S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum > Inline Artistic
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Inline Artistic Discussions about artistic skating on inline figure skates.

Old August 4th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #1
firefly

Default Spinning Technique

Made this video for a friend (ice skater) who wanted to know how to spin on inlines.

Can't find anything anywhere defining "official" technique for inline.
From studying videos of the WC, it looks this way to me, and that's what I tried to copy. What do you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo9cNDOExdc

Note: Discuss technique for first 2 min of video, the rest is just examples of various spins. (Did the best I could on uncoated concrete. )
Is this how you are doing your spins???

Last edited by firefly; August 4th, 2009 at 10:30 PM.
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Ancient1

FireFly,
It is an absolute joy to watch you skate. Thank you so very much.
Old August 8th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #3
firefly

Talking Spins, spins, spins, (oops!...dizzy)

Thanks Ancient!!
I made this video for an ice skater (in France) who asked me how to spin on inlines. The jumps are relatively easy for them (ice skaters) to transfer from ice to inline. (Especially now that we allow the toe stop "cheats" on salchow and loop. ) But anyone who has not done quads has a serious problem on the spins because they are soooooo different... Like I mentioned on the video, ice skaters tend to want to spin on the toestop (which I think Joe K. mentioned is now allowed and refered to as "ice style"). I have found that this is fine for IB edges (and even perferable for most items on the IB), but it is very difficult to do an OB on the toestop and maintain a good controled spin (at least I think so).....
So I am doing the IB on the toe/front wheel ("ice style") and the OB on the edge (front/middle wheel) "roller style." I found that works best.....

Having said all this, it is amazing to watch WC skaters. Obviously, I am very impressed by the heel camels (Bryant, Slade, Marangoni, Traonouez, Urquia), but also noticed some great moves including a wonderful flying sit (tuck onto the IB edge) by Edward Hammond of Great Britain. http://www.inlinefigure.com/news.htm (Half way down the page. Look for his picture and click on it. The flying sit is the third element in the routine.) And a nice IB camel-butterfly-sit combo by Carlos Urquia of Argentina. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz3FF...eature=related (Butterfly at 2:00)
Wow!!! (Firefly sooooo jealous!!! )
Also, Phyllis (Inline Open Ladies champ) has a beautiful upright layback spin which is rarely seen on roller. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06hcTq4k6Xs (at 1:26). Nice!!

Anyways...with the exception of Phyllis, (and possibly Edward Hammond), I believe that these skaters were all WC quad skaters at one time....so that would explain the spinning...... Like I said, I find the spins (especially the OB) much closer to roller than to ice. And of course something like a heel camel has no ice equilivant....

I wish there was some way that all the inline skaters/coaches could get together and discuss the technique for spins/jumps etc....I know it's a competition and a lot of them don't want to "give away" their best moves, but it really would help the sport.
Carlos, if you're reading this... how the heck do you do that butterfly???
Old August 8th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #4
Ancient1

FireFly,
Your spins are very nice as is your technique.
Old October 29th, 2009, 01:49 AM   #5
skatenz468

Firefly -

I think spinning is the hardest on inlines by far, but it is possible to spin on wheels for all edges. It takes an awful lot of practice and determination because it is sooooo much easier to spin on toe stops for IB sit spins and IB camel but once you get them spinning they can be just as good as quad spins. Do your skates have the rocker system? (I skate on V2s and wouldn't change it for the world - I cant imagine doing inline without a rocker)

All the skaters you mentioned below will have worked exceptionally hard to transfer their spins from roller to inline.. it's almost harder than starting from scratch on inlines haha however I have found from my coaching if you teach someone to start on inline and then transfer to quad they can spin unexpectedly well !
skatenz468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 05:05 AM   #6
firefly

I've been told that the Snow Whites are rockered (I guess all artistic inlines are to a point), so yes I am on a rocker.....Wonder how some of the inline skaters go back and forth between quad/inline, ice/inline etc. Have just returned to ice rink (due to fact skatepark is closing for winter and there is no roller rink within a reasonable distance.) Like inline better, but have to go where I can practice.....With exception of flat landings jumps (doubles) transfered over pretty well onto ice. Outer back spins (right foot) are fine but left foot spins (IB)....Yikes!! Can't center one on ice to save my life. Adrian Baturin has a video of himself doing an inverted camel on ice. Carlos Urquia also skates both. And I know Shauna McCullough skates quad. I do think the spins are much closer to quad than to ice. (Which is probably why skaters with ice backgrounds tend to spin on the toestop.)