S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old May 12th, 2012, 03:10 AM   #101
SwisherTONE
I 'do' Swisher Sweet #143

Location: North Los Angeles Quad Speed Skater www.SwisherSkate.com SWISHER Skating Products (coming soon)
Default Twitchy Geometry???? WTH lol

OK, I kinda chimed out of this thread already. Said my piece about the DA 45 conversations (as an experienced Avenger owning speed skater), but....

I skate a DA 45 chasis(the Avenger) several times a week (most weeks) and competitively at that.

I have nooooo flippin idea what is being talked about when it's described as twitchy geometry. I skate a very light weight solid alloy plate with DA 45 trucks and I skate them fast and hard. They're solid, ultra-responsive, 'stable', and sharp. Twitchy is not a word that I would even remotely consider using to describe them. (5'11" / 180lbs)

I <3 Speed Skating & Derby ~ Swisher Sweet#143 (best Jammer EVER)
SwisherTONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #102
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisherTONE View Post
OK, I kinda chimed out of this thread already. Said my piece about the DA 45 conversations (as an experienced Avenger owning speed skater), but....

I skate a DA 45 chasis(the Avenger) several times a week (most weeks) and competitively at that.

I have nooooo flippin idea what is being talked about when it's described as twitchy geometry. I skate a very light weight solid alloy plate with DA 45 trucks and I skate them fast and hard. They're solid, ultra-responsive, 'stable', and sharp. Twitchy is not a word that I would even remotely consider using to describe them. (5'11" / 180lbs)
It is relative... I tune my truck action, it can be slowed even more. I use cones instead of barrel cushions. The plates are machined in the cushion area for more cushion height. This lets me use a very soft cushion setup, no increase in pressure when leaning the plate over(no cushion bind), lets the wheels stick to just about any floor(Anabolix, the Tire). If the wheels don't stick, time to change wheels. Response is set to my preference, not too little and not too much. So when comparing stock to tuned, there is a big difference in reaction of the trucks/skates.
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #103
SwisherTONE

Location: North Los Angeles Quad Speed Skater www.SwisherSkate.com SWISHER Skating Products (coming soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
It is relative... I tune my truck action, it can be slowed even more. I use cones instead of barrel cushions. The plates are machined in the cushion area for more cushion height. This lets me use a very soft cushion setup, no increase in pressure when leaning the plate over(no cushion bind), lets the wheels stick to just about any floor(Anabolix, the Tire). If the wheels don't stick, time to change wheels. Response is set to my preference, not too little and not too much. So when comparing stock to tuned, there is a big difference in reaction of the trucks/skates.
Exactly! and I've been preaching "Bushing Science" for the longest time... people don't put enough emphasis on their bushing set-up. Kudos to you fierocious1 !!

Old May 12th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #104
fierocious1

Quote:
Exactly! and I've been preaching "Bushing Science" for the longest time... people don't put enough emphasis on their bushing set-up. Kudos to you fierocious1 !!
The cushions are only part of it, changing the trucks angle is more important. But it goes hand in hand to make a skate work the way you want it to.
Old May 12th, 2012, 10:00 AM   #105
SwisherTONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
The cushions are only part of it, changing the trucks angle is more important. But it goes hand in hand to make a skate work the way you want it to.
Well, I know this. I was just emphasizing that you gave regard to the configuration of your bushings being a logistical part of setting up the stability of your skate properly. And I would say that changing the angle of your trucks is 'equally' as important. I wouldn't have said 'more'. But, anyway..

Old May 12th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #106
fierocious1

Quote:
Well, I know this. I was just emphasizing that you gave regard to the configuration of your bushings being a logistical part of setting up the stability of your skate properly. And I would say that changing the angle of your trucks is 'equally' as important. I wouldn't have said 'more'. But, anyway..
That's right ,you got it!
Old May 12th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #107
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

I've tried to stay out of this thread due to it's resemblance to a pissing contest... but feel that I must now comment.

What is good for one skater isn't necessarily good for every skater, I agree that a 45 degree KP angle (or action angle, whatever is actually being measured) will give more turn for a given amount of lean (I don't need a diagram to know this, it's simple trigonometry) but surely suck a plate will offer more flexibility overall?

If you want it to be less turny then run the action tighter or fit harder cushions, more turny then loosen up or fit softer cushions - these are just two massively simplified tuning options of course - mixing cushions offers much more flexibility.

