S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old May 9th, 2013, 04:03 PM   #1
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!

Default Little things make the difference

After yesterdays skate I once again have a great appreciation for Moleskin padding. Makes skating with blisters so much easier. Not to mention putting on and taking off my skates. Thank you Dr. Scholls!
streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 02:14 AM   #2
princessfluffhead

Moleskin is the best invention ever! I agree wholeheartedly
princessfluffhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #3
PappaWheelie

I have found, after years of marching with gear in the military, that duct tape has always been superior to mole skin. It reduces friction and doesn’t take up space in the shoe.
PappaWheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #4
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaWheelie View Post
I have found, after years of marching with gear in the military, that duct tape has always been superior to mole skin. It reduces friction and doesn’t take up space in the shoe.
That would be for preventing blisters, not helping you cope with them once you have them.
streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #5
PBLsQuad450

I have used Duct tape for prevention and for skating with blisters. It is excellent. Just don't glue it to the blister, use moleskin or something and tape over it. Preventing friction will keep the blister from being irritated further and getting worse.
Old May 13th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #6
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Use number #1001 for duct tape. I learned something here today.
Old May 13th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #7
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
Use number #1001 for duct tape. I learned something here today.
huh ... me too
Old May 13th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #8
PappaWheelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamline View Post
That would be for preventing blisters, not helping you cope with them once you have them.
When you have blisters...take any napkin or cloth and make it just an 1/8 of an inch larger than the blister and then duct tape over. Add a bit of neosporin if it pops.
Old May 21st, 2013, 03:57 PM   #9
WildBill

Having spent 4 years in the Marines, I too can attest to the magical powers of duct tape as a use for blisters - both pre and post blister. lol
WildBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #10
shesk8

Good to know Duct tape has sooo many uses, and also available in cool colors/prints, too.

EzeeFit booties can relieve all-round hot spots or blister prone areas form re-concurring. Typically wear them under a sock(if you use socks), or with bare feet.

Another nicely padded find are gel pads (dr. scholls makes these, or you can find generic versions). I just cut them into the shape needed and stick them to the boot side, inside the boot. I had a hot spot from the edge of the boot tongue, and adhered a piece of this pad onto the inside of the boot tongue. It worked great to alleviate the edge of the tongue material from cutting/digging into the skin (I was skating bare foot).

Lastly, Body Glide(found in any bike shop) helps to deter friction - the main cause of blistering. Comes in a deodorant like stick, you just smear it on your foot, ankles, etc wherever rubbing blistering occurs.

Keep in mind socks can also be the culprit of friction in skate boots. They should be tight fitting, smooth fabric, and made of moisture wicking materials, not ribbed cotton gym socks.

Keep your feet and ankles happy!
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #11
PBLsQuad450

Just FYI... Not all Duct Tape is created equal. I'm an IPG fan. It works the best of the many I have tried (for feet). Don't skimp, you need to cover a lot of area. Vaseline will work like Body Glide, just a dab on the blister and put a band aid over it. It works great. Use good name brand Band Aids that work wet.

So far, so good (knock wood) I'm doing great this year. Feet are holding up like champs. Glenn Koshi adjustments in the offseason are wonderful. I use a Wigwam triathlon sock (thanks OI) over ultra-thin EZ Fits.
Old May 28th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #12
online inline

Default cycling socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBLsQuad450 View Post
.... I use a Wigwam triathlon sock (thanks OI) over ultra-thin EZ Fits.
The Wigwam socks are okay, but i started to notice that they are just not the same quality as the originals, which were made by Ultimax. Wigwam bought them out a few years ago, and the quality suffered a little. Thought they are still a fairly good sock.
But if you want the ultimate in cycling, running, or skate sock, this is it: Swiftwick. I use the Aspire model, which comes in various heights, but the Swiftwick Aspire Two (the two is for a two inch cuff) would probably be about perfect for speed skates.
I compared the Swiftwicks against some new Wigwams, Pearl Izumis, Defeet, and the original Ultimax socks, and the Swiftwicks are just in a whole other category.
And yes, they are as thin or thinner than the Wigwams. But be warned, they do fit very tight, which is why they call them compression socks, i guess.
Link to Swiftwick site: http://www.swiftwick.com/cycling-socks-13-ctg.htm
The best price i found on the net at that time (two pairs): http://www.golfstorehome.com/p-3418-...oe-bundle.aspx

And btw, i never did care much for the duct tape, as i noticed that it often created micro tearing of the skin just outside the perimeter of the area being taped.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #13
PappaWheelie

make sure you get the right size EZfit. I bought what was recommended and it was a “little” too tight, although i didn’t notice until I really started skating. The pain was not just excruciating, but it lingered for hours for a five minute mistake in sizing.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 11:03 PM   #14
shesk8

The ultimate sock: yourSole! I used to wear Wigwams ultimax in past - they got me thru 2a2 along with a roll of sports wrap, but their socks have changed over the years. Alas the quest for the perfect skate sock pursued, for years. After putting yourSole to the test: 100 miles in 3 days (sock only no ezeeft, and I used 3 different prs of the lightweight version) not 1 blister, I was soled!! We did a micro-market study with 45 skaters this past year, all came back with a thumbs up - thanks yourSOLE for supplying us the socks to test out on skaters. Since then I have become a true yourSole Sock snob.

My reference is for the lightweight version, it's better than barefoot, with arch support and no seam or stitch fabric bunching. For lower cuff speed boots the ankle works well, otherwise the crew is good for either semi-race height, slalom skates, or higher cuff boots.
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote