S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old October 8th, 2011, 07:19 AM   #41
Ice Ramps

Well its day two since the 18.18 miles and I feel pretty good, better than I though I would anyway. The hand warmer pouch worked great on the one trouble spot I had. I heard back from Bont today, they were saying that they are out of stock on the G3 100mm wheels and that they will be glad to substituted/upgrade them to HR 100mm mint wheels. I told them whatever they decide is fine and definitely better than what I have now. One other issue of concern I mentioned to Bont.....they said they would send me the FedEx waybill# when they ship in the next 7 days. I told them that I do not believe FedEx can ship to a military APO address and asked them to send them via postal service. If they cant do this then I will have them shipped to my home address and my wife can mail them to me. In this case I'm looking at like another 3-4 weeks before they get to me out here.....

I kind of knew this would be the case but hoped otherwise. I will be skating later tonight though so at least that.

* edit:I did look at our heat gun we have for our equipment, it is a 1000w 8.3amp gun so I can use my 3000W 20amp transformer just fine. I don't have access to a oven out here so I will most likely only spot mold any hot spots once the boots arrive.

-Dale
Ice Ramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #42
Ice Ramps

Default Bont Shipping

Just got an e-mail from Vina at Bont, they still want to ship via FEDEX so it will have to go to my home in Washington then my wife will have to re-mail them to me out here in Afghanistan......looks like I'm going to be stuck using the rec skates for about another month....... If anyone knows anyone with Bont that could persuade them to ship via postal service just this one time I would be grateful for the assistance.

-sigh-

-Dale
Old October 8th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #43
Ice Ramps

Default Day 19

a Light 6.5 miles today. Heavy winds lots of dust....I skated until I was all choked up from the dust. I had some energy but that burst lasted through warm-up and then my legs felt they were weighted down sides of beef, I guess the 18.18 miles two days ago is still taking its toll on me.

-Dale
Old October 8th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #44
Ice Ramps

Thumbs up Glenn Koshi

Update: Glenn is assisting me with the Bont shipping issue, and he offered to send me a pair of his E-Z Fit booties just because he is that kind of stand up guy! THANKS GLENN! I'm won over, so you have a new customer for life now.

-Dale
Old October 8th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #45
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Hey Dale,
Thanks for your service! I have to know how the Afghans are taking your skating. I don't think it is a big sport for them. It looks like cement you are skating on, is that correct? Have you had any other military wanting to skate with you? Is your "Chain" supporting this? It has to be some of the best mental health possible! It is very cool you are able to skate, sounds a lot better than your Iraq deployment. Keep posting!
Phil
Old October 8th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #46
Ice Ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosk8ter View Post
Hey Dale,
Thanks for your service! I have to know how the Afghans are taking your skating. I don't think it is a big sport for them. It looks like cement you are skating on, is that correct? Have you had any other military wanting to skate with you? Is your "Chain" supporting this? It has to be some of the best mental health possible! It is very cool you are able to skate, sounds a lot better than your Iraq deployment. Keep posting!
Phil
Phil,

I have mostly been skating at night so not to many people even know I am doing it. Also this is a very small firebase and not any Afghan locals around. Yes it is cement, it was sort of brushed and fairly rough though. Yes a few of my solders are wanting to skate too, one has ordered his own pair. As far as the "Chain" goes I'm the senior ranking guy for my side of the base and its my runway so I OK'd the action. I look at it like this guys run out there for PT so I can skate. And yes it is better than my Iraq deployment!

-Dale
Old October 8th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #47
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Dale,

I am on a set of 2011 Bont Jets with the G3 wheels. If you can work the upgrade, do it because the G3s wear fast, and will eventually feel like they are holding you back. I have heard nothing but good things about the G4 Ming green wheels. Also, have you also thought about using sealed bearings, i.e. bearings with shields on both sides, since you are in such a hostile environment with all of the sand and finer particulate? This may prevent the need for extra bearing maintenance. The ILQ 9 Classics are a great option, and they are super tough and cheap for speed bearings. So long as they have metal shields on both sides, that should prevent the need for a lot of cleaning or the destruction of the bearings.

