S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    


Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2014, 12:10 AM   #1
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Massachusetts: N. Central & NE
Posts: 4,607
Default Best Treads on Quad Plate Boot Mounting

Hi All,

I have a new skating friend that is having a problem with his new expensive boots and mounting.

When he strives to keep both skates straight (like a car going forward) they both want to go outboard. If you are an auto guy you know what is wrong if your adjustments ended with that feeling.

I have a couple of places, people i know locally that could remount his Quad plate. Yet I don't really trust anyone.

Before I do my own search on SLForum, what are your best treads on Quad Plate mounting for a General rink, and maybe rythmn skater. Not Derby nor Speed.

Rufus please enter the waiting room

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
__________________
InDoor Quads: Witch Doctor Wheels, Bones Swiss/Qube-Gold Bearings, Older RollerBlade Wrist Guards -| InDoor Clothes: Cargo Shorts, Sweat Towel
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 08:03 PM   #2
emtdpf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 602
Default

I'm not sure who does them out in your area, but Jay@ Ronaroll in Vernon CT.
I trust with my skates, and mounting... will go back when I get new boots and plates.

there is also Silver City rink, Beverly rink, Hudson rink.and the Carosel twins......

All should be able to remount them professionally.
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:55 AM   #3
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 4,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Rufus please enter the waiting room
If you wish.

But why don't you know the answer?

Oh, that's right. Stupid people clouded one of the most simple
subjects in roller skating. The mount.

Now, instead of a simple, sure answer, you have confusion.

You got coffee and donuts in the waiting room?
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 5,719
Default SImple

The goal remains simple, how to best achieve is more the issue.

Mount centerline of plate under the line that EQUALLY divides the relaxed foot's weight pressure coming down on it, such that half this weight is carried by each side of the plate.

Since foot & boot sole are asymmetrically shaped, and everyone transfers their weight load onto their feet slightly differently, figuring out where this 50-50 weight divide line is located for each person is the main challenge.

-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:05 PM   #5
Mort
Sk8 Ninja
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Huntington Wv
Posts: 3,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
The goal remains simple, how to best achieve is more the issue.

Mount centerline of plate under the line that EQUALLY divides the relaxed foot's weight pressure coming down on it, such that half this weight is carried by each side of the plate.

Since foot & boot sole are asymmetrically shaped, and everyone transfers their weight load onto their feet slightly differently, figuring out where this 50-50 weight divide line is located for each person is the main challenge.

-Armadillo
+1

Without seeing his mount, from what you have said the pate is a little too far in. Not that he actual plate is too far in itself as many may skate it just fine. Though as Dillo pointed out the skater may have a large weight displacement tward the outside edges of their feet.

I think the Dr Scholls device @ walmart is a great way to get a good idea of what bias you may need to use for mounting a plate for a user. You can also look at a pair of their shoes that have been worn a while. It will show where they place their weight.

When taking it to a shop to fix it just explain how it is pulling to them. They should know aboit how far to move the plate to make your skating friend happy.
__________________
Home rink: Roll-A-Rama in Huntington Wv.
"Focus on form and speed is a byproduct, focus on speed and falling is a byproduct." - Matguy
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #6
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 4,349
Default

Lol. You're getting just what you asked for Dave. The nut jobs.

Remember, if you follow Mort's advice, there will be no inside edging.

He even admits it, yet thinks he is right.

Comedy at its' best.

Hope you and your friend find it equally as funny.

Do your skates inside edge Dave?? I am betting they do.

Morts' solution to the problem is, channel your inner Beast and overcome it.

Yo Mort: Nothing but love baby.

You're wrong and have admitted it, yet you keep going.

Low marks for intelligence. High marks for perseverance.

And Dave, the coffee is cold and the donuts stale. Some waiting room.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 11:07 PM   #7
Mort
Sk8 Ninja
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Huntington Wv
Posts: 3,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Lol. You're getting just what you asked for Dave. The nut jobs.

Remember, if you follow Mort's advice, there will be no inside edging.
FALSE
He even admits it, yet thinks he is right.
FALSE
Comedy at its' best.
In your shallow mind.. I guess so.
Hope you and your friend find it equally as funny.

Do your skates inside edge Dave?? I am betting they do.

Morts' solution to the problem is, channel your inner Beast and overcome it.
FALSE
Yo Mort: Nothing but love baby.
Ah sarcasm.
You're wrong and have admitted it, yet you keep going.
First off I don't admit to being wrong, and you cannot claim to being right. You are the one always taking posts and remarks to extreme measures in effort to make your own ideas more valid. Best example so far is my remark about inside edging being more difficult on my daughters skate, simply because its not perfectly in line with your idea of a prime location.
Low marks for intelligence. High marks for perseverance.
Belittlement, always entertaining. Those with some kind of inferiority complex act the same way.


And Dave, the coffee is cold and the donuts stale. Some waiting room. more like snob
Maybe if you'd quit talkin so much sh!t about opinions that you disagree with something constructive would take place instead another flame war thread.

Quit spotlighting me or my doings and clogging up Dave's thread. Your not helping him.
__________________
Home rink: Roll-A-Rama in Huntington Wv.
"Focus on form and speed is a byproduct, focus on speed and falling is a byproduct." - Matguy
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #8
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 4,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Maybe if you'd quit talkin so much sh!t about opinions that you disagree with something constructive would take place instead another flame war thread.

The thing is, I am not talking sh!t. You are. I am pointing it out.

Quit spotlighting me or my doings and clogging up Dave's thread. Your not helping him.
I am not spotlighting ALL your doings. Just the bassackwards mount stuff.
I am going to try and beat the stupidity out of you so your kid gets a better pair of skates next go round. I think that is a noble goal.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 11:32 PM   #9
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 4,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
First off I don't admit to being wrong, and you cannot claim to being right. You are the one always taking posts and remarks to extreme measures in effort to make your own ideas more valid.

When you gonna get it through your thick head. NOT my ideas. Just the right way to do things that has existed for YEARS. You are such an ego pr*ck. Nothing is right unless YOU came up with it.

Best example so far is my remark about inside edging being more difficult on my daughters skate, simply because its not perfectly in line with your idea of a prime location.
That is right. It is not in line. Sounds like admitting you are wrong to me. And actually, what you said before is that you DID NOT CARE if your daughter has trouble inside edging. Nice one Dad.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 01:05 AM   #10
Mort
Sk8 Ninja
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Huntington Wv
Posts: 3,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
That is right. It is not in line. Sounds like admitting you are wrong to me. And actually, what you said before is that you DID NOT CARE if your daughter has trouble inside edging. Nice one Dad.
Look here "bud" don't you EVER post a comment about me or my family again. Cause that sh!t isn't cool and I will not tolerate it.

Sorry Dave rufus cant help himself, he has to be a D bag.

@ Dave: do his skates roll straight if just pushed across the floor? Again, check his footwear, see if the outside edge of his shoes are a bit more worn. Checking that may be a great guide for a good alignment based off the way he carrys his weight.
__________________
Home rink: Roll-A-Rama in Huntington Wv.
"Focus on form and speed is a byproduct, focus on speed and falling is a byproduct." - Matguy
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 01:59 AM   #11
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 5,719
Default

You again demonstrate what a true troll U R rufus, by your constantly repeating pattern of name ("nut jobs") calling.
Clearly you love placing yourself on the pedestal from which you can then label everyone who posts anything that does not fit your narrow minded views, which, BTW, you RARELY are able to defend or explain coherently either.

Gee, if there weren't so many of us nut jobs hanging around SLF, maybe everyone would finally wise up and just listen to the only poster who knows what matters with quads - King Rufus.

What the heck, if all the rest of us are mere posers, why should rufus have to bother making sense, acting civil, or explaining anything anyway - right?

-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 02:26 AM   #12
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 4,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Look here "bud" don't you EVER post a comment about me or my family again. Cause that sh!t isn't cool and I will not tolerate it.
Glad I pissed you off. You certainly piss me off.

There have been instructions on how to do this here on SkateLog FOR YEARS. Long before I came along. They'll be there long after I am gone.
Take weeks, months, years for all I care to learn how to do it. I learned in 10 minutes.

I am surprised at Dave. He has been around a long time. And I'll bet he has a proper mount. He is not doing his art moves with a crap mount, I can guarantee you that. Now he is going to listen to Mort?? A guy who can't get it right himself. Blind leading the blind. Well, have fun. Screwing up another mount.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 02:28 AM   #13
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 4,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
You again demonstrate what a true troll U R rufus, by your constantly repeating pattern of name ("nut jobs") calling.
Clearly you love placing yourself on the pedestal from which you can then label everyone who posts anything that does not fit your narrow minded views, which, BTW, you RARELY are able to defend or explain coherently either.

Gee, if there weren't so many of us nut jobs hanging around SLF, maybe everyone would finally wise up and just listen to the only poster who knows what matters with quads - King Rufus.

What the heck, if all the rest of us are mere posers, why should rufus have to bother making sense, acting civil, or explaining anything anyway - right?

-Armadillo
Sorry Dillo. I misspoke. I meant Nut Job, not Nut Jobs. My bad.

Morts' abject stupidity is rubbing off. I need to step away to regain my intelligence.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 02:45 AM   #14
Mort
Sk8 Ninja
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Huntington Wv
Posts: 3,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post

Morts' abject stupidity is rubbing off. I need to step away to regain my intelligence.

