if I shuold look into Hockey inline skates in the future.

Thanks!
rm41400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #2
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm41400 View Post
I just started playing rink hockey. All the guys that play are using inlines. I have some nice quad skates that I am fairly proficient on. Is there an advantage to using inlines over quads? I have agressive inline skates but I am probably slightly less proficent on the inlines. I was trying to decide if I shuold look into Hockey inline skates in the future.

Thanks!
i feel inlines are best suited for hockey on non-ice floors..but thats from me playing ice hockey for the better part of a decade, and having off seasons indoors on rinks..
elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #3
peter

Quads every time. But I am biassed. I see a lot of kids on inlines to begin with, then most switch to quads. The ones on inlines look better at the start and can skat efasterthan quaddies, but they do get left behind in terms of skills as the quadies improve.

Unless there is some rule about not wearing quads, I'd go for what suits you best
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #4
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter View Post
Quads every time. But I am biassed. I see a lot of kids on inlines to begin with, then most switch to quads. The ones on inlines look better at the start and can skat efasterthan quaddies, but they do get left behind in terms of skills as the quadies improve.

Unless there is some rule about not wearing quads, I'd go for what suits you best

anyone can get left behind as skills improve. hard work is what it takes to get better.
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #5
rhetttro
Owner, Pop's Skateland

Quote:

Maybe I'm just a purest but Quads for rink hockey. I've never seen anyone on inlines be able to hang with the moves of a quad skater playing the short stick.
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:55 PM   #6
TimeKeeper_CYMRU
John

Default Quads or Inlines for indoor Hockey?

Quote:

Thanks!
Hi RM41400

It would appear from your post that you have only recently become involved in roller hockey, so it may well be too early to look too far into the future, but if in the longer term you aspire to represent your country playing one of the FIRS hockey codes then you might wish to consider the following:
Rink Hockey
The International Governing Body for Rink Hockey is Comité International de Rink Hockey website.
From the CIRH Rules of the Game:
CHAPTER I
The game of Rink-Hockey – Definition and scope
ARTICLE 1
(The game of rink-hockey)
1. The game of rink-hockey is played on a rectangular rink with a level and smooth surface, between two teams of 5 (five) players each – one of which is the goalkeeper.
The players must wear four-wheeled quad skates, and use a stick to play the ball.
I have been asked to provide the source details for the above document, it is:
http://www.inf.fh-dortmund.de/rollho...8_30_01_09.pdf (see page 3)

Inline Hockey
The International Governing Body for Inline Hockey is Comité International de Roller Inline Hockey. website

From the CIRILH Rules of the Game:
PART II - GENERAL GAME REGULATIONS
1. Eligibility of Teams and Players
A. The World Inline Roller Hockey Championships are open to the National Teams of all the National Federations affiliated with the FIRS, provided that they confirm their entry prior to the closing date for entries laid down by the CIRILH and forward payment of appropriate entry fees. (See Part III,
Article 1 of Org. Rules)
B. Players should normally be of the same nationality as the team for which they are playing and have a valid passport from the country represented.
C. All players must wear in-line roller skates (see Rule Sixteen), and the game will be played with a puck (See Rule Twenty). For required player protective equipment, consult Rule Eighteen
http://www.worldinlinehockey.org/ima...part_1_2_3.pdf (see page 4)
As you say it is Rink Hockey that you have become involved with, it follows that in the longer term you perhaps ought to be looking towards becoming proficient on 'Quad' skates.

However, as it is not shown in the left-hand panel what country you are resident in, it might be appropriate for you to look to any easements that your country's National Governing Body might have made in respect of the type of roller skates to be worn when playing Rink Hockey in the domestic environment of your particular country.

Regards, John
South West Wales, UK.
http://www.brsf.co.uk

Last edited by TimeKeeper_CYMRU; May 7th, 2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: 07 May 2010 - To provide additional Clarity
TimeKeeper_CYMRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #7
peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKeeper_CYMRU View Post
ARTICLE 1
1. The game of rink-hockey ... The players must wear four-wheeled quad skates, and use a stick to play the ball.
John - do you know where this bit came from? Is it a literal translation from Portuguese, Spanish or whatever, or is it a sop to a senior official who hates inlines
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #8
TimeKeeper_CYMRU
John

Default Document Sources

Quote:
John - do you know where this bit came from? Is it a literal translation from Portuguese, Spanish or whatever, or is it a sop to a senior official who hates inlines
Hi Peter

As my post of 22:55 06/05 is still open for editing I have placed the document sources into the original post.

Have you seen the new CIRH website at http://www.cirh.net ?

It's so new????? that a lot of the links don't appear to be working correctly (yet).

John,
South West Wales, UK.
TimeKeeper_CYMRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #9
rm41400

Smile

Thanks all for the responses!

I strongly prefer quads but I was wondering if I was at a disadvantage on them.

I personally feel I will have a stronge advantage once I get use ( I am accustomed to old school Nascar style skating lol) to the stop and go tempo and ball handiling.The inliners dont seem to have any speed advantage in my situation because the rink is on the small side. The only minor advantage I noticed was their ability to effectively stop the ball with their skate.