About your 100 mile goal, is that in one trip? that would be a heck of a feat since it takes the top guys in the US 4 hours to finish A2A. You have more heart than I do to even consider it. I am behind you 100% for the 100 mile goal, and your service to our country.
Old October 9th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #48
Ice Ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
Dale,

I am on a set of 2011 Bont Jets with the G3 wheels. If you can work the upgrade, do it because the G3s wear fast, and will eventually feel like they are holding you back. I have heard nothing but good things about the G4 Ming green wheels. Also, have you also thought about using sealed bearings, i.e. bearings with shields on both sides, since you are in such a hostile environment with all of the sand and finer particulate? This may prevent the need for extra bearing maintenance. The ILQ 9 Classics are a great option, and they are super tough and cheap for speed bearings. So long as they have metal shields on both sides, that should prevent the need for a lot of cleaning or the destruction of the bearings.

About your 100 mile goal, is that in one trip? that would be a heck of a feat since it takes the top guys in the US 4 hours to finish A2A. You have more heart than I do to even consider it. I am behind you 100% for the 100 mile goal, and your service to our country.
Donny,

Well looks they (Bont) are shipping the the skates to Glenn K. and he will add the HR 100mm wheels. as far as bearings go I will go ceramic or swiss at some point. I plan on skating even in the rain so I will get some grease packed bearings for the Winter time.

-yes- 100miles in one trip is the goal.

As far as the rest of it goes, in what seems like a past life I was well.....lets just say a very good skater and leave it at that. I was neither famous nor accomplished but I trained with top skaters in Padova, Italy (F.I.H.P). This was back in the mid- 90's. I would probably skate 3-5 hours per day M-F and weekends well all I did was skate.

I am older and mostly out of shape now, but while I cant do anything about getting older I can get back into shape. I skated A2A once along with some friends back in like 1997 or 98 I think, it was the year it thunder stormed the whole way. I had never skated hills before either, I also had oiled bearings in my setup (bad idea) by the time I reached the half-way point my bearings were trashed. So I waited for my friends to catch up and they were hurting so we all called it quits there. One day, maybe next year I will enter it again and finish it this time.

*Edit: pretty tired today and can't seem to shake it off, even with caffeine. I will try to skate some later but it might end up being a rest day. Fairly sure its just that my body is trying to adjust to all the skating again. I have lost weight too already, can't say how much since there are no scales out here. For that matter my body is getting used to exercise in general, I was ice skating about a year and a half or so ago and was actually pulling off some double jump combinations and landed wrong resulting in a CAT 2 tear of my MCL(left knee), this has been a pretty long recovery process.

-Dale

Last edited by Ice Ramps; October 9th, 2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old October 9th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #49
Ice Ramps

Default Day 20

Well I drank a 5-hour energy drink and then we had a dust storm, yep I was skating in it. Not sure on distance since I was just messing around for about 45 minutes, got a few sprints in and worked my edges some. It was way ahead of my normal night time skating so I may do some more in awhile.

-Dale
Old October 9th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #50
Ice Ramps

Talking Day 20(part two)

I skated again today, I did not want to get the neck and lower back pain this time so I skated mostly in a upright position (I know, I know) held a moderately fast pace and went until I felt blisters start to develop, then went some more.

Wait for it................124 Laps of 1500' each = 186,000' which equals 35.227 miles no A2A mind you but more than I have done in years.

*edit: 5-hour energy drinks really work!

-Dale
Old October 10th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #51
Ice Ramps

Default the day after

Ok I was really tired but could not get to sleep even with tylonal PM's I'm guessing the endorphins were kicking from the 35 miles. I finally got to sleep at about 7am this morning. Anyway I was not exactly ready for that many miles, but glad I did it though. I'm going to pop and drain the blisters in a bit. Its raining today which is fine, I'm in no shape to skate today anyway.

