S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old November 16th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #1
Starbuck

Default Mapes and flip jumps

Does anyone know where I can find (or does anyone have) a video of a skater doing a single flip and a single mapes? Not a combo, please! Not ready for that!!!! LOL

thanks
Starbuck
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #2
Bill

I'll try to get one of the skaters to do one tomorrow at practice. I'll bring my camera and grab it. club has open practice and is pretty empty. but usually a few skaters there that can jump.

have fun. how are your new wheels?
Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #3
Starbuck

Default wheels/mapes/flips

I like my new wheels very much, thank you, although a) they aren't the super elites like I wanted and b) I got the 62mm by mistake. Oh well. They will do, and have already made a large difference in three turns. I skidded like crazy taking crossovers, but I was warned (did you?) about that. I took the beginner class yesterday simply for the purpose of getting used to the wheels. However, after class and before the afternoon session got absolutely nuts with SEVEN birthday parties (yes, SEVEN BIRTHDAY PARTIES), I did actually manage a couple full rotation mapes. The thing is, I'm not sure if I have the timing or the entrance right so I wanted to see a video. I remember a flip from figure skating, but had a hard time trying that because, despite the rules being announced three times, I only was able to try twice because of brats in the middle of the rink just standing doing what could have been done going around the rink. Anyway, I felt myself land on my toe stop both times and fell on my right side. Again, I'd like to see a video.

Thank you!

Starbuck
Old November 17th, 2009, 02:59 AM   #4
rwsz

the mapes is the same as your toe loop on ice.
Old November 17th, 2009, 03:55 AM   #5
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
Does anyone know where I can find (or does anyone have) a video of a skater doing a single flip and a single mapes? Not a combo, please! Not ready for that!!!! LOL

thanks
Starbuck
here you go.. you wont find any better than this in the world..

SINGLE FLIP JUMP DEMO

SINGLE MAPE (TOE LOOP) DEMO
rolaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #6
Starbuck

Default Videos

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

These are excellent, though I was rather surprised at the typical "Figure Skating" toe loop entrance. Hey, whatever gets the job done! I may go back to using that because I'm used to it - unless you're marked down for it....

Thanks again!!!
Old November 17th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #7
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Question The only mark down would be

Quote:
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

These are excellent, though I was rather surprised at the typical "Figure Skating" toe loop entrance. Hey, whatever gets the job done! I may go back to using that because I'm used to it - unless you're marked down for it....

Thanks again!!!

The only mark down would be, for opening the hip and doing a step around take off, or in the case of a single a Toe Waltz Jump :-D

Footwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #8
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footwork View Post
The only mark down would be, for opening the hip and doing a step around take off, or in the case of a single a Toe Waltz Jump :-D

i dont really think anyone gets marked down for that entrance at all sadly.. well just look at the amount of people that use it at worlds and still come out in the top!! most US skaters have used that entrance now for years too.. its very rare to see straight back technique outside of Europe sadly...
while the turn in is 'not correct' it certainly gets merit.. its a hard one isnt it!
rolaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 03:27 AM   #9
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Default When does it stop???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolaboi View Post
i dont really think anyone gets marked down for that entrance at all sadly.. well just look at the amount of people that use it at worlds and still come out in the top!! most US skaters have used that entrance now for years too.. its very rare to see straight back technique outside of Europe sadly...
while the turn in is 'not correct' it certainly gets merit.. its a hard one isnt it!
A cheat is quite simply a lazy way of doing something.. I was told that it started with the Italians??? But after I watch the 2009 Italian Nationals, earlier this year.. I saw one of the Junior Ladies freestyle events, I assume, lots of very good little girls, and only one girl really did a toe axel for a Mapes. And every one of them had solid Double Axels.. At our 2009 Nationals I watch every Senior Lady and most of the men, doing open hip step arounds, many with a turn out at the end of the jump too??? I was quite amazed.. And looking at the results from the World Meet, it sad to see who is populating the bottom of the rankings??? But when mediocrity is accepted as Good, what can you expect...???

Old November 18th, 2009, 03:51 AM   #10
Bill

Wow great videos. the practice today was minus my buddy who loves to jump. the teen girl there was having an off day so no video for me. all in all I feel very lucky to have a rink to skate at with an understanding operator and dedicated coach. sorry to hear you are sliding with the new wheels. I added some cheap Fame wheels to my mix they grip pretty well and roll ok. and are cheaper wheels. about $35 at many rinks. 95a and 57mm. hth, bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #11
Starbuck

Default wheels, cheat jumps, etc.

I'm not sliding on the wheels as much, now that I'm getting used to them. Now I want Super Elites LOL

Anyway, it's a shame about the state of cheating, lack of practice time, lack of coaches, and the whole nine yards. I guess the big issue here is - and we all know it, don't we? - the almighty dollar. Bill, fortunately for you you have access to a bunch of practice. I - and probably a bunch of others - aren't so lucky. I belong to a skating CLUB and can't get practice time outside public sessions that have 1,000,000,000 people to wind around. The skating club has taken a back seat, unfortunately, to that rink.

My other rink, Orbit) while it doesn't have a skate club per se, has a club Planet Skate that does have perks in that two hour blocks on Friday night, Saturday 9-11am, and 11-1 for free, $5 flat rate on sessions, a T-shirt (gotta love my tshirts) and 10% in the pro shop (which has already paid for itself!) Their patrons, as I've said plenty times, follow the rules.

Anyway, time to quit ranting and go to my legal grunt job that supports my habit.

Starbuck
Old November 18th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #12
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Question As "they" say???

Quote:
I'm not sliding on the wheels as much, now that I'm getting used to them. Now I want Super Elites LOL

Anyway, it's a shame about the state of cheating, lack of practice time, lack of coaches, and the whole nine yards. I guess the big issue here is - and we all know it, don't we? - the almighty dollar. Bill, fortunately for you you have access to a bunch of practice. I - and probably a bunch of others - aren't so lucky. I belong to a skating CLUB and can't get practice time outside public sessions that have 1,000,000,000 people to wind around. The skating club has taken a back seat, unfortunately, to that rink.

My other rink, Orbit) while it doesn't have a skate club per se, has a club Planet Skate that does have perks in that two hour blocks on Friday night, Saturday 9-11am, and 11-1 for free, $5 flat rate on sessions, a T-shirt (gotta love my tshirts) and 10% in the pro shop (which has already paid for itself!) Their patrons, as I've said plenty times, follow the rules.

Anyway, time to quit ranting and go to my legal grunt job that supports my habit.

Starbuck
As "They" say, "Practice Makes Perfect"