S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old April 14th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #1
Team Shicoff
Vegan Endurance Athlete

Default 2011 Texas Road Rash - April 16th-17th - Round Rock (Austin), TX

// Kinda surprised there wasn't a thread for this.

8th Annual 2011 Texas Road Rash
Round Rock, TX (near Austin)

Website here: http://texasroadrash.com/

Elimination Races on Saturday, 4/16 at 4pm
Full or Half Marathon Races, 4/17 at 8am

(note the course is a bit long - ~28 miles (45km) for a full marathon)

So, who's going?
Team Shicoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 01:14 AM   #2
Team Shicoff
Vegan Endurance Athlete

Default results up!

Results here: http://www.cadencesportsonline.com/pdf/355_overall.pdf
Team Shicoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 01:25 AM   #3
nlinesk8gal
go fast, no stop signs!

Default re: Texas Roas Rash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Shicoff View Post
Congrats to those who skated for a good race and taking home the cheese grater and not the road rash to go with it!
nlinesk8gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 02:56 AM   #4
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

Err, Uhh, Ahem, Hello!? Am I in the right place? I know they held the TRR since I read about in The Inline Planet, but three posts and no personal race accounts?!!!

Ahhhhh!!! I need my vicarious race fix and I need it now! Untill then, ...

LezSk8
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #5
slowlyspeedskating

Default Haven't even skated outside yet...

I doubt many skaters in the northern states have had much a chance to train outside this early in the season. It was a long, cold winter. As for my neck of the woods, it's been warm enough for the last few weeks, but it seems to rain every day - not just rain, but storms and big 'ol wind gusts. Not exactly good training weather... besides, indoor season is still going on.
slowlyspeedskating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 12:18 AM   #6
slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Shicoff View Post
Glad you didn't fulfill your dire prediction of 2+ hours. Wish I had the conditioning and free time to justify making it down again this year.

-Brian
slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 01:25 AM   #7
Code Monkey

LezSk8,

Oh you should have been there, it was great fun!!!

Let's see first off before I go off talking about myself... the weather was absolutely beautiful. Perfect. I think around 8:00 am when it started it was around 65 degrees F. No wind. Beautiful. Oh wait,... the day before there were elimination races and that was incredible to watch. So fast. Ok, back to Sunday. I did the half marathon because I haven't been able to train much lately and the week before I did a trial run and felt like I died. Of course it was my stupidity. Didn't eat dinner the night before, skipped breakfast and drove two hours drinking coffee. Then did the course as soon as I arrived. Bonked big time. Oops sorry, about me again. Ok, things I loved about the race was as I was doing my half marathon, Joey Mantia zoomed passed me twice. Ok, my three laps to his six and he laps me. The other thing I loved was when he passes you it feels like you are getting passed by a car. I mean you feel wind pushing you. Incredible and something to experience. No way could I even think about staying with him for a microsecond but what I did try to do was mimic his technique for a few seconds before he was out of telescopic range. I really tried hard and my leg length is nearly the same but by the time I got my leg around he was through with his other leg and starting the push on the same leg I was on. Ok, it was incredible to see so close up. He finished in record time I think and was five minutes ahead of second place and second place was fast! That is what really made the race so wonderful for me being that I'm just some average 55 year old huffing along, I got to see really up close a phenomenally great skater.

The other thing is he is a great man and sportsman. I went up to just say hi and look at him and he was very nice and just sort of grinned and laughed, probably thinking who is this strange man but with the style of not letting on.

The wind did pick up and by the time the half was over the full marathoners were battling some wind. Personally I think it was Joey zooming all over the place causing severe turbulence throughout the state of Texas. There were people dressed up, roller derby girls toughing it out on quads and teams zooming by, it was great to see.

Since it was my first race I had to go see people I just have seen and read on the internet. Of course first stop was Debbie Rice because, well, just because. She grinned and laughed a bit at what I said and then ran away. She wasn't screaming which was nice. She wasn't wearing her skates so she might have gone faster but she did move at a good clip regardless.

Then there was the Bar-B-Q because in Texas you can't go three feet without someone making it. It was very good and I topped it off with a beer because I was still carbo loading.

I kept looking up toward the sky hoping I would see Jessica but never did, just burned my retinas out. But I poured cold beer over them, which is the treatment for such things in Texas and I was fine.

I will definitely be there next year and the next and the next until I am no longer. Can't say until I can't skate anymore because if you saw me skate you might say well that's it for you buddy. And it ain't!!!
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 01:37 AM   #8
Code Monkey

Oh another thing. When I skate you don't hear my bearings. When Joey passed me twice I heard his bearings ringing. Really cool thing to experience. The course had a few little hills and curves which made it big fun but nothing to hard to kill the skater such as myself.

On the elimination races the first one, Joey started out in the back. Everyone was in front of him and I was thinking no way in one lap he was going to place. All of these guys are exceptionally fast skaters and they were pouring it on. Then as they rounded the first turn he started to move up and then shot out on the second turn, and then he just pulled away and before the others made it to the beginning of the third turn he was already close to the finish. It was an amazing thing to see and if you ever get a chance to see him skate it is worth the price. Better still if you can be in the same race like in the Texas Road Rash and have the previlege of getting lapped by him, and seeing him working, it is worth the price of admission.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 11:27 PM   #9
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Sorry I didn't make it this year - I really do love the Texas race and I want to go back but something always seems to happen to prevent me from going. I will see you next year! (unless you decide to leave Texas for another race )
Old May 5th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #10
Code Monkey

Hey I totally understand. I was just lucky this year to be able to make it. I really did look for you. I will be doing the NYC 100K (marathon distance) and the Houston Marathon.

Hopefully next year I will be good enough to be able to skate with you for a bit.

My best to you and your son and mom, hope all is well.
Old May 12th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #11
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

Code, once again you've come through for us skaters. Thanks for your outstanding account. I probably did my last race at the Squiggy a couple years ago, but I sure have enjoyed skating in them.

I hope I will see or skate with Joey before I hang 'um up for good. I remember my first event at Disney in 2003's half marathon. Like you, I was in mid-course when the pro marathon lead pack flew by sounding like a tornado or run-away freight train. I got caught in the vortex and rolled 100 feet without lifting a skate. They averaged 23 mph on that transitional venue! Awesome, eye-popping stuff!!!

Again, thanks for giving me a whiff of the Texas wind, and ...

LezSk8!