S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old October 6th, 2006, 06:40 AM   #61
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Nice photos Jessica! I love seeing so many of our forum friends in your pictures.

- Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; October 6th, 2006 at 02:48 PM.
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 10:10 AM   #62
speedysktr
President of Everything

Default further musings

Right now is one of the times that I miss the ability to access the old forum. If I could, I'd look back reference the two A2A "essays" that I wrote that proved to be inspiration for a few A2A participants from this board.

I'd just like to point out that it was Jessica that was the first one to raise her hand and say
"I'm in". Now look at her, third place in the longest, most demanding skate race in the world.
Tawni was right, you are the resident IT GIRL

As we skated the last 50 miles of the race, I began passing little invisible markers on the course. Stopped there in '01. Stopped here in '97. etc. They were always due to foot/boot problems. What a blessing to make it all the way without even thinking about stopping.

This was the first time in the last 5 attempts that I skated strong throughout the race. '01, '02, '03, '04 were all races that by the middle of the race, I was in a world of $h!+ and stayed there till the end. Most of those years I was strained well before the middle, but it's the last 25-30 miles that really test your resolve.

This was my 2nd best placement ever 28th overall/10th in age division.
Best was 25th overall/10th in age division in '00.

Aside from my first A2A, this is the first time I've done A2A and finished with a friend. The big difference here is that we were always in a pack (aside from my little solo early on) and after ckpt 3 we were always on the move.

This is huge: We had a negative split for the last half. Someone called out, "Halfway!" and those that were packin', checked their garmins and said, "yep, 44 miles in." I looked at my watch and it said 3:00 on the nut. I commented to Gless, "well, right now, we're on track for 6 hrs".-knowing that typically the last half is slower. Yesterday, upon reflection, he assumed I was bummed about that, but believe me, I was just fine with anything other than DNF. I never dreamed we'd whittle off 11 minutes for the last half. (not to mention the extra 1/2-3/4 of a mile in the beginning) It's just not that common to have a negative split in this race. We were passing a lot of people. They did not have negative splits.

For any of you that are feeling a little post A2A depression, just remember
this isnt the beginning of the end, it's the end of the beginning.

You have 52 weeks to train.
You've watched your friends step forward.
You've listened to to the stories.
This thread is a microcosm of A2A,
The ups, the downs, the pain and the jubilation.
All you have to do is believe in yourself.
You have witnessed a little reality show where skaters from all over the country connected by this board have stepped up, fessed up in the training log and ponyed up on the course producing a 100% finish rate.

Three cheers for the Skatelog A2A Class of '06

Next year's show starts this weekend.

All you have to do is show up and make the choice to look beyond what you see in the mirror,
you will find out what you are made of between Athens and Atlanta.

Mark your calendars 10/7/07
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #63
ldskater
Tha Dark Vaypor

The second they say registration is open . . . . I"M IN!
ldskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 03:56 PM   #64
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
You have witnessed a little reality show where skaters from all over the country connected by this board have stepped up, fessed up in the training log and ponyed up on the course producing a 100% finish rate.

Three cheers for the Skatelog A2A Class of '06

Next year's show starts this weekend.

All you have to do is show up and make the choice to look beyond what you see in the mirror,
you will find out what you are made of between Athens and Atlanta.

Mark your calendars 10/7/07
Quick, someone call ABC Casting I am certain they will agree this is more fun to watch than wife-swapping roller derby queens.

I can see it now:

[cue music: Bruce Hornsby's "Set Me in Motion"]

Start with 30 non-skating couch potatoes
Pick them so they are interesting...(Jealous wife + husband who likes to crossdraft, etc....)
Two teams, Eddie and Barry for coaches,
Races each week for perks and to avoid having to drop a teammate,
Final teams start in Athens
First one to Atlanta wins the big prize...

[music: "and you'll be there, whenever I stumble, you reach out and set me in motion"]
Dev Gnoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #65
Esk8

Default some of you trained for A2A in Florida?

I have LOVED reading all your stories. I'm a slowie (my 2006 A2A time was 8+ hours - but I'm so thrilled with that). I live along the A2A course, so I'm absolutely in awe of you all who did so well (or finished the 87 at all) who trained in Florida!

I have to ask (and I just checked out Jessica's A2A Florida forum) - what do you think equipped you to handle the 87 miles of hills here in your training in Florida (besides youth)? Did you find a parking deck or overpass and do hill repeats, or did you use interval training and sprints? I have only ever trained for A2A on hills (Stone Mtn Park, for one! - just not this year and it shows).

This year's A2A seemed truly special for so many.
Esk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #66
gless

Quote:
Originally Posted by gless View Post

PS besides I'm the one who said 'Speedy's in a group and will catch" when we took off...
Quote:
bastard
yeah well what do you expect...I mean we are 1 mile in and you are already flapping your jaws about one thing or another ....I'm thinking i can handle the hills but 86 more miles of listening to this ??? ...next thing you know he will be singing ......then I had an inspiration...I'm just going to turn around now and go back
gless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #67
ldskater
Tha Dark Vaypor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esk8 View Post
I have to ask (and I just checked out Jessica's A2A Florida forum) - what do you think equipped you to handle the 87 miles of hills here in your training in Florida (besides youth)? Did you find a parking deck or overpass and do hill repeats, or did you use interval training and sprints?
For me I can't use the youth angle. I use overpasses, causeways, we have some small landfills and make monthly trips to central Florida where they actually do have some hills, not quite like Georgia hills but they work. Intervals are always a part of my training even if I wasn't doing A2A.

