S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old September 20th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #1
Ice Ramps

Default Skating in Afghanistan

Ok so after 20+ years in the army I hate running so I brought my inline skates with me on deployment since we have a paved flight line for UAV's. Anyway, I consider this Day one. Although I tried it once before but I did not bring my good skates and it was really rough. There was something else I could not put my finger on. I changed the wheels out but it still did not feel right. So I found a pair of next to new K2's on E-bay for $20, the seller found out I was active duty and did not charge me for shipping. The skates arrived a few days ago and they are awesome. So today was the first serious day of skating out here. I went for an hour or so but I pushed myself pretty good so I may feel it a bit tomorrow. I'm going to go easy for the first week (say 10-12 hours) then I will really start to log hours in my training I'm thinking of at least 2.5 hours per day by week two/three.

*edit: Our runway is aligned with prevailing winds so in one direction you are always skating against the wind.

-Dale

Last edited by Ice Ramps; September 25th, 2011 at 03:00 PM. Reason: adding pics
Ice Ramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #2
Reserector
ameteur debunker

Awesome! Skating > running.
Old September 20th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #3
coomes
Endorphin Junkie

Skating on a runway sounds pretty good actually.
Old September 20th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #4
Ice Ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by coomes View Post
Skating on a runway sounds pretty good actually.
It is pretty decent, not great mind you because it was built by local national contractors. Saying there are rough spots would be an understatement, but I am not complaining, I always hated not skating for a year or more due to deployments.

-Dale

Last edited by Ice Ramps; September 25th, 2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old September 20th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #5
Pingar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Ramps View Post
It is pretty decent, not great mind you because it was built by local national contractors. Saying there are rough spots would be an understatement, but I am not complaining, I always hated not skating for a year or more due to deployments.

-Dale
That's awesome you get to skate while on deployment. A year is a long time for any of us on here to go without skating. That was an awesome deal and with no shipping on those k2s from the seller was great of him.
I had a friend who's a big runner. When she came back from six months in Afghanistan. She said she lost 20-30 some lbs while their running every day.
Pingar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:16 AM   #6
WildBill

First, I must thank you for putting your life before ours! I was in the Marines for four years, however, I did not have to deploy. I have plenty of buddies that went over there, and they all say the same thing "it's good to have something to take your mind off of things." It sounds like you found something you really enjoy to help the time go by. Keep up the good work over there and stay safe!
WildBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:37 AM   #7
coomes
Endorphin Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill View Post
First, I must thank you for putting your life before ours! ... Keep up the good work over there and stay safe!
+1

Last edited by coomes; September 21st, 2011 at 12:39 AM. Reason: I wasn't in the Marines so I can't +1 that.
coomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 01:29 AM   #8
Pingar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill View Post
First, I must thank you for putting your life before ours! .... Keep up the good work over there and stay safe!
+2
Pingar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:30 PM   #9
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

I echo the sentiments. Thank you sir!

On a side note, when you get home, are you gonna get back to work on the aggressive ice ramps? That is such a cool idea, one I'd like to see go mainstream.
Old September 21st, 2011, 02:58 PM   #10
Ice Ramps

Default Day Two

Ok only 45min today, as the sun set out here the temp drops pretty fast so together with all the dust and temps dropping I got pretty choked up and called it an early session all in all not bad for the 2nd day back to skating in awhile.

-Dale
Old September 21st, 2011, 03:12 PM   #11
Ice Ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
I echo the sentiments. Thank you sir!

On a side note, when you get home, are you gonna get back to work on the aggressive ice ramps? That is such a cool idea, one I'd like to see go mainstream.
No worries, next to skating its how I have spent most of my life. As far as Ice Ramps goes, I'm not done with it but had some family matters come up that were more important. It can definitely become a real sport though. My website went down right before I came out here, I caught it/paid it up in time but I still have not been able to get the site pointed at the correct servers.

-Dale
Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:11 PM   #12
Ice Ramps

Default Day three

I was feeling some soreness and was fairly tired this afternoon so I thought this would be a down day but around 7:30pm I had a 2nd wind so the skates went on. Today was a bit different I skated longer about 2 hours but I was more rec skating than going for speed/laps. I used to have "two speeds" Go and Stop, I guess I'm finding the gears in between now as well. The moderate speed was not due to just being sore, it was very dark pretty much skating by starlight, several times a small rock would get lodged between the wheels and make me stumble, never fell though.

-Dale
Old September 23rd, 2011, 01:54 PM   #13
Ice Ramps

Default Day Four

Well only a .75 (45min) today, 22-25 knot sustained winds give a new meaning to resistance training. I may go for another round later but it will mean night skating again. Fairly sure I will need new wheels in a month or so. On the plus side not to sore anymore.

-Dale
Old September 24th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #14
Ice Ramps

Default Day Five

Day Five, busy day today high winds with lots of dust kept me inside most of the day. Ended up going out at night again LAPs was the flavor of the day. Light warm-up followed by 15 to 20 laps (each lap is roughly 2000' plus the corners) so at 32,000 feet that should be 6 miles plus whatever my warm-up was. Time was 1.5 hours including warm-up. I have no clue what pace I was going. I'm thinking of ordering a watch with a stopwatch feature on it to help with calculations. Muscles are getting used to the routine again. Joints however is another story. Currently taking 800mg Motrin and Glucosamine Chondroitin to help with that. I did not bring my speed skates with me, so I'm just using some recreational skates but everyday I catch myself looking at some entry point speed skates that I can abuse out here. E-bay is both good and bad lol...

I still need to take some pictures but last several days have been night skating, I'll try to get some posted up soon.

-Dale
Old September 25th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #15
Ice Ramps

Default Day Six

Well after the 6 miles yesterday muscles were feeling pretty tight so only put in another .75 today. It was hot and windy so I may have it again in a bit since the sun is down now and the wind advisory is over in about another hour.

-Dale

Old September 26th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #16
Ice Ramps

Default Day 7

Ok I did not know if I would even skate today, I have been having nosebleeds out here due to how dry and dusty it is. Well I felt better so around 7pm I went out(meaning night starlight skating again). Warm up was serpentine "S" laps for about 15min followed by laps. Today I did short laps since they had the arresting gear set up for the aircraft. This meant 750' each leg so 1500' per lap. The total was 30 laps plus cool down. Just the laps portion was 8.52 miles And feeling pretty good about it too!

-Dale
Old September 26th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #17
jdavis042
Caffeinated Member

Default Dude.....

...That's awesome that you have a place to skate out here. I was at a FOB that had new asphalt for about a year and skated through heat and ice. I'm in Kabul now and don't have access to any skateable spots. Enjoy it!
Old September 26th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #18
Ice Ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis042 View Post
...That's awesome that you have a place to skate out here. I was at a FOB that had new asphalt for about a year and skated through heat and ice. I'm in Kabul now and don't have access to any skateable spots. Enjoy it!

Believe me I am, my last deployment was a dust bowl in Iraq for 15 months....I always hated having to stop skating for so long. Oh I shot you a PM by the way. I'm wishing I had my speed skates with me but I'm actually getting more of a workout with the recreational skates. This area has been known to get snow but I'm hoping to be able to skate through the Winter, at least some anyways.

-Dale
Old September 26th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #19
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Totally freakin awesome!!!
Old September 27th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #20
jdavis042
Caffeinated Member

Default Yup....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
Totally freakin awesome!!!
It really is. People look at you like you landed on a space ship and skated right off the ramp and on the base they are working on. The best is whizzing by runners and cyclist on a backdrop of snow capped mountains. I live for those moments.....

Tags
afghanistan, skating