S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old August 19th, 2018, 10:35 AM   #21
Oicusk82huh

Thank you so much. I really liked the Skate U.K. Basic Skills Program. This is actually almost exactly what I do with the kids now but I cater it for the inline skates, so cones are important. I think we'll do an informal warm up, maybe 20 laps clockwise and counter.

Currently, once they have the basics down, I usually start taking their heel breaks off. This is when they get excited, because they know it means they achieved the "next level." Then we usually start with toe-toe and heel-toe tricks and go from there. I'll focus more on edge work with the quad skaters. Last week the quad kids were so adorable, they learned trains and basic dances with the new adults. We've been having a blast. I never thought so many people would be interested!!!

I've been working informally with these kids for so many years now that our local roller rink has become an amazing place. Currently our rink is closed for a couple weeks, so we've all been showing up to other local-area rinks and teaching new faces. We have some new recruits. It's going swimmingly.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2018, 05:18 PM   #22
zebra1922

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyPatch View Post
No worries, I know it's probably easy to onsell wheels but yea, would be great to try them out, you know.....

I suppose the main problem with this is if you do not buy them, the shop now has a used set of wheels which no-one will buy (well, not at full price anyway). There are so few skate shops, most are small and a) cannot stock a full range of wheels and b) cannot finance a trial set of each wheel in stock (you could be talking £80-£100 a set). You could add a c) that you find you like them but buy them at skatesrus.com instead of the shop, who now take a double hit!
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 06:42 AM   #23
Monkeybeaver

Would like to learn a bit of slalom, but there is no where near me to learn. The local roller rink is as when I was a kid, still a local school sports hall with converted cupboard for skate hire (even though I now live over an hour away from where I grew up). Itís only open on Saturday nights & is full of teenagers going too fast for their skill level, not a great environment.
Have bought some cones & planed to practice on my local park but every time we get time to go I always end up helping my 8 year old with hockey drills.
Monkeybeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 08:42 AM   #24
Oicusk82huh

Agree, it's always been hard to find a good place to set up cones. When I used to set them up outside, there were no other skaters around. Since the local rink got new owners, they let me set them up regularly. It's a great way to improve balance, agility, and become more disciplined. It's a good training tool.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 10:04 AM   #25
MissyPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Agree, it's always been hard to find a good place to set up cones. When I used to set them up outside, there were no other skaters around. Since the local rink got new owners, they let me set them up regularly. It's a great way to improve balance, agility, and become more disciplined. It's a good training tool.
Do you do them on one or 2 skates? I'll have to have a look at you tube.... might be some thing I need to do.
MissyPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 05:21 PM   #26
Monkeybeaver

The local park is actually really good for practice, we have an enclosed multi use sports area with nice smooth tarmac. Iím determined to get some slalom in at some point, found some good tutorials on YouTube. I think it would be good for my little hockey player too, bit of skating variety & the control slalom takes can only be a good thing for the rest of his skating.
Monkeybeaver is offline   Reply With Quote