The other thing we have in Southeast Fla is wind and a lot of it.
ldskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #68
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonPatton View Post
And Jess, I will take you up on your offer to train together next year when I am able to get with you guys. I'm already envisioning some 20 up-and-downs per workout on the major Minneola Trail.
Don
Now that's aggressive! JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #69
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Tawni was right, you are the resident IT GIRL
I thought I saw that somewhere - thanks Tawni, you're making me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldskater
Me too. I will be bringing an entire army from Florida next year also. I don't ever want a2a to die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esk8
I have to ask (and I just checked out Jessica's A2A Florida forum) - what do you think equipped you to handle the 87 miles of hills here in your training in Florida (besides youth)? Did you find a parking deck or overpass and do hill repeats, or did you use interval training and sprints? I have only ever trained for A2A on hills (Stone Mtn Park, for one! - just not this year and it shows).

This year's A2A seemed truly special for so many.
Ahh it was, you have no idea.

We just found what we had close to us and worked with it. Central Florida around Clermont is pretty hilly, and we also spent a lot of time around Brooksville, which isn't too far for some of us to drive. We didn't do just hills - I did intervals and fast flat skates too. I just spent a lot of time in my skates, period. Next year I intend to spend even more time in them
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 09:09 PM   #70
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

I just found the most awesome picture on another forum of me making a pukeface at my friend's injury at the Friday night skate. I laughed my ass off when I saw it so I have to share it with you.

Old October 6th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #71
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

What an expression! The photo also has Radesh (black ilq-9 t-shirt, blue bont skates) who is a local NW skater.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 09:27 PM   #72
gbo
once faster than a wocket

That's Jon B, right?

Great expression, Jess. Are you on 5x80s?

gbo
gbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 11:33 PM   #73
DonPatton
Gadget Guy

Default Me too, me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldskater View Post

I'm with you, Lenny. I'm there next year. I've already signed up for Disney, Saint Paul, and Duluth so they just need to open up A2A registration and I'll make the same circuit next year that I did this year.
DonPatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2006, 12:50 AM   #74
Pepper Montana

This is for Speedy! This is from Northshore.

Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2006, 03:08 AM   #75
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Cool dm!

gbo, they're 84's but they were worn down to about 80. That's John Jerome - different John
Old October 7th, 2006, 01:41 PM   #76
Pepper Montana

I found this yesterday. It is fun to play with!

http://bighugelabs.com/flickr/motivator.php
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #77
speedysktr
President of Everything

dave you rock.
thanks bro.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2006, 08:39 PM   #78
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morgan View Post
I found this yesterday. It is fun to play with!

http://bighugelabs.com/flickr/motivator.php
Uh oh. That thing has a lot of potential. Now if only I had the time...
Old October 9th, 2006, 05:57 PM   #79
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Although all indications were that we had plenty of time to take pictures (an almost 10 hour road time) we just were'nt in the picture taking mode during the event. Here's what we've got, a few prior, a couple during, some post. Just sharing what we've got outside of the content of our hearts. JB

Your's truly in the grey overshirt with a normal shot of Jessica - FROM BEHIND

Night skate underway.

Through the steets

A familiar face

Jon B., the Napalm Balm, & NWGlenn (first encounters)

Don P., NWGlenn, Jessica, Napalm, Jon B., & John J.

The beginning and end of it all, Piedmont Par - Huge Park, with NO vehicular traffic!

Another view of Piedmont Park

Out of downtown area and underway

This guy skated the whole route backwards, and still crossed the line before us!

The "stragglers paceline" finish, including our backwards skater on far left

An aerial view of part of the route from on top of Stone Mountain.

Jessica claiming her Atlanta mineral rights Sunday night

Jessica and Speedy gloating with a game of Pattycake, while John J. thumbs his nose at the childish display.

And finally, a picture of Jon B. and Napalm "pleased" with each other despite Dev Knolls perception to the contrary.

Aside from pictures of Stone Mountain, I think that's all I've got. JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #80
Intrepid

I am a week late posting to this thread but I thought that I would add my congratulations to all of the skaters on this board that participated in A2A. I am part of the Skater’s Quest team that is from the Washington, DC area. Our team had 23 skaters at this year’s event which is our largest A2A contingent since 2002. Because many of us have skated A2A in previous years, including the rainy 2004 87-miler, all but two of us opted this year to try the 52-miler to see what its like to skate that distance. It turns out that the 52-mile distance is still quite a challenge especially if you are trying to keep a constant pace throughout the course. We had a great time, everyone finished but two; one 87-miler and one 52-miler because of severe road rash. BTW: I did finish in first place in the M50-59 category. (The finish times on the 52-milers on the A2A web site have not been adjusted for the 10:00 start time, you need to subtract 2 and a half hours from the posted times.)

I think many of you saw the skaters in devil costumes at the Friday Night Skate, well, that is several of our “party” skaters . At our last practice in DC, they decided to wear devil costumes for the skate. Just for the record, here is a picture of us in our work clothes at the 52-mile start area.

Congratulations again to everyone who skated A2A!

Howard

Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote