S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old April 17th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #21
bnumerick

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Sk8er View Post
I'll be there to watch the elimination race but didn't sign up for it - I figured I'd probably be eliminated pretty quickly! haha!!
Yeah I haven't signed up yet either. I just looked up info on it today. I haven't done any racing that short since the late 90's and I've never done an elimination race so no idea how it's going to go. Might go out the first lap. haha
bnumerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #22
K2Sk8er
Professional Bike Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnumerick View Post
Yeah I haven't signed up yet either. I just looked up info on it today. I haven't done any racing that short since the late 90's and I've never done an elimination race so no idea how it's going to go. Might go out the first lap. haha
That's ok, that just means you get your Texas BBQ before everyone else!! hahah!! Looking forward to seeing you there!!
K2Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #23
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnumerick View Post
All Road Wars are banded I believe. The info on MPC's site says they patented it in 1997.

The "turbo" has a larger band and stiffer hub from what I read this morning.

http://www.cadomotus.com/mpc-turbo-wheel-inside
I stand corrected. I wasn't aware the Road War was a banded wheel. That explains why everyone loves how much they roll. If the price on the original comes down any more, I may pick up a set. Thanks.
Old April 19th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #24
K2Sk8er
Professional Bike Chaser

Looks like they make the Road War in 105mm too; I had some 105mm high rollers and I hated them - sold them to someone else on this forum. So far I am not liking Bont wheels, I prefer MPC. I have a set of Bont Mayhems on the way and I'll give them a try but I'm skating Road Rash on the Road Wars. If I decide to give the 105's another try later in the season I'll go w/ the MPC's. I wish the Street Fights came in 105...

I'm totally slackin' this week. I don't feel like doing ANYTHING...
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #25
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

My only experience with Bont wheels is the G3, and, while it wears well, and has decent rebound, it doesn't roll, I feel like I push and immediately start to slow down. Good for training, though. I was on Atom One IQ X-Flex last year for races. Those things were great. I have a set of non-IQs I will likely be racing in London, that should be interesting. I hear they are like the G4 Mints, but don't wear as well. I expect the Mayhem to feel like the Atom One IQ with the Reflex core, good for most surfaces. I have a set of 87a Black Ops coming, so it will be interesting to see how those measure up. I am a fan of MPC wheels, though, and would consider picking up another set if the opportunity presented itself.
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #26
K2Sk8er
Professional Bike Chaser

I just had someone tell me to do two firms/2 xfirms (the firms on the outside, xfirms on the inside) for maximum performance while racing. Too late for me to do that for Road Rash but maybe I'll try for Napa?

I skated on the mint high rollers (105mm) and the light blue HRRs. I just didn't feel like I was getting as much out of them as the MPC wheels. So far for those I've skated the VTs and the Street Fights; which are my favorites.
Old April 20th, 2012, 02:11 AM   #27
PBLsQuad450

Quote:
I'll be there to watch the elimination race but didn't sign up for it - I figured I'd probably be eliminated pretty quickly! haha!!

I got the firm 100mm road wars. nothing about turbo - although 'turbo' makes them sound pretty fast... I wanted to skate the Mayhem wheels but they haven't shipped yet. I should have the road wars tomorrow.

Another tweak I'm trying is ultra thin eZeeFit booties w/ hyper thin running socks. I have GOT to figure out a way to get a sock in those boots because it is GROSS.
Consider this channeling OI because I use his suggested socks, and you are right, because the alternative is just bad... Wigwam ironman triathlon. Nothing to them and I have learned to swear by them over my 1mm EZ Fits in my custom Z's. They are perfect. And, holding up really well.
Old April 20th, 2012, 03:39 AM   #28
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBLsQuad450 View Post
Consider this channeling OI because I use his suggested socks, and you are right, because the alternative is just bad... Wigwam ironman triathlon. Nothing to them and I have learned to swear by them over my 1mm EZ Fits in my custom Z's. They are perfect. And, holding up really well.
I noticed that too - they hold up amazingly well. Mine have lasted forever. You can see that they are made with a nice, tight weave. They are better made than even my Pearl Izumi socks, and outlast them by a long shot.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 04:46 AM   #29
K2Sk8er
Professional Bike Chaser

