S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum > Inline Artistic
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Inline Artistic Discussions about artistic skating on inline figure skates.

Old May 9th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #1
jkaplenk
Skating Afficiondo

Smile U.S. Open Inline Results

"And a good time was had by all"

There were skaters from Illinois, Michigan and Virginia. It was about half ice skaters and half roller skaters. Three USARS judges made a special effort to ask to be invited back next year. One said it was better than they expected. The team of skaters and coaches from Haiti had U.S. visa problems and fought to the last minute, but didn't make it.

I had to serve as Meet Director, initial tabulator, camera man for 2 afternoons and Sunday for the Seminar and was otherwise quite busy. We started 45 minutes late due to needing proper forms printed and some clarifications. I'm still busy with paperwork. Next year we will be ready. We learned a lot.

There will be more details including an article in Roller Skating Magazine. The Seminar was quite productive also with both presentations and floor work. The Slalom skating was a hit and looks like a good match for us.

The rink definitely wants us back. After next year we will move it around, probably first to California and then have a Chicago Open besides the U.S. Open.

Some videos will be posted, but we want to make some money to fund marketing for next year's event, so the complete set will be sold.

Joe Kaplenk, Chair
U.S. Open Inline Chicago 2009
http://usopeninline.com

EVENT TITLE
PLACE NAME CLUB

Freeskate Elementary Boys Inline
1 Benjamin Kletzli Riverside Artistic Club

Freeskate Elementary Girls
1 Morgan Hall East End Skating Club

Open A Inline Creative solo Free Dance (13+)
1 Joe Kaplenk USA Skate Center

Open B Inline Creative Solo Free Dance (12-)
2 Mallory Hall East End Skating Club

Interp/Silver Gold
1 Phyllis E. McKenzie Frederick Figure Skating Club
3 Morgan Hall East End Skating Club
4 Heidi Kletzli Riverside Artistic Club

Freeskate Bronze Ladies
1 Ladeene Freimuth None

Freeskate Bronze Men

Freeskate Gold Teen
1 Phyllis McKenzie Frederick Figure Skating Club
2 Heidi Kletzli Riverside Artistic Club

Beginner Solo Dance

Artistic Pre-Teen & Teen
1 Phyllis McKenzie Frederick Figure Skating Club
2 Khary Armstrong Riverside Artistic Club
3 Heidi Kletzli Riverside Artistic Club

Family Show
1 Kletzli Family Riverside Artistic Club

Survivor Bronze

Basic Racing
1 Aleem Talib Fairfax, VA
2 Joe Kaplenk USA Skate Center

Interpretive Adult
1 Aleem Talib Fairfax VA

Basic Skill Elements

Artistic Adult

Free Skate Gold Men
1 Khary Armstrong Riverside Artistic Club
Old May 9th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #2
firefly

Default Inline Open

It sounds like it was a blast!! Wish I could have made it. ......But I'm already looking forward to next year!! Definitely let us know when the DVD is ready.....

Sorry to hear about the team from Haiti. Hope they are able to attend next year...

Glad that the slalom skating was a hit and "worked" with the artistic. It is great to have them together!! Will Megan be back next year? I really missed attending her seminar. Would have loved to find out more about slalom...

Also, do you plan to have the same "artistic" catagories next year? I love your idea to include Interpretive, Basic Skill and Artistic Events along with the usual freeskate (SP, LP) and dance events....SO COOL!!!

Again, I am very, very, very sorry that I could not make it. (Wish I had been there!!) But I am difinitely looking forward to next year!!

And congratulations to everyone who skated!!
Old May 9th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #3
jkaplenk
Skating Afficiondo

Smile Missed you

Yes, we missed you. I'm sure you would have had a blast. Megan talked about coming back along with more skaters. You would have really had some fun with Megan and the Slalom/Freestyle. I think it fits well with the inline figure skating. We don't have figures and the Slalom event gives a great opportunity to work on footwork as well as a sport in its own right. The figure skaters loved it.

This morning one of the USARS judges came up to me at practice and said she felt it was the best skating competition she had ever seen. This bodes well for attracting future skaters.

