S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old April 14th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #281
Pinhy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhy View Post
I just found this thread, maybe I can revive it. It seems like a great thread.

Met a new group of friends late last year that skate in both park trails and urban city street skates. I tagged along on a mountain bike a few times before deciding it looked like way more fun to skate.

I borrowed some small wheeled aggressive skates (Il Capo's) from a friend, and hit the park trail a couple times, before deciding to purchase a pair of K2 Moto 84 BOA. LOVE THEM!

I've been skating 8 mile loops at the park 1x or 2x a week ever since. I've also done one 10-mile urban skate through city streets, sidewalks and riverside walkways.

I know it's only been a little over a month, but I've already started researching 100 or 110 mm wheeled skates for the park. It would make a slightly higher speed possible, and also make maintaining speed easier.
wound up with the K2 Radical 100's.....trail skate is so much more enjoyable now! 84's are now just for urban skating
Pinhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #282
ShadiNeko

Finally got to rollerblade today been planning to do it for weeks now..

It went much rougher then I thought it would, but I'm not going to give up

My original plan was go to down to the lake, but i couldn't even get that far xD, could barely get past my house, and the bumpy sidewalk really shaked me up good..

I was pretty excited and forgot to put my wrist guards on when i left, and i fell pretty hard on my left wrist, i dont think its broken but it does hurt a bit. right after that i went and put them on lol.. don't think I'll ever forget to put them on again :P

but yeah, I had fun, was going back and forth for about an half hour while falling and looking like a retard =P but i had fun, just a bit worried about my wrist...

also got dehydrated pretty fast. need to drink a lot more water I guess. I know that I already don't drink enough to begin with. better get in the habit! yaaay
ShadiNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 03:55 AM   #283
HBlock

Cool MY experience

oh boy, where do I start. playing hockey I'v been flipped, tossed, sticked in the face, smahed against fences, and challenged rival players. being an aggressive skater just seemed natural to me. though I seem to have a strong case of the stupids when I try to soul grind and negative grind anything. I'm great with a ledge, but chicken s!*% with a rail.
HBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #284
Vyolet

So, trying to keep this topic alive!

Been doing leg-muscle exercises and my xl 95 boots are on their way.
Sadly I don't dare to pick up my loan skates since I did notice flexing before on their nylon plates, but some days ago they flexed really hard and whipped at my calve muscles and it <insert negative word> hurt
So cannot wait for my skates to be done!

Also, I took the plunge and contacted a new formed derby team nearby and they got a spot reserved for me to train along as soon as my skates are rolling.
They are all still relatively new to all this so I hope I fit right in!
Vyolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #285
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Not the Nylon Plates

Hey Vyolet,

Yes a Good Topic started by Old Kathie long long ago.

I am guessing that it was your trucks/rubbers that caused this torque and not the plate. You are going to get more action out of your truck then your plate. Now when you get to be a HARD skater yes the plate is important.

Yes Yes Join them. You will fit in and have fun (Been watching new fit_ins since this entire thing got restarted). Love seeing them each week for years. Now the only thing I will advise is BE Prepared (like Scouting says) for Lots of Time. and Enjoy..

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old June 7th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #286
Vyolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hey Vyolet,

Yes a Good Topic started by Old Kathie long long ago.

I am guessing that it was your trucks/rubbers that caused this torque and not the plate. You are going to get more action out of your truck then your plate. Now when you get to be a HARD skater yes the plate is important.
Hmm really? Because I already feel it wiggling under me, the plate that is, and it felt like it was connected to that, like it got to some spike and moved upwards. Interesting *adds on to read up on list*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Yes Yes Join them. You will fit in and have fun (Been watching new fit_ins since this entire thing got restarted). Love seeing them each week for years. Now the only thing I will advise is BE Prepared (like Scouting says) for Lots of Time. and Enjoy..

It was dragging me in, so I might as well give in to it.
And thanks for the cheer on, will read it back when I'll be covered in blue-purple and yellowish-green bumps and spots
But for now, bring it on!
*hits refresh on the track&trace code of boots... again*
Old June 12th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #287
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default On To WFTDA Derby

Hi Again Vyolet,

Well I am glad you are taking the plunge into Gal Derby.

Here is a link http://www.bostonderbydames.com/index.cfm

They are one of the "A" Teams "The Show" in our Boston area.
PhD college gals and the like that are high performers in many aspects of life.

I was hoping to find the link to a post card flyer they are using for this season yet could not find it fast.