I tried out the hyper thin sock (Drymax)/ultra thin ezeefit bootie combination tonight but unfortunately it started raining so I only got about 7.5 miles in. Not long enough to make sure that the combo will STAY comfortable for 28 miles. I'm gonna go with what I know for Road Rash (just the booties) then try again for a long skate next week. (I was having some issues w/ the balls of my feet getting numb & tingly; I did some heat molding and some tweaking w/ how tight I tie them and that seemed to take care of it for the most part.) I'm afraid that if I tweak anything now it'll ruin the race for me. I don't wanna slow down because of something stupid like socks!!
Old April 20th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #30
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

I am a big fan of DeeFeet Aireator cycling socks. Very thin, wick well, and seem very durable. This is the base sock for Adam's Inline socks. I have also found them at cycle shops, and you can get them custom made for teams.

I will have to try the Wigwam Ironman socks.
Old April 20th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #31
online inline

Quote:
I tried out the hyper thin sock (Drymax)/ultra thin ezeefit bootie combination tonight but unfortunately it started raining so I only got about 7.5 miles in. Not long enough to make sure that the combo will STAY comfortable for 28 miles. I'm gonna go with what I know for Road Rash (just the booties) then try again for a long skate next week. (I was having some issues w/ the balls of my feet getting numb & tingly; I did some heat molding and some tweaking w/ how tight I tie them and that seemed to take care of it for the most part.) I'm afraid that if I tweak anything now it'll ruin the race for me. I don't wanna slow down because of something stupid like socks!!
good strategy. I would say stick with what you know for now, and don't use a sock if that's what you are used to doing, so soon before a race. Especially in this case. The added width of using both a sock and a bootie will most definitely put additional pressure inside your boot, and your arch may be the part receiveing the most pressure.
FWIW, my boots fit well, and i know that it is still possible to cause a great deal of arch discomfort by over-tightening the laces. I also have to watch how much i pack in the boot in terms of socks and ezefit. For ex., i needed to use both an ultrathin sock and ultrathin ezefit booties in my customs initially, but since i had Simmons re-line them and add a new, thicker tongue, i now only need a medium thickness sock (no ezefits), and putting any more than that in there will be uncomfortable.
Donnybrook, i have some Defeat cycling socks, too. They are nice, but i think the Wigwams ironman traithalons are thinner, for when you need just the thinnest sock you can find. Actually, the Defeat socks are the medium weight socks i am using now, every day. I have a bunch of these that are theme oriented. Like one is the "Tour de Feet" and is white with red polka dots. They are really nice, only thicker than the Wigwams.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #32
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

If the DeeFeets are medium weight, I can't imagine how thin the Wigwams are. Maybe when I move to Customs I will give those a try. Right now, my stock boots need something to fill the space.
Old April 29th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #33
PBLsQuad450

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
If the DeeFeets are medium weight, I can't imagine how thin the Wigwams are. Maybe when I move to Customs I will give those a try. Right now, my stock boots need something to fill the space.
The wigwams are THIN! I don't wear anything without washing it first, so I expected these things to vanish in the dryer. Then, I expected tissue paper in my boot after my first skate. I kind of still do. When they arrived and I took them out of the packaging I immediately ordered more because I thought, despite OI and his reassurance, these things are going to evaporate. I have yet to lose one and I use them every time I skate. Still surprised by that! They do catch the dead skin and keep it from decaying in your boot too. Very well I might add. I am crazy about drying and having my gear not stink. In order for me to skate on my current schedule my gear must come to work at least 3 days each week. I can't leave my stuff in the car. Sun, heat, wet, cold, not doing it... So I have a space under my desk where my bag goes. I have awkwardly/comically asked my partner (and good friend) in the office next door about an alert that my gear is uncool in the office. We often host students and others in our offices, so it is a must ask kind of question and I am an ex-smoker with some but not tons of a sense of smell back. She is a runner and younger and never smoked. She didn't think the ask was awkward at all. And the gear is holding up just fine. I only mention this to say that socks are good. I skated bare foot for years as a hockey player and if I brought my hockey bag into a workplace someone would have pulled an alarm for just plain gross.