How about the keyboard too? All you have contributed here is slander. I'll go ahead and say what everyone thinks of your asinine remarks. Shut the fvck up. No one cares to carry on in the fashion you do. Proof of it? A dead forum. Consistently rooting up drama builds forums... NOT.
__________________
Home rink: Roll-A-Rama in Huntington Wv.
"Focus on form and speed is a byproduct, focus on speed and falling is a byproduct." - Matguy
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 02:49 AM   #15
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 4,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
How about the keyboard too? All you have contributed here is slander. I'll go ahead and say what everyone thinks of your asinine remarks. Shut the fvck up. No one cares to carry on in the fashion you do. Proof of it? A dead forum. Consistently rooting up drama builds forums... NOT.
Stay away from the instructions Mort…………..

You might learn something…………………..

You would lose your identity………………….

SumB*tch Just too much fun.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 02:52 AM   #16
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Massachusetts: N. Central & NE
Posts: 4,607
Default Thanks Guys

Hey Thanks,

I know a fight, yet I did get some information to remember to have him tell the mounter, just in case it helps to remove that turning to the outside run feeling.

I also thought of some other questions to ask him about his body/feet. Your debate / fight actually helped me remember.

And Thanks Don 'emptf' for people you trust locally. From your list Hudson is probably closest to him and of course it has a skate floor used by speed and art people which is great, so he could try them out after remounting. And of course give them back if they don't work..

I still would like to find older treads to watch this dialog, yet I think I got enough to help him the next time I see him.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
__________________
InDoor Quads: Witch Doctor Wheels, Bones Swiss/Qube-Gold Bearings, Older RollerBlade Wrist Guards -| InDoor Clothes: Cargo Shorts, Sweat Towel
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 12:22 AM   #17
llama of death
DIY nutter/Gearhead
 
llama of death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Washington State (eastern)
Posts: 323
Talking ROFL at all of this.

*Starts singing "Why can't we be friends"*

Also, I am with the 'find the individuals axis of balance' camp. It is slightly different for every skater I have seen so far.
__________________
'A Ferrari won't make you a Grand Prix driver, but a pinto won't even get you to the finish line.' - unknown
llama of death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 02:43 AM   #18
Mort
Sk8 Ninja
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Huntington Wv
Posts: 3,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama of death View Post
*Starts singing "Why can't we be friends"*

Also, I am with the 'find the individuals axis of balance' camp. It is slightly different for every skater I have seen so far.
Yea i call it a preferred alignment. Which is based off an individuals foot posture.


Rufus will be in here in short measure to tell you your wrong, but never offer anything but slander. :/
__________________
Home rink: Roll-A-Rama in Huntington Wv.
"Focus on form and speed is a byproduct, focus on speed and falling is a byproduct." - Matguy
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 03:29 AM   #19
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!
 
gotsk8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Madison, Florida
Posts: 1,393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Yea i call it a preferred alignment. Which is based off an individuals foot posture.


Rufus will be in here in short measure to tell you your wrong, but never offer anything but slander. :/
There you go starting an argument, egg it on bro like you have anything better to offer.
Look, what works for you works for you. It's out of the ordinary obviously BUT that doesn't make it right. It's only right for that app, maybe. The best balance is to have ALL the WHEELS equally balanced or distanced on each side of the sole of the boot. With the exception of art skaters that have a different discipline, if that doesn't work for you then go your route. If Rufus is getting under your skin about your mount then you obviously may have 2nd guess's about your mount, whether you want to admit it or not. If it wasn't bothering you, you wouldn't be on here trying to egg him on, again.
__________________
Genesis 12:2-3
"My neighbors listen to good music whether they like it or not"
gotsk8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 05:46 PM   #20
llama of death
DIY nutter/Gearhead
 
llama of death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Washington State (eastern)
Posts: 323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsk8s View Post
--snip--
Look, what works for you works for you. It's out of the ordinary obviously BUT that doesn't make it right. It's only right for that app, maybe. The best balance is to have ALL the WHEELS equally balanced or distanced on each side of the sole of the boot. With the exception of art skaters that have a different discipline, if that doesn't work for you then go your route. --snip--
Ya'know, this could go on forever. If given the option when mounting I would find the customers true axis of balance (I use a 2x4 with one edge rounded and held on edge to test for natural alignment/balance, then mark the toe spot they center on. Obviously the heel stays dead center.). If I don't have that option I would (never have had to but would) go with a standard mount as described by Rufus. Nothing wrong with a default, but custom is nearly always best.

My feet for example bias in as I am extremely flat footed. So I biased them ever so slightly in to the big toe (I really do mean slightly like 1/8 to 3/16) from "standard". The inside wheel shows just a tiny bit more than the out. So because I put more weight there by default I stay upright and balanced on one foot glides instead of slowly turning like I did on my first few mounts (all "standard").

There is no right plate or right boot. No one and only skating style. So why the heck would there be only one true way to mount skates?

It is personal preference or fall back on default/time-tested-standards.
__________________
'A Ferrari won't make you a Grand Prix driver, but a pinto won't even get you to the finish line.' - unknown
llama of death is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.