We'll probably have the same events with the same rules except for a few tweaks. Maybe different moves in the technical only events, but from the same level of skating. The Survivor Solo event worked out a little differently then envisioned and the judge might need a little more judging experience then anticipated except for low levels, but it has great potential. No one else has used this concept. Of course, this was your idea We just had to develop a format.

The Free Skate events will probably have requirements instead of suggested elements. Except for the USARS Inline Free Skate events, the remaining events follow the US Figure Skating Adult levels and so the exact details may have to wait until the new rule book. We also need to figure out which moves translate well. I think change foot spins are more difficult on inlines than on ice.

The Survivor Team event needs some tweaking and rule clarification, but once people learn it I'm sure it will be a big hit Basic Racing will need to be a bracket type event with only two skaters and the best one advancing to the next bracket.

The judges forms will be updated and we'll try to get them out early so people can see how they are judged and give some feedback. There was a little confusion among the judges as to whether an event was to be judged as a technical event or an artistic/creative event or both. This was true even for the USARS show event. Some USARS judges worksheets did not have enough detail in my opinion, so we'll modify them to add more info.

We are continually looking for new ideas and suggestions for next year, let us know your thoughts. We should at least double the number of skaters next year. There was only four months notice this year with details.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly View Post
It sounds like it was a blast!! Wish I could have made it. ......But I'm already looking forward to next year!! Definitely let us know when the DVD is ready.....

Sorry to hear about the team from Haiti. Hope they are able to attend next year...

Glad that the slalom skating was a hit and "worked" with the artistic. It is great to have them together!! Will Megan be back next year? I really missed attending her seminar. Would have loved to find out more about slalom...

Also, do you plan to have the same "artistic" catagories next year? I love your idea to include Interpretive, Basic Skill and Artistic Events along with the usual freeskate (SP, LP) and dance events....SO COOL!!!

Again, I am very, very, very sorry that I could not make it. (Wish I had been there!!) But I am difinitely looking forward to next year!!

And congratulations to everyone who skated!!
Old May 22nd, 2009, 04:38 AM   #4
jkaplenk
Skating Afficiondo

Smile Photos are Published and Roller Skating Article Forthcoming

The first batch of photos from the competition are posted on the http://usopeninline.com website. Just click on the links at the left on the website. The photos are high quality and may take a while to download. I didn't want to reduce the size and am quite busy at the moment and wanted to get them posted. If people really have a hard time downloading it let me know and I'll see what I can do.

There will be an article in the upcoming Roller Skating magazine about the competition. If you don't have a subscription, contact them for a separate subscription or to buy the magazine. The deadline was Monday and so it snould be out shortly.

Joe Kaplenk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaplenk View Post
"And a good time was had by all"

There were skaters from Illinois, Michigan and Virginia. It was about half ice skaters and half roller skaters. Three USARS judges made a special effort to ask to be invited back next year. One said it was better than they expected. The team of skaters and coaches from Haiti had U.S. visa problems and fought to the last minute, but didn't make it.

I had to serve as Meet Director, initial tabulator, camera man for 2 afternoons and Sunday for the Seminar and was otherwise quite busy. We started 45 minutes late due to needing proper forms printed and some clarifications. I'm still busy with paperwork. Next year we will be ready. We learned a lot.

There will be more details including an article in Roller Skating Magazine. The Seminar was quite productive also with both presentations and floor work. The Slalom skating was a hit and looks like a good match for us.

The rink definitely wants us back. After next year we will move it around, probably first to California and then have a Chicago Open besides the U.S. Open.

Some videos will be posted, but we want to make some money to fund marketing for next year's event, so the complete set will be sold.

Joe Kaplenk, Chair
U.S. Open Inline Chicago 2009
http://usopeninline.com

EVENT TITLE
PLACE NAME CLUB

Freeskate Elementary Boys Inline
1 Benjamin Kletzli Riverside Artistic Club

Freeskate Elementary Girls

Open A Inline Creative solo Free Dance (13+)

Open B Inline Creative Solo Free Dance (12-)

Interp/Silver Gold
1 Phyllis E. McKenzie Frederick Figure Skating Club
3 Morgan Hall East End Skating Club
4 Heidi Kletzli Riverside Artistic Club

Freeskate Bronze Ladies
1 Ladeene Freimuth None

Freeskate Bronze Men

Freeskate Gold Teen