S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old September 2nd, 2019, 08:36 PM   #1
Refresh

Default Inline skate advice

Ive researched but dont understand what skates best fit my needs.

Indoor rink skating on wood mostly.

Im fairly new to inline skates and bought my first pair Mission Inhalers NLS 02.
I like these skates but they are a little uncomfortable. Maybe 1/2 size too large.

Im a decent quad skater and have 395 boot, snyder plate, bones bearings etc. And love these. Extremely comfortable.

Im just wondering if there is a skate that better fits my needs than the hockey skates. Mostly shuffle skating and general goofing off.

40yrs old 200lbs
Refresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2019, 03:02 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Getting some blades??

Sorry the hockey sk8s are the wrong size. That's never any fun.

To help me sort out what to recommend, what size and what vintage are your 395s?? There are multiple styles over the years built on 2 different lasts.
Old September 4th, 2019, 02:08 PM   #3
Refresh

The quads with 395 boot were purchased new in the padt year or two. Size 10.

I put thick insoles into my inline hockey skates yesterday and it seems to have fixed the size issue. They are still not the most comfortable.

Seems like most of the skaters around here wear either hockey or aggressive or big wheel/long wheelbase speed skates...

I hope im being clear as far as advice needed. Looking for a superior rink only inline skate that i can freestyle/shuffle and are more comfortable than hockey skates.

Thanks!
Old September 5th, 2019, 03:53 AM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

I would suggest a K2 brand lower end fitness skate to start out. K2 Motos or Kinetics... Look for a older close out @ a low price. That should get ya going.
Old September 7th, 2019, 12:50 PM   #5
Refresh

Thanks. Ive looked at them and plan to order today after skating.
Old September 7th, 2019, 06:20 PM   #6
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Default Agree with doc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
I would suggest a K2 brand lower end fitness skate to start out. K2 Motos or Kinetics... Look for a older close out @ a low price. That should get ya going.
This.

Personal experience here..

Articulating cuffs are a must if you really want a comfortable skate. Wheel/frame size would be 4x 80mm on a 243 frame.

Personally I prefer a 273 frame where I can run 76 to 90mm wheels. But some may find it too long, and if you're an avid quad skater , the wheelbase will likely feel excessive, even when using 76mm hockey wheels. Though it does offer a bit more flexibility with choices and uses.

A good shuffle inline would probably be a rockered setup on a 243 frame of 76/78 on the toe and heel with 80mm in the center. If that is found to be too much just using a 76/78 on the front wheel may work well for you. Wheel hardness and urethane thickness as well as wheel profile will also influence the skates behavior.

One of the best things you can do to an inline is getting new wheels that are more performance oriented, as most do not come with top tier wheels Good wheels make a huge difference in the performance of a skate. I'd rather have a 99$ skate with good wheels than a 300+$ skate with crap wheels