S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old July 23rd, 2017, 12:01 AM   #101
MachV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
I could be wrong, but it appeared that Cheeks has some trouble with the sprints on the 125's. Looked like he could do 2 or so fast laps and then he was coasting 1/2 way or more through the corner. This could just be the skater, but I have seen other 125 skaters do this as well. Seems like the 125's overheat doing sub 9 second laps.

Or could it be the floor is not wide enough if you can get them up to speed? Cheek was going wall to wall and looked like he could have used some more room.

World team skaters can only use 125s for the marathon. So, there's no reason to use them all the time. We won't know unless FIRS changes the rule.

There's equipment for everybody, but not all equipment is for every BODY.
MachV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2017, 02:20 AM   #102
reely?
2016 US National Champion

[QUOTE=kufman;726728]I could be wrong, but it appeared that Cheeks has some trouble with the sprints on the 125's. Looked like he could do 2 or so fast laps and then he was coasting 1/2 way or more through the corner. This could just be the skater, but I have seen other 125 skaters do this as well. Seems like the 125's overheat doing sub 9

He was on all yellow original profile wheel and does take giant steps. If we look at Sabien Tinsons 500m video, he too had to roll going into the corners at hi speeds. Most of the top skaters do roll into the corners and accelerate coming out, crossing all the way up the straightaways.

ICheeks is like 6'5 and probably around the 200lb mark, I can see any wheel heating up under such extreme conditions. We'll see what's next for indoor 125s. Btw, The few skaters on Atom 125s said they liked them.

Spring, TX.
reely? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2017, 01:16 PM   #103
spdkls

[QUOTE=reely?;726732]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
I could be wrong, but it appeared that Cheeks has some trouble with the sprints on the 125's. Looked like he could do 2 or so fast laps and then he was coasting 1/2 way or more through the corner. This could just be the skater, but I have seen other 125 skaters do this as well. Seems like the 125's overheat doing sub 9

He was on all yellow original profile wheel and does take giant steps. If we look at Sabien Tinsons 500m video, he too had to roll going into the corners at hi speeds. Most of the top skaters do roll into the corners and accelerate coming out, crossing all the way up the straightaways.

ICheeks is like 6'5 and probably around the 200lb mark, I can see any wheel heating up under such extreme conditions. We'll see what's next for indoor 125s. Btw, The few skaters on Atom 125s said they liked them.
Also, lets not forget that the "regular" master's were running low 9's high 8's on 125's. Nikki Lee dominated masters on 110 but even he said he's probably going to change here soon. I hit 9.2 during the 4man and I'm not really an indoor skater.

As far as Cheeks. He hit 8.3s during the 30 lap final. He ran about 3-4 laps at that speed.

There were tons of skaters on 125's again this year. Most in the older divisions and a lot on the younger. I still think the matters are good, but the hub still doesn't have any life.

I like the new TLTF BMW hub and hope to see it soon for the track and indoor.
spdkls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2017, 02:26 PM   #104
reely?

[QUOTE=spdkls;726733]
Quote:
Originally Posted by reely? View Post

Also, lets not forget that the "regular" master's were running low 9's high 8's on 125's. Nikki Lee dominated masters on 110 but even he said he's probably going to change here soon. I hit 9.2 during the 4man and I'm not really an indoor skater.

As far as Cheeks. He hit 8.3s during the 30 lap final. He ran about 3-4 laps at that speed.

There were tons of skaters on 125's again this year. Most in the older divisions and a lot on the younger. I still think the matters are good, but the hub still doesn't have any life.

I like the new TLTF BMW hub and hope to see it soon for the track and indoor.
Yes Jesse, it's clear as mud that 125s are catching on for many at the sharp end of our sport. Several of the elite coaches that were anti last season are seeing the light lmol.

What type of life are we talking about? From we need stiff and rigid frames and hubs to we need flex/life? Carbon frames have done this/added life for me, no doubt. Both Tltfs hubs are imo a step in the right direction, but they lose credibility when there own skaters won't even try 125s. Those of us that have been on them for a while know you cannot expect skate on 3xs just like 4x.

Spring, TX.
Old July 23rd, 2017, 03:31 PM   #105
spdkls

[QUOTE=reely?;726734]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdkls View Post

Yes Jesse, it's clear as mud that 125s are catching on for many at the sharp end of our sport. Several of the elite coaches that were anti last season are seeing the light lmol.

What type of life are we talking about? From we need stiff and rigid frames and hubs to we need flex/life? Carbon frames have done this/added life for me, no doubt. Both Tltfs hubs are imo a step in the right direction, but they lose credibility when there own skaters won't even try 125s. Those of us that have been on them for a while know you cannot expect skate on 3xs just like 4x.
We need to find the best mix of stiff/flex. I was on the gold simmons, but as good as it is, it's just too stiff(and i'm not strong enough) to get any pop. The blue is much better and the length isn't a factor with its flex. I think the yellows are too stiff and don't rebound very well(or they rebound too quickly and us older folks don't have the foot speed to match). The greens are better but they are too slow run by themselves. The reason Cheeks and Cameron James are still on the thin profiles is that they roll better and they flex a little more.
spdkls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2017, 05:36 PM   #106
MachV

A little off topic, but I think there were more carbon frames also.

There's equipment for everybody, but not all equipment is for every BODY.
MachV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2017, 07:03 PM   #107
reely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachV View Post
A little off topic, but I think there were more carbon frames also.
A bunch more.

Spring, TX.