S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old April 30th, 2019, 04:39 PM   #1
steveeboy

Default original style Snyder Imperial plates and jump bar

Hi There Doc,

I just upgraded my skate world by buying a super nice, barely used set of riedells with snyder imperial plates.

The plates are old, I think maybe first generation Snyders with no jump bars.

I asked the seller about them and if jump bars were needed--i'm 6'2" 220 lbs, I don't jump but try to learn how to do the whole roller boogie/disco thing.

He said that from what his suppliers told him, you cannot fit jump bars to the original imperial design--something about the angle being different and if I just ordered a new jump bar in proper size, it wouldn't fit teh original imperial plates.

Now, I have perused the forum and everything I can find and I still don't see an answer to this question.

Clearly, the parts are a bit different from the newer models of Imperial--I have old generation pivot pins, they are not black and they do not have the dual nut design, they have the flattened threads for adjustment and then a lock nut.

Also, it appears to me that both the hex nut that locks the king pin in place as well as the cushion retainer washer is a different part on my plate when compared to newer Imperials.

--my hex nuts are flat, they do not have the shoulder portion that holds jump bar and extends into cushion retainer washer.

So, main question: can i retrofit a jump bar onto these plates if I get right size bar, the newer king pin hex lock nuts, and the proper cushion retainer washer???

--I have already upgraded the cushions to sure grip super cushions with no problems.

Or, is that a no go.

I can see it being both possibilities--no upgrade, or upgrade but have to buy several new parts to fit the jump bar which match the newer design.

Guy I got my skates from is riedell rep, def knows his stuff and really set me up with a nice deal on some nice skates.

I just want to make sure that I can skate fine with no jump bars if that is how they were originally designed or install them with the proper parts if I can so its better safe than sorry.

I'm just big, don't want to break anything.

ALSO:

what tool do you use to adjust those pivot pins when they do not have the little hex fitting on there and just the flat threads???

and is there a good youtube video showing this process? I have them right, I think, doesn't seem like they really move around or anything, but reading about it and seeing it done are two different things.

AND:

if you had just come into a set of original snyder imperial plates, are there any essential tweaks and upgrades you'd do to make them even better?

Like I said, I already upgraded to the sure grip super cushions.

is it worth it to get the new style pivot pins (black ones with the hex fitting for adjustment in lieu of that little flat spot on the threads?

do the mod to the king pins for reverse adjustment (seems liek that is a lot more expensive parts, unless maybe when you do jump bars (if possible) you already have to buy the new king pin hex lock nuts and stuff?

the snyder parts are expensive, so I don't want to start tweaking unless it's a good and sensible upgrade.

I've read as much as I can, but clearly these parts have changed over time so I don't want to do anything that doesn't work or I lose money.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND KNOWLEDGE!
steveeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 10:57 AM   #2
rwsz

I think they are fine the way they are, there are jump bars that fix the next regeneration of imperials they bend and are shorter then regular super deluxe jump bars at either end of them. I don't think you really need them to be honest.
the pivot pins just get a thin wrench that fits them on the flat spot and another for the lock nut, have to loosen the lock nut first, then tighten it after u adjust them. don't over adjust they should just touch the cup. otherwise u will break the kingpin.

hard to find parts but they are out there, good luck.
Old May 8th, 2019, 11:37 PM   #3
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Good eyes.

1) Yes the king pin lock nuts are flat since there is no cross bar.
2) The cushion retainers that sit closest to the plate are the same as the other end since there is not a shoulder on the X bar nut.
3) All you need to add the cross bars is

a) the correct size Imperial cross bar,

b) the proper shouldered cross bar nuts

c) the correct retainers.

4) Get rid of the OG pivot pins and replace them w/ the new style. I have seen the ball break off the end of the old style.. Not fun.

5) I would do the reverse king pins. Greatly simplifies life.

Snyder parts are not inexpensive but there is a wide range of pricing. Shoot me a PM.