Nobody that I play with seems to mind whether I am on Quads or inlines.
They all just ask why I dont get inlines like the rest of them. Which made me wonder...
Old May 7th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #10
rm41400

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKeeper_CYMRU View Post
Hi RM41400

It would appear from your post that you have only recently become involved in roller hockey, so it may well be too early to look too far into the future, but if in the longer term you aspire to represent your country playing one of the FIRS hockey codes then you might wish to consider the following:
Rink Hockey
The International Governing Body for Rink Hockey is Comité International de Rink Hockey website.
From the CIRH Rules of the Game:
CHAPTER I
ARTICLE 1
1. The game of rink-hockey is played on a rectangular rink with a level and smooth surface, between two teams of 5 (five) players each – one of which is the goalkeeper.
The players must wear four-wheeled quad skates, and use a stick to play the ball.
http://www.inf.fh-dortmund.de/rollho...8_30_01_09.pdf (see page 3)

Inline Hockey
The International Governing Body for Inline Hockey is Comité International de Roller Inline Hockey. website

From the CIRILH Rules of the Game:
PART II - GENERAL GAME REGULATIONS
1. Eligibility of Teams and Players
A. The World Inline Roller Hockey Championships are open to the National Teams of all the National Federations affiliated with the FIRS, provided that they confirm their entry prior to the closing date for entries laid down by the CIRILH and forward payment of appropriate entry fees. (See Part III,
Article 1 of Org. Rules)
B. Players should normally be of the same nationality as the team for which they are playing and have a valid passport from the country represented.
C. All players must wear in-line roller skates (see Rule Sixteen), and the game will be played with a puck (See Rule Twenty). For required player protective equipment, consult Rule Eighteen
http://www.worldinlinehockey.org/ima...part_1_2_3.pdf (see page 4)
As you say it is Rink Hockey that you have become involved with, it follows that in the longer term you perhaps ought to be looking towards becoming proficient on 'Quad' skates.

However, as it is not shown in the left-hand panel what country you are resident in, it might be appropriate for you to look to any easements that your country's National Governing Body might have made in respect of the type of roller skates to be worn when playing Rink Hockey in the domestic environment of your particular country.

Regards, John
South West Wales, UK.
http://www.brsf.co.uk
Thank you for the effort in your post. I was using the term "Rink Hockey" loosely. The guys seem to be playing by "house rules" or blend of both, so I dont believe, as of yet, the rules dictate what I wear.

However, you do give me food for thought seeing that the oraginized leagues dictate your choice of skate.

I am from TN,USA. Cheers!

Last edited by rm41400; May 7th, 2010 at 08:28 PM. Reason: .
Old May 11th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #11
Billj
Roll Model

Default Rink hockey

I played rink hockey for many years on a 10 city league in South Florida, the teams I played for are long gone but it was great fun. We followed the rules loosely and although everyone was supposed to wear quads, some didn't.

The long and short of it was that the quad skaters could do things the inliners couldn't but the inline skaters could outrun us in the corners(yes, that's a joke)

if I were going for pure speed AND <-(this is important) was racing a known oval or round floor, inlines rule, period.

When a game gets fun, hockey is almost like roller derby with sticks (and fewer rules). At that point you will out-turn, maneuver and stop the inline skaters.

Use your quads and make sure you have the right wheels for your floor and you will do well.
Billj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 05:29 AM   #12
rm41400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billj View Post
I played rink hockey for many years on a 10 city league in South Florida, the teams I played for are long gone but it was great fun. We followed the rules loosely and although everyone was supposed to wear quads, some didn't.

The long and short of it was that the quad skaters could do things the inliners couldn't but the inline skaters could outrun us in the corners(yes, that's a joke)

if I were going for pure speed AND <-(this is important) was racing a known oval or round floor, inlines rule, period.

When a game gets fun, hockey is almost like roller derby with sticks (and fewer rules). At that point you will out-turn, maneuver and stop the inline skaters.

Use your quads and make sure you have the right wheels for your floor and you will do well.

Cool! That was sorta my thinking but I wanted confirmation from you guys with much more experience.

I have Riedell 595 boots. Any recomendation for a higher boot that is readily available in the states? Or just stick with the low tops?

Thanks for the info!
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #13
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Quote:
Cool! That was sorta my thinking but I wanted confirmation from you guys with much more experience.

I have Riedell 595 boots. Any recomendation for a higher boot that is readily available in the states? Or just stick with the low tops?

Thanks for the info!
Personally I'd highly recommend a boot with at least some ankle protection for hockey use - those sticks and balls can hurt!

here are a couple of options (assuming you don't plan to do what I do and convert a pair of inline hockey skates into quads):

http://www.hockeyreno.com/en/salepoi....html#subhead2

Other Obvious quad hockey manufacturer is Meneghini but I'm not sure you can easily get those outside of the US.

Converting a pair of inlines into quads is my preferred option and this would broaden your options somewhat to include the likes of CCM, Reebok, Bauer and the like.

Now with added Daughter!
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #14
rhetttro
Owner, Pop's Skateland

Rink Hockey boots
http://www.slapshotuk.com/boots.htm
Old May 19th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #15
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billj View Post

id have to disagree on out turn/stop/maneuver.. your skaters wearing inlines, well...they must suck. but it all what skates your are comphy with
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:12 AM   #16
usurhc

Everyone I play with uses Inline and hockey skates. We had a guy show up that tried out his quads and it didn't end up working so well for him. I think one can turn a lot better on quads, but it is a lot harder to "cut" when using quads. I can't say from personal experience, because the last time I had a pair of quads on was 15 years ago, but I would have to say the inline skates will be more beneficial to your game.
usurhc is offline   Reply With Quote