Anyway, I know at least 2 of the gals on that post card FOR a LONG LONG time. One was so tentative and seemed very afraid of falling that I thought she would give up. Yet she did not give up and worked for years at Derby. She even went through a Derby injury, which I can't recall, and came back to Derby.

Anyway the Weak and Scared can Prevail..

Old July 2nd, 2012, 03:42 PM   #288
Vyolet

I feel like I'm improving at a better rate since I have my new skates <3
Still a LONG way to go, and I have like, no endurance whatsoever but I am determined to do this!

I try to get on skates every day and it was a big search for the ok spaces to train in the evenings when it cooled down.
Found a parking lot that is lighted but shady packs of people hang there often, so have to keep my eyes open for trouble constantly,which is not nice.
Then I figured out that this new underground parking lot had a perfect concrete floor...

It was amazing, I could feel myself progressing on a good smooth surface!
My radar zen wheels actually worked well on the smoothness.
But, it was illegal, and after 45 mins the caretaker kindly reminded me of that and we had to take our leave.
Had a lot of fun though!

I understand if they let one skate there, there might be more and those might not be so kind to stay miles away from cars that are parked there. But still was a downer.

Today I got a student sports card for summer of the local university. This will allow me to use 2 indoor gym halls when they are not reserved so thats a major up! Had to convince the manager that the wheels won't do any harm to the floor but he believed me in the end. *oof*
And it also allows me to swim free, which will be a nice switch for building muscle strenght.

I will do this, I'm convinced I can do it if I put my mind to it
Old July 4th, 2012, 04:10 AM   #289
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default That Floor looks nice/Management

Hi Vyolet,

I don't know the traction of that floor yet it looks nice when empty. A Great place to skate with the right wheels.

As an idea, if you can get some Derby (Honest Obvious) people together you might be able to talk to the management to get a bye into that floor. Mostly management doesn't like hooligans and trouble causers, yet it also has to restrict crowds onto protected spaces. IF you balance things correctly with maybe 4-5 max skaters they might agree.

Anyway an idea.

Old February 17th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #290
squeegie

Default Introduction.

Hay, I got aproved to post,at long last.

I'm a beginner lerning to jam skate @ it bout a year.5 now and got the skate feaver. Thanks for the warm welcome. I skate reidell 220 boot with bones turbo 97's and cerimic bearings. Just pimped them with neon green laces and lights.
squeegie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 08:51 PM   #291
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Welcome Aboard Pittsburgh ite.

Where do you skate?

Neville Island: DocSk8 skates over at Neville Island once and awhile or maybe weekly. The owner guy sometimes posts. Hopefully he and his wife both skaters are getting it to work out to their satisfaction. It is a challenge getting used to kids/parents for sure.

Donora: Iggy I think 'still' works down South in Donora

Derby Team: I think they practice up North of the City. Know the picture of the rink yet forgot the name.

When you have the time you will want to visit Doc Fred up in Mars. From all I have been told, and we have seen on SLForum, DocSk8 with that changling Avatar has quite a shop.

Old August 21st, 2013, 07:12 AM   #292
bhree
Amateur Potholes Dodger

Default skating in not skating friendly place

I think my country is one of place where most people have never seen a skater. I have cheap recreational / fitness inline skates and it's picky about road that skatable. I can't find a rink to practise skating from newbie level. I learned my first duck walk and shuffle on my house terrace with ceramic surface that's not long enough to gain speed. For longer track I must use the road in front of my house where people pass by on bikes and cars. Fortunately it's not a busy road, with surface made of asphalt. Eventough the surface is uneven but still considered skatable. I have 84mm/82A wheels which is sufficient for such condition.

Still good road, but it poses challenge for newbie like me. First, it's a going round road which has slight uphill and downhill. Learning to brake is an immediate requirements. The surface is uneven and featuring some speed bumps to prevent people from speeding. I took off my heel brake after it caught a speed bump and caused fall. I must learn brakeless braking techniques before i can do correct stride, coasting or gliding. Speed bumps caused me several hard buttfall so scissoring technique is second priority after braking. Gradually I can go around my neighborhood which makes my skating more fun (but i need to try more type of terrain and obstacles to make skating more versatile). Familiarize myself with cracks, potholes, gravels, bumps, some part of the road is rough enough to give instant braking. Gravels succeded chipping one of my wheels and still have no idea to get replacement.

