S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old November 13th, 2014, 10:11 PM   #1
tjyven

Default Best outdoor wheels

I usually skate on asphalt, sometimes rough asphalt. Which wheels do you think is the best then?

Asked eoskates and they said Atom BOOM Wheels XF and at cadomotus they recommended Black Magic X firm.
tjyven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #2
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

If you roll rough surfaces on firmer wheels you will sacrifice some speed because the wheel will be too firm to smooth out the roll. Your weight matters too.

There's a lot of variables with selecting wheels, and there's not usually a "best, or end all be all" wheel. What you end up with is the best choice for a given application. Or at best , a compromise. 99.99% of skaters don't need to get the best gear, they need more skating. So what ever you can afford to pay without breaking you is probably best.

You can look at wheels as a suspension component because it is. Much like a car, if suspension is too firm, on rougher terrain performance is lost. If your on smooth race track conditions, top speed will suffer due to an overly soft suspension that was more geared toward road imperfections.

If its a general skating/session/training wheel get what's cost effective.
Old November 14th, 2014, 02:35 AM   #3
AZ Roadrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjyven View Post
I usually skate on asphalt, sometimes rough asphalt. Which wheels do you think is the best then?

Asked eoskates and they said Atom BOOM Wheels XF and at cadomotus they recommended Black Magic X firm.
Sure they would, look at the price of those wheels. I skate over 60 miles per week on asphalt, some of it on very rough roads. For me I've found the WRW Truth wheels for the money are the best deal. The purple wheels I commented on yesterday are $12 and will give you a better feel and roll than most $20 wheels on the market today. If you don't care then you can get close out wheels on websites for $5 to $8 but they're not the best. Pinnacle and Danger Racing sell the WRW wheels. I'd recommend the purple or Natural WRW wheels for practice or race.

I do love the Atom wheels but again, price factors in for practice wheels. For race wheels money is no object but I'd still choose WRW Truth. Just my opinion and I currently have Five different sets of wheels that I'm testing. I have an opinion on them all. I'm only a fan of two wheel manufacturers and both are mentioned in my thread hear, the others I've tried but felt the money wasn't well spent. MPC and Matter are the hot wheels right now but pricey, and you won't gain anything versus the WRW wheels in my opinion. For my money I'd stick with WRW or Atom as a second choice.
Old November 14th, 2014, 11:44 AM   #4
Furai

I was just about to make a thread the same.

looking for the largest longest lasting wheel with the most urethane.

I don't know about that absorption comment. I roll faster on 90a wheels over 84a. couldn't believe how much less effort i have to put in.
also less likely to get flatspots.

I can't find really large 90a nothing over 72mm some really old 76mm
I'd buy a 120mm 100a if it existed.

I tried the other spectrum of wheels hoping it would help 74a, lasted me 4 sessions to wear out 8 wheels to the carbon fiber cores.
mind you I could only put on 4 wheels at a time.
the guy on ebay owes me a set of 8 wheels and is selling others. I don't even think I'll claim em due to shipping to Aus. (now $25 as of last week)

I'm seriously tempted to buy $1 wheels from china. solely cause I think the durometers won't be right and they'll be really hard.

admitedely I'v been going for the cheaper option on rec wheels. but it hasn't been working in my favour.

mite even buy up 2nd hand skates just for wheels.

ultimately I'v only had luck with aggressive wheels which are generally under 60mm, and if i see anyone selling a box full i tend to scoop them up.
Furai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #5
Code Monkey

Ok, this happened to me years ago but I was told by Debbie Rice (aka, Barbie Bont) to get 85a instead of trying to get the hardest possible. My thinking at the time was I do better on the hardest wheel and I also skate on some really rough asphalt, sometimes on some bad concrete, although I usually skate on nice stuff because I look for it.

Anyway ... I just thought she was wrong. But like so many times, and it gets very frustrating, I was wrong and everyone else is right. I had no idea and thought it was my technique issue because usually that is the problem. However, I noticed my times were always better on a softer wheel. Didn't make sense to me but I go by the numbers so that is what I have been on. Weird.

