S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum > Inline Artistic
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Inline Artistic Discussions about artistic skating on inline figure skates.

Old September 7th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #1
picskate

Default Where are the Inline clubs?

Is there a list of rinks that accept inline artistic clubs?

There are skaters in Fairfax Va seeking a rink that will allow them to form an inline artistic club. They have a coach and they have a role model in US Open champion Phyllis McKinzie. Joe Kaplenk tried to get them time at a rink in Manasses, but was refused.

Inline artistic is a sport. The 5th annual Paris Open is scheduled for next January.

Where are our skaters going to pratice?

Should we be looking elsewhere for venues? Inline parks or recreation centers.

In France there are at least 5 clubs and again as many in Spain. Clubs are also forming in Italy, Cypress, Japan, and several other countries.
picskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #2
firefly

Unhappy Wish I Knew

This is a sad situation and has pretty much forced me back onto the ice. I like inline better, but it is so difficult to find a rink/park to practice at. Even if you manage to find an outdoor park, the conditions are usually "difficult." For example, a few skateparks around here will not let anyone on without a helmet, (btw it is pretty near impossible to do upper level freestyle with a helmet), also can't skate in the rain, puddles on rink, worms, bottlecaps, cigarette butts and nastier things I won't mention.....
Schools don't like it because of insurance. (They said it would "hurt the floor," but then they teach it in gym during the semester so......um.....)

Hope you can find something. Keep trying with the few artistic roller clubs that are left. That is probably your best bet. Good luck!!
Old September 8th, 2009, 02:27 AM   #3
jkaplenk
Skating Afficiondo

Smile Stay tuned

Stay tuned.

Many clubs will allow inlines, they just don't have coaches that are interested in teaching them or have the skills to properly teach them. I think a coach really has to skate on inlines to be able to teach them properly. Having an ice background as well as a roller background is quite helpful.

If you have read my concerns about finding a nearby USARS club in the regular forum that has a coach willing to teach inline figure skating you will see that it is a very limited number and the travel is a long ways. Phyllis spends a lot of time on the road for lessons and it is quite disheartening and she is a real trooper.

The club in Manassas, just said they weren't interested in forming a club at this time. They don't have any club and I haven't explored any reasons why yet. Another club in VA said that I could do quads, but the coach wouldn't do inline figure skating lessons. Any locations mentioned by her were a trek. I'm such a busy person and time is a premium for me.

What is sadder is that at the USARS coaches conference there were some numbers presented that only showed about 25% of all rinks have clubs. So why don't the others want clubs, whether they are USARS, NARSA, or anything?

In any case, we expect to have the first of many exciting announcements shortly.

I appreciate all the private emails and IMs I did recieve with ideas for my quest.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by picskate View Post
Is there a list of rinks that accept inline artistic clubs?

There are skaters in Fairfax Va seeking a rink that will allow them to form an inline artistic club. They have a coach and they have a role model in US Open champion Phyllis McKinzie. Joe Kaplenk tried to get them time at a rink in Manasses, but was refused.

Inline artistic is a sport. The 5th annual Paris Open is scheduled for next January.

Where are our skaters going to pratice?

Should we be looking elsewhere for venues? Inline parks or recreation centers.

In France there are at least 5 clubs and again as many in Spain. Clubs are also forming in Italy, Cypress, Japan, and several other countries.
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #4
picskate

Default Dance Studios, school gyms ...

There are many possible venues that are woefully under utilized.
A few.

Perhaps a school or dance studio would be interested in provideing basic skate skills as part of its offerings. Any coaches interested?

Pic skates are floor friendly. No marks. Same material as used in sport shoes.

1. Dance studios. Every town has at least one.

2. Parks and recreation departments. Many have their own facility.

3. School depatments. Lets face they could all use the incme.

4. YMCAs there are several with floors that are under used.

5. Church halls.

6. Grange halls

7. Ballrooms

8. Inline skate parks.

9. Inline Hockey rinks

10. Private indoor soccer and recreation centers.

11. Ice rinks that ice down in summer.

You don't really need a club.
A team will do or solo works just as well.