Such condition should not prevent me from enjoying skating, I just want to be where my skting skill is like when i walk, ride bicycle, motorbike or car. I hope I can find the way to make it sustainable enough to continue.
bhree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:43 PM   #293
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhree View Post
I think my country is one of place where most people have never seen a skater. I have cheap recreational / fitness inline skates and it's picky about road that skatable. I can't find a rink to practise skating from newbie level. I learned my first duck walk and shuffle on my house terrace with ceramic surface that's not long enough to gain speed. For longer track I must use the road in front of my house where people pass by on bikes and cars. Fortunately it's not a busy road, with surface made of asphalt. Eventough the surface is uneven but still considered skatable. I have 84mm/82A wheels which is sufficient for such condition.

Still good road, but it poses challenge for newbie like me. First, it's a going round road which has slight uphill and downhill. Learning to brake is an immediate requirements. The surface is uneven and featuring some speed bumps to prevent people from speeding. I took off my heel brake after it caught a speed bump and caused fall. I must learn brakeless braking techniques before i can do correct stride, coasting or gliding. Speed bumps caused me several hard buttfall so scissoring technique is second priority after braking. Gradually I can go around my neighborhood which makes my skating more fun (but i need to try more type of terrain and obstacles to make skating more versatile). Familiarize myself with cracks, potholes, gravels, bumps, some part of the road is rough enough to give instant braking. Gravels succeded chipping one of my wheels and still have no idea to get replacement.

Such condition should not prevent me from enjoying skating, I just want to be where my skting skill is like when i walk, ride bicycle, motorbike or car. I hope I can find the way to make it sustainable enough to continue.
Excellent post, wrist guards are on I hope, and possibly some sort of tail bone protector.
I'd also consider putting the brake back on, just modify it a bit (remove some of it) so it won't catch as rapidly, developing stopping techniques sans brakes takes hours, no brakes for those hours might be err' well, deadly.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:25 PM   #294
bhree
Amateur Potholes Dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Excellent post, wrist guards are on I hope, and possibly some sort of tail bone protector.
I'd also consider putting the brake back on, just modify it a bit (remove some of it) so it won't catch as rapidly, developing stopping techniques sans brakes takes hours, no brakes for those hours might be err' well, deadly.
Thanks, ha3x deadly enough since cars and bikes can come out of nowhere they are kings of the roads, fortunately very few cars and bikes. I could't be happier as I have youtube as my instructor. I'm learning some speed control technique and some attempt to slide stop throw me out of track .
Old September 1st, 2013, 10:16 PM   #295
buddig

A friend of mine told me a good thing allways to have in mind.
Bend your knees if you need to turn or stop, or if you meet some unexpected.
Go a little down in your legs, like the beginning movement to sit down on a chair.
It optimizes the balance, if you meet some roughness, and it is the beginning
to jump over a hole or another thing you need to jump over.

This is the way I train to jump.
// Henning

Last edited by buddig; September 1st, 2013 at 10:18 PM. Reason: wrong youtube link
buddig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #296
bhree
Amateur Potholes Dodger

Many things can be found on the road in my place. Yesterday my wheels caught a bone shard while going a bit downhill. I was scissoring like usual i think. I had tried lunging and managed to take steps to keep balance but the road still got my knee. Without scissoring i think i would have a faceplant.

Last edited by bhree; September 4th, 2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: plural to singular knee
Old September 11th, 2014, 01:36 AM   #297
psychointraining

I'm not sure if this is for inlines only or if quad posts are allowed.

I've very recently gotten into quad skating (meaning I've gone like 3 times haha), I used to skate inlines sometimes as a kid. I don't have any indoor skating areas around me that I can use so I've been in my backyard paved area, and the boulevard of my local beach. I'm finding getting my balance right to be a bit of a challenge, I have to constantly remind myself to bend my knees, and that its alright to fall forward.

I mostly use plough stops when slowing down, as I've done some skiing in the past and its familiar. I've tried using the toe stops a few times, but I end up becoming very unbalanced (is there any way to help with this?). My next goal is to learn crossovers, which are frankly terrifying to me. I think my problem is that I have almost no faith in my left leg (I don't really know why though), does anyone have tips to make this less terrifying?

Eventually I'd love love love to be half as good as Estro Jen... who's video inspired me to learn to skate.

Also if anyone is from the NSW central coast... do you know any good places to quad skate where there aren't many moving obstacles (ie. people and their dogs).
psychointraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 05:33 AM   #298
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychointraining View Post
I'm not sure if this is for inlines only or if quad posts are allowed.