I'm not going down the road of "DA45 is all the plate you'll ever need" but it may be close - I know I've hit the limit on my 15 degree DA plates (they're so loose now that my wheels cut into my boots) and need to up the angle some to get the turning aility I crave so I will be getting a set of Avengers in the next few weeks, if I don't like them (after giving them a couple of months tweak time with the cushions I already have in purple yellow and blue) I'll sell em on and revert to something shallower - perhaps a 20 degree plate.

I know I'll have to adjust my style, to lean into the corners I will have to tilt my ankles more to put less lean into the plate for example but I'm a quick learner

The above is just my ramblings of course and should not be takes as gospel or as support for any particular poster on this thread or others

Now with added Daughter!
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #108
princessfluffhead

Quote:
I have to say thanks. After reading some of your posts I changed out my bushings and did some tweaking on my DA45s and had a better result than I could have imagined. I saw significant improvement in speed last night at session with improved stability. I know some people hate the DA45s, but I am hooked. I no longer like skating anything else.
princessfluffhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #109
SwisherTONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessfluffhead View Post
I have to say thanks. After reading some of your posts I changed out my bushings and did some tweaking on my DA45s and had a better result than I could have imagined. I saw significant improvement in speed last night at session with improved stability. I know some people hate the DA45s, but I am hooked. I no longer like skating anything else.
Hey Fluff! Thank you. I appreciate that, and I'm glad you're experiencing much better skating. a 30* degree kingpin (DA 45's) is def the way to go IMO

Old July 29th, 2016, 08:02 PM   #110
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandKLarson View Post
I disagree with you assessment of the Advantage. I raced on quads "back in the day," on a Proline and had National medals. I decided to race Quads again last year. When I asked the person building my skates, dvw, what can I get, similar to a Proline, at a lower cost, but similar to a Proline, the answer was an Advantage. I won a National title on these plates last year (Classic 2-man relay). Like everything else in skating, and especially when talking about equipment, it is subjective and all about what works for any particular individual. But to flat out say that the Advantage is not good for speed??? You are wrong. It's a great plate for indoor speed. How about you come to Indoor Nationals in Lincoln this year and we put your theories to a test.... Again, I disagree with your opinion. But it's that, your opinion.
I just noticed that I confused the "Advantage" plate with the "Avenger" plate in an earlier post way back in this thread exposing the downside of exaggerated turning plate designs.
My criticisms were meant for the Avenger NOT the Advantage - which is a great speed plate and many derby jammers love it too. Thanks for defending the Advantage and waking me up to my error.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; July 30th, 2016 at 04:35 PM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 03:25 PM   #111
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi Bear View Post
Well guys, I broke down and bought the Snyder Advantage. It is now mounted 2 my used 395's I bought(which say 11.5, but fit smaller unfortunately) and I have skated on them about 1 hour.

Let's just say that I almost broke my neck at first. They are super responsive compared to the Riedell plastic plates that were on my R3's. We tightened the action and I am picking things up quickly. I will keep on them and speed skating practice is tomorrow.

I will keep you updated on the progress I make on them and if I like them. I do at this time.
Are you using the stock cushions? If so, hit up the Doc here for some urethane cushions. They really make a difference. I also run an Advantage and they're as close to the holy grail as I have ever skated. (Disclaimer, I haven't skated a whole lot: Ranalli Rocket, XK-4, Satellite, Laser Hardnose, Ultimate III, Roll-Line Mistral, and Advantage, so YMMV.)
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 04:11 AM   #112
Gee

I have a pair of magnesium plates. They are the lightest plates I have. They are not Sure-Grip. I can not remember who made them and there is no printing on the plate. I was at a competition many years ago when someone was looking for feedback on the plate they were attempting to bring to market. I remember they also gave plates to Scott Cohen and Tara Lipinski.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 10:31 AM   #113
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
I have a pair of magnesium plates. They are the lightest plates I have. They are not Sure-Grip. I can not remember who made them and there is no printing on the plate. I was at a competition many years ago when someone was looking for feedback on the plate they were attempting to bring to market. I remember they also gave plates to Scott Cohen and Tara Lipinski.
Take a few pictures then post in Doc's forum for an identification. results will likely happen .

Now, out of curiosity, what is the fully assembled plates weight (grams)?(trucks, cushions, nuts, and without toe stops) also what is the wheelbase? (center of axle to center of axle)