S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Hockey and Other Roller Games
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hockey and Other Roller Games Discussions about hockey played on inline skates, quad roller skates, and ice skates. Also includes discussions about other games played on skates such as roller basketball and rollersoccer.

Old July 8th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #1
OutreachHockey

Question Street hockey startup

Greetings.

I'm brand new to the forum, so forgive me if this is a silly question. I searched the entries, but didn't see this topic covered.

I am trying to drum up some interest in street hockey in the Springfield, MA area, and have a question for you.

This may sound silly, but I'm a little confused about where to go first with a hockey program. I have the approval to run a "Hockey Night" at our church. I have yet to announce it to the community, and have no idea who would participate (I know that another church offers a volleyball night, open to the public, every week, which sounds appealing). We already have a dozen sticks, goalie leg pads, masks, and some cheap nets, but that's it. I was actually going to build a pond hockey (box-type) net for now so that we wouldn't have to worry about needing goalies yet.

Is it prohibitive to request a waiver AND gear for this? I can almost see the waiver, but it seems a little much to request that participants bring their own gear, especially for a startup public sports night. I envision a mix of parents and kids playing for now, and I feel a little funny requiring a helmet, face guard, shin guards, and gloves when we might just be passing a ball around to some 8-year-olds for a couple of hours a week.

To fantasize, I'd like to see a league form around this, but for now it's a very informal event. I'm going to area churches, especially those with gyms, but I'd like to keep it as simple as possible.

I greatly appreciate whatever advice you may offer!
George Roberge
OutreachHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #2
rhetttro
Owner, Pop's Skateland

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutreachHockey View Post
Greetings.

I'm brand new to the forum, so forgive me if this is a silly question. I searched the entries, but didn't see this topic covered.

I am trying to drum up some interest in street hockey in the Springfield, MA area, and have a question for you.

This may sound silly, but I'm a little confused about where to go first with a hockey program. I have the approval to run a "Hockey Night" at our church. I have yet to announce it to the community, and have no idea who would participate (I know that another church offers a volleyball night, open to the public, every week, which sounds appealing). We already have a dozen sticks, goalie leg pads, masks, and some cheap nets, but that's it. I was actually going to build a pond hockey (box-type) net for now so that we wouldn't have to worry about needing goalies yet.

Is it prohibitive to request a waiver AND gear for this? I can almost see the waiver, but it seems a little much to request that participants bring their own gear, especially for a startup public sports night. I envision a mix of parents and kids playing for now, and I feel a little funny requiring a helmet, face guard, shin guards, and gloves when we might just be passing a ball around to some 8-year-olds for a couple of hours a week.

To fantasize, I'd like to see a league form around this, but for now it's a very informal event. I'm going to area churches, especially those with gyms, but I'd like to keep it as simple as possible.

I greatly appreciate whatever advice you may offer!
George Roberge
Our club supplies the equipment for the in-house league. Most of it is old stuff but, once the people see they are going to stick with it, they buy their own.
Craigs list(at least here) has been a good resource for used hockey gear.

We require anyone under 18 to wear a helmet, adults make their own choices.

We do have a waiver attached to the sign in list much like some of the mountain bike trails have. In our in-house league, everyone signs in before playing.
Old July 11th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #3
OutreachHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhetttro View Post
We do have a waiver attached to the sign in list much like some of the mountain bike trails have. In our in-house league, everyone signs in before playing.
Thanks for the reply.

I like the attached waiver: makes the whole ordeal look a little less formal and legalistic.

George R.
OutreachHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 04:18 AM   #4
Curious Cat
Hockey Nut

Definately have a waiver and tell people to bring any skate/skateboarding elbow and knee pads that they have and a bicycle helmet. Something is better than nothing.

Its not unreasonable to ask people to bring some basic padding, afterall your own stink is much better than someone elses' stink!
Curious Cat is offline   Reply With Quote