I've very recently gotten into quad skating (meaning I've gone like 3 times haha), I used to skate inlines sometimes as a kid. I don't have any indoor skating areas around me that I can use so I've been in my backyard paved area, and the boulevard of my local beach. I'm finding getting my balance right to be a bit of a challenge, I have to constantly remind myself to bend my knees, and that its alright to fall forward.

I mostly use plough stops when slowing down, as I've done some skiing in the past and its familiar. I've tried using the toe stops a few times, but I end up becoming very unbalanced (is there any way to help with this?). My next goal is to learn crossovers, which are frankly terrifying to me. I think my problem is that I have almost no faith in my left leg (I don't really know why though), does anyone have tips to make this less terrifying?

Eventually I'd love love love to be half as good as Estro Jen... who's video inspired me to learn to skate.

Also if anyone is from the NSW central coast... do you know any good places to quad skate where there aren't many moving obstacles (ie. people and their dogs).
First keep in mind the term "edges" can apply to quads as well as inlines. On inlines we really mean the edges of the wheels on quads it is more of a side bend of the ankles.
Standing still move your right foot farther out to the right (for left turn) with a good knee bend put most of your weight on your left foot. To do this you need to keep your left hip over your skate. Your hip, knees and skate should be in line. Your right foot can be about as far right as you can.
Leaning more left as you pick up the right foot and pass it over the front of the left foot setting the right foot down just before you fall down.
Try this many times in your shoes to get the feel.
Scary when moving on skates?
Try first getting used to the weight on the left foot by taking the turns with "scooter pushes. That's weight on left foot keeping it on the floor and pushing with just the right foot much as if your left foot was on a scooter.
When you are ready start taking the turns lifting both feet (not at the same time ) Something like walking around a circle with small steps, a shorter step with the left foot.
Setting your right foot down a bit farther forward then the left. (not in front of)
Then when you are good at this get the courage up and cross over.
It's better to show then tell but I don't do videos.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 07:11 AM   #299
psychointraining

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
First keep in mind the term "edges" can apply to quads as well as inlines. On inlines we really mean the edges of the wheels on quads it is more of a side bend of the ankles.
Standing still move your right foot farther out to the right (for left turn) with a good knee bend put most of your weight on your left foot. To do this you need to keep your left hip over your skate. Your hip, knees and skate should be in line. Your right foot can be about as far right as you can.
Leaning more left as you pick up the right foot and pass it over the front of the left foot setting the right foot down just before you fall down.
Try this many times in your shoes to get the feel.
Scary when moving on skates?
Try first getting used to the weight on the left foot by taking the turns with "scooter pushes. That's weight on left foot keeping it on the floor and pushing with just the right foot much as if your left foot was on a scooter.
When you are ready start taking the turns lifting both feet (not at the same time ) Something like walking around a circle with small steps, a shorter step with the left foot.
Setting your right foot down a bit farther forward then the left. (not in front of)
Then when you are good at this get the courage up and cross over.
It's better to show then tell but I don't do videos.
Thanks for the advice, I'll start practicing. I think the first major step is convincing my brain that my left leg isn't just going to crumple (I theoretically know it won't but my brain doesn't agree... damn brain). I can do decent turns with my right leg, and have no problem skating on the right leg only for short periods.

My working theory is that my body doesn't trust my left side at all, I'm very dominantly right handed and I know this transfers to most other activities (except weirdly playing guitar ). I defiantly need to build up my confidence. I'll keep updating my progress.
Old September 11th, 2014, 07:22 AM   #300
psychointraining

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNot2L8 View Post
I'm just getting started again... used to hang out at the ice & roller skating rinks in high school (that would be late 70s), then 15 years later got DD, her dad, and myself some inline skates (back in the days before I learned the "never buy crummy cheap skates" rule), we never did much. Another 12 years or so passes, then I went ice skating with some young cousins the same day I was watching the Dog Whisperer marathon. Remembered how much fun skating can be, saw what great exercise it is for people and dogs, and started skating baby steps with my German Shepherd a week ago. With protective gear and a Gentle Leader

Skating with the dog is much easier than I expected, we're going slow right now while he learns he can't heel quite as closely as when we jog or walk, but he's not bothered by the skates at all.
Awww I wish I could do this with my dogs... I have 2 mini poodles. The younger one (shes my baby ) absolutely hates my skates! They freak her out for some reason, she'll run around me barking when I skate in the yard (never close enough to be run over). So I can't imagine having her on leash near them.