If skating brings you joy, find a way.

Last edited by picskate; October 8th, 2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old October 8th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #5
firefly

Unhappy No where to skate

The problem with at lot of the suggestions is the insurance. Maybe it is better outside of the US, but school gyms, dance studios , YMCA's, churches, ballrooms etc are afraid you are going to fall and sue. They also want "unreasonable" fees for one person. (You'd need to get a group to split the cost.) $40 for an hour at the school I asked. Also, they said no because the skates "might hurt the floor." What they really ment is we don't want trouble if you fall and get hurt.....

Outdoor skateparks are probably your best bet, but unless it is a designated skatepark don't be surprised if you see a sign saying NO SKATING, SKATEBOARDING etc. put up pretty fast. If you keep going eventually security/police will come to throw you out. (This happened to me at several tennis and basketball courts. Some already had signs when I got there.). Insurance again. Even with the outdoor skateparks it is a pain because most have a helmet rule. Some enforce it, thereby effectively eliminating the freestylists. Was luck to find one that let me get away with it. But two others warned me to put on a helmet or get out of the park. Insurance again. The US is a "sue happy" nation and everyone is afraid of being liable.

Your best bet is probably finding a roller rink that will allow inline and/or is willing to start up a club.....

Last edited by firefly; October 8th, 2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Added stuff
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #6
picskate

Default Thanks for the input Firefly.

Firefly points out the real problem of insurance.

Safty is always important, but will be less and less a factor as an understanding of the sport emerges.

There are more serious injuries on ice due to ice blades. Additionally ice is harder than wooden or synthetic floors.

Forming a team is a good idea.
Skaters are finding ways to pratice.
Momentum is building.

Your success at finding a user-friendly skate venue; be it a roller rink, dance studio, or local gym, should be shared.

Don't be put off by the idea that you might fail at finding the right place.
We must find the formula that works. That means keep trying.
Clearly there are more and more skaters looking to join this sport.

Last edited by picskate; October 8th, 2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old December 24th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #7
jkaplenk
Skating Afficiondo

Unhappy Resistance

I'm still finding clubs that refuse to allow inline figure skates or skaters. One coach I appoached wouldn't let me take lessons there or even skate during their club session because I was an inline figure skater. I was willing to defer to just doing quads since I also do figures and dance on quads, but I guess there was the concern about me being a bad influence on the quad skaters.

The only rink I can find that has good acceptance of inline figure skating is a two hour trek. Maryland is also out of the question due to horrendous traffic getting there and several other reasons that make the closer rinks an issue. I can't make weekends because I'm also a ski instructor and that is a busy time. So I'm stuck for now.

Gosh I miss Illinois with their more liberal skating attitudes. The D.C. area is a big disappointment in this regard.

Oh well. We keep on trucking. There is a new local gym that might accept us. We'll see. We have at least 5 good inline figure skaters in the area, but no place to seriously skate indoors that is close.

We've even discussed getting a group together and buying a building that used to be a roller rink. There are several that have various levels of use. Some still have the floor. Anybody got a few million sitting around?

Joe
Old December 24th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #8
emtdpf

As far as dance studios go.....(yes, I am a tap dancer), some studios have special floors that are very expensive. Others, like were I dance, actually have a pergo floor..very slippery, even with the different shoes. I would not even take my quads on these floors. Also, there is a clearance problem, most studios only have a ceiling height of about 7ish feet. Kinda of short of what a freestyle skater needs......

And another problem with dance studios.... they are small, usually the size of 2 rooms put together.

I do understand about the liability, but realistically, all they really need to have you do is sign an approved waiver.

my $.02
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #9
picskate

Default Keep trucking

You are pioneers of a new sport that is finding its way.
Do the lifting.
Keep on trucking!
John