Now Mort explained it where it makes sense to me now. Thanks Mort. On a track like smooth pavement I can see where a really hard wheel is great but on rougher roads, I have found the 85a is perfect, just like Debbie said. When you know, you know.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 02:21 PM   #6
kufman

Yup, Code Monkey is right. If you even skate on a rough surface, softer wheels are much better. No harder than 85a for the rough stuff.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #7
Code Monkey

Thought it might just be me. Another funny thing is that when I get up to pushing top speed, where I am really beyond my envelope of competence, I do much better on the 85a and I think it is because I feel much more stable on my skates. I feel the traction on the pavement. I feel more control in my skates. I get on the harder wheels and just the tiny amount of slippage, especially on an underpush and I get apprehensive and back off a bit. Hence, slower speed which shows up in my numbers. Now at slower speeds it isn't an issue but when I am trying to best my time that confidence factor plays a really big part in my skating. I bet that is why my times are better on my Cado 3x110 1x100. Lower deck height so I feel more in control when beyond my competence level.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #8
AZ Roadrunner

I think tjyven was looking for recommended brands and wheels, specifics!
Old November 14th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #9
JeffK

Best roll on good pavement: Matter G13
Best all-around wheel for less-than-stellar pavement: Bont Mayhem

The Mayhem has been superseded by Bont Red Magic / MPC Black Magic (same wheel, different label), although last I checked Mayhems were still available at closeout pricing.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #10
matguy

A comment about part of the original question: It's pretty rare that I would ask someone that sells wheels what brands of wheels to buy. Their motivations aren't always in your best interest.
matguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 09:43 PM   #11
tjyven

Quote:
Originally Posted by matguy View Post
A comment about part of the original question: It's pretty rare that I would ask someone that sells wheels what brands of wheels to buy. Their motivations aren't always in your best interest.
Well, see what you mean but when asking for example cadomotus I wanted to see which of their wheels most suit my wishes, not which of all wheels suit me best...
tjyven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2014, 12:17 AM   #12
WJCIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
If its a general skating/session/training wheel get what's cost effective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furai View Post
I'm seriously tempted to buy $1 wheels from china. solely cause I think the durometers won't be right and they'll be really hard.

admitedely I'v been going for the cheaper option on rec wheels. but it hasn't been working in my favour.
Cost effective and cheap are not the same thing. I get about 3 months out of my (indoor) practice wheels. Believe me, I go fast at practice (about 4 hours a week) and there are a lot of corners, which typically have greater forces exerted than straight lines. And I replace them when they really do not roll, which is later than some of my teammates, but likely earlier than you do.

Urethane quality really matters. Try the Atom One, Bont G3, or WRW for training. Actually, how serious are you? Non-banded wheels are a fair bit cheaper, and they are good enough if you aren't really serious. For training they're typically good enough even if you are pretty serious, unless you have a hard time adapting to new wheels on race day or you need that extra edge to keep up with your training partners. The WRW are banded, the G3s are not. I don't recall about the Atom Ones off the top of my head.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 06:56 PM   #13
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCIV View Post
Cost effective and cheap are not the same thing. I get about 3 months out of my (indoor) practice wheels. Believe me, I go fast at practice (about 4 hours a week) and there are a lot of corners, which typically have greater forces exerted than straight lines. And I replace them when they really do not roll, which is later than some of my teammates, but likely earlier than you do.

Urethane quality really matters. Try the Atom One, Bont G3, or WRW for training. Actually, how serious are you? Non-banded wheels are a fair bit cheaper, and they are good enough if you aren't really serious. For training they're typically good enough even if you are pretty serious, unless you have a hard time adapting to new wheels on race day or you need that extra edge to keep up with your training partners. The WRW are banded, the G3s are not. I don't recall about the Atom Ones off the top of my head.
Non-IQ Atom wheels are not banded. I have been racing outdoor on the WRW Truths in 87a, and have been keeping up with the guys on G13s. I like them, they are priced right, and they roll well. Really, though, you kind of have to skate them all to really know.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 10:51 AM   #14
zerkotin

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
Non-IQ Atom wheels are not banded. I have been racing outdoor on the WRW Truths in 87a, and have been keeping up with the guys on G13s. I like them, they are priced right, and they roll well. Really, though, you kind of have to skate them all to really know.
keeping up means you are strong, i kept up with my guys when they were on 110mm high rollers, g13s and atom boom when i was on 100mm korean gyros, bad bad wheels that i thought were great when i was skating them, you get used to whats under your feet if you dont know any better.
so keeping up doesnt say anything about the wheels.

get good wheels it makes a big difference.
zerkotin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outdoor wheel, wheels