-Dale
Old October 10th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #52
coomes
Endorphin Junkie

Pulling for you in your quest for 100 miles. I find that to skate longer distances, I need relatively good form to avoid injury. I suppose you have a hydration solution already figured out if you are up to 35 miles. I usually figure 2000+ calories for a ~35 mile solo skate, which depends on how fast I am trying to go, so ~6000-7000 calories for a (theoretical) 100 mile skate. Some calories along the way would be critical.
Old October 10th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #53
Ice Ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by coomes View Post
Pulling for you in your quest for 100 miles. I find that to skate longer distances, I need relatively good form to avoid injury. I suppose you have a hydration solution already figured out if you are up to 35 miles. I usually figure 2000+ calories for a ~35 mile solo skate, which depends on how fast I am trying to go, so ~6000-7000 calories for a (theoretical) 100 mile skate. Some calories along the way would be critical.
Well the good thing about this being laps is that I can just have water, fruit, and granola bars sitting on the side of the runway. I may take a break to say change socks, add foot powder, drink, or whatever.

*Edit: I just rotated the wheels, they were getting worn already. I'm thinking I have another 3-4 weeks left on them. I may e-mail Glenn and ask him to throw another set of wheels into the box with my new skates. I can just paypal him the money.

-Dale

Last edited by Ice Ramps; October 10th, 2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old October 11th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #54
Ice Ramps

Thumbs up day 21/miscalculations overcome

ok skaters,

Here it is, turns out all my previous calculations were wrong. I went out today with a survey wheel to confirm a suspicion each lap is not 1500' but 1100' I have done a bit less than all my previous calculations. That being said I made up for it in spades tonight. 252 laps at 1100' each = 277,200' so here it is: 52.5miles.

This was in K2 rec skates so I'm seriously wondering if 100 mile goal is enough?

Anyway here is the details at 1730hrs (5:30pm) I had a light dinner, went to my room checked both work and personal e-mails and let my food settle. Also drank an energy drink. At 1900 started skating I had one bottle of water, one gatorade, and one Marathon energy bar. Ok don't laugh but I wear an 8.5 skate but the skates I have out here are a size 9, so I have a bit of room in the skate. Anyway I felt something that felt like a rock or something in the bottom of my skate, I ignored it until like lap 80 when I stopped to drink some water. I took my skate off and there was an allen wrench in my skate. Anyway I fixed it and started skating again but took the bottle of water with me did about three slow laps while I drank it then pushed on until lap 125 when I grabbed the marathon bar, honestly I don't know how old these are but the expiration date was last month anyway it was tough so I took like 10 slow laps to eat it then pressed on to lap 180 where I grabbed up the gatorade to drink. I felt some blister action brewing but I taped my hot spots before I started so I just ignored it and kept going. I was getting tired but had passed a point where I was num to it so I was going to keep going as long as I could. I only stopped because the battery in my mp3 player died so I took that as a sign to stop which was at 20:50 (8:50pm).

*edit: just took my sock off and I have a wicked blister on my left foot this time.

-Dale

Last edited by Ice Ramps; October 11th, 2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: messed up the ending time
Old October 11th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #55
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

As far as I can tell, that is a 3:24 average mile. Wowza. Great job.
Old October 11th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #56
Ice Ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
As far as I can tell, that is a 3:24 average mile. Wowza. Great job.
Well I going to play my own devils advocate for a moment, I have not received my "tally counter" I ordered yet so after like lap 120 there were times I may have screwed up my lap count. listening to music does not help me focus I'm trying to keep it as accurate as possible in the thread but there is the human error factor.

-Dale
Old October 11th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #57
Ice Ramps

Default wheels/dust

yesterday since it was raining I rotated the wheels, thought you guys would like to see the dust I am dealing with.
Old October 12th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #58
Ice Ramps

Default the day after....ouch

Well after the night of skating last night I am fairly beat up, muscle soreness is present but not that bad. The blisters on the other hand are pretty bad, I only put my boots on twice today to go eat and I was limping and in some pain. If I was back in the states I'd pick up some nu-skin patches or something. I may have to cut it, I keep having to lance it but it keeps sealing itself.

-Dale
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #59
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Holy crap that hurts from here!
Old October 13th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #60
Ice Ramps

Default Skating day 22 (light)

Ok this is only 2nd night since the 52.5mile skate. My right foot is the worst off, the blister went pretty deep:

I made some foam donuts for the blistered area used some medical tape to secure them to my feet and skated some, only 24 laps which is exactly 5 miles. I felt like I could go more but I know my feet need to heal up some more first.

-Dale

Tags